Why become a member? ×

Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub

ShaunB

I'm not playing this as much as I hoped and there's an opportunity for a US Lakkie on the horizon, so anybody in the marketplace for a very little used, perfect nick Black Bob Glaub (original "aged" white pickguard included) with a Gator hard case for £600?
I'm down in Poole (or up in Poole - whichever way you're standing) for collection/meet or can send via my local shop for £35 next day insured.

Edited by ShaunB

...never having the opportunity to play a US Lakland, I canny tell you... this from Lakland: "Most Skylines arrive at the Lakland factory fully finished, except for electronics. Lakland luthiers inspect each bass and do refinements according to an incredibly thorough set-up procedure that ensures each bass has proper string alignment, neck relief, fretting, tuner installation integrity, etc. The Skylines are then installed with the same electronics as the US models (except for the 01 models which are shipped with Korean electronics.) No Skyline bass leaves the Lakland facility until it’s properly set up and in prime playing condition..."
I've had nothing but great service from Lakland over the last couple of years and received emails directly from Dan Lakin regarding my 44-02D - nowt better than the horses mouth.
Versus Fender I'm biased, as I love the Lakland neck radius over Fender's - and a good bang for the buck IMO.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='48170' date='Aug 21 2007, 09:31 AM']mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i know nothing of lakland basses, how do they compare quality wise with US Laklands and even US Fenders? I'm guessing these use all US hardware but are bolted together in Korea?[/quote]

I bought a Skyline Bob Glaub from the States just about 12 months ago. This was an ex-endorsee's bass and had a few extras fitted - a non standard scratchplate and pickup cover being the main differences. All the *extra* stuff was cosmetic only, in terms of build and electrics it was bog-standard Skyline Bob Glaub.

I figured I'd use it as a backup to my much loved '01 USA Fender Precision and maybe alternate it with my CIJ '51 Precision re-issue. Since the Glaub arrived I have retired the other two from gigging and I recently sold the USA. Lakland's Korean build quality is excellent (I will admit that I had to fit a new switchcraft input jack socket after the original became intermittent a few months ago but that's a Switchcraft QC issue, not Lakland's as the thing worked perfectly for at least two years and the solder joints were class A+).

Oh, and the Lindy Fralin pick up is a monster.

A huge bump for this - if I didn't already own one I'd be biting a hand off to get it.

[quote name='MB1' post='48386' date='Aug 21 2007, 03:50 PM']MB1. :)
...Posh in Poole!
Patio doors?... why have you got carpet in the garden?.[/quote]

Funny! I wondered the same thing - lovely bass btw. I'd have it if I hadn't quenched the P-GAS this year already!

The quality question about USA v Korea came up at the SE Bass Bash, and as I have / have had 3 Skylines and a USA,
IMHO, the USA are the better basses, lighter & better finish. BUT, You would be hard pressed to tell them apart, both visually
or sound wise. Maybe at the next bash we could do a 'Blindfold' test. Buck for Buck, the Skyline wins hands down, even up against
some of the top end Fenders. (That should start a war !)

MB1. :)

"Everybody has to take a sh*t you know each and every one of us does it everyday and no one gets flamed for it.But you dont go, do it on someones doorstep ...........

Not without putting it in a brown paper bag and lighting it first!