Why become a member? ×

customs duty england france attention !!!

Masse

Hello,

I live in France, and I recently exchanged a 1972 Fender precision against an F AC5 bass in england. TheBass F AC5 was blocked for more than a month at the level of the French customs which is totally overwhelmed! Impossible to reach them the customs clearance service of the French post office which is called Wissou is completely unreachable. moreover for a declared value of 1000 pounds the customs fees amounted to .... 300 euros !!!! The bass arrived this morning after a month and 7 days of waiting ... inform yourself well before the transaction !

the French post and customs clearance service is lamentable

Best regards

• Sad 1

I suspect much of the delay and charges are down to the fact it was undervalued on the documentation. 

Customs officers have hobbies too and one could easily have questioned the valuation. 

If the total fee is 300 you probably got away with it as that would include French VAT. 

@Masse, tu as simplement payé la TVA française de 20% sur la valeur déclarée plus les frais de port, ainsi qu'une taxe d'importation et un forfait administratif.

Qu'il s'agisse d'un échange ou non, tout matériel importé, neuf ou d'occasion, depuis un pays  hors de la CEE est soumis à la TVA sur la valeur déclarée, une taxe d'importation et des frais administratifs.

Le Royaume-Uni étant en dehors de la CEE depuis l'application du Brexit, il est tout à fait normal de payer ces taxes.

Le délai est aussi totalement normal si tu utilises une société de transport qui ne possède pas ses propres services de dédouanement et la poste française n'en possède pas vraiment.

Si tu avais utilisé TNT, Fedex ou UPS, voire DPD qui est une filiale de la poste française, tu aurais pu recevoir ton colis en 24 heures (j'utilise TNT Express pour cette raison en dehors de la CEE).

Estime-toi heureux de ne pas avoir reçu d'amende, ou pire, d'avoir vu ton matériel saisi et détruit, pour fausse déclaration concernant la valeur réelle de l'instrument.

C'est un jeu très dangereux auquel tu viens de jouer...

For those who want, I can translate this in English. 😉

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@Masse, tu as simplement payé la TVA française de 20% sur la valeur déclarée plus les frais de port, ainsi qu'une taxe d'importation et un forfait administratif.

Qu'il s'agisse d'un échange ou non, tout matériel importé, neuf ou d'occasion, depuis un pays  hors de la CEE est soumis à la TVA sur la valeur déclarée, une taxe d'importation et des frais administratifs.

Le Royaume-Uni étant en dehors de la CEE depuis l'application du Brexit, il est tout à fait normal de payer ces taxes.

Le délai est aussi totalement normal si tu utilises une société de transport qui ne possède pas ses propres services de dédouanement et la poste française n'en possède pas vraiment.

Si tu avais utilisé TNT, Fedex ou UPS, voire DPD qui est une filiale de la poste française, tu aurais pu recevoir ton colis en 24 heures (j'utilise TNT Express pour cette raison en dehors de la CEE).

Estime-toi heureux de ne pas avoir reçu d'amende, ou pire, d'avoir vu ton matériel saisi et détruit, pour fausse déclaration concernant la valeur réelle de l'instrument.

No need. Just repeat it slowly and loudly in a cockney accent, like we do in France.

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

No need to translate or even post in French.   Masse types  decent English,  we all understood  him

31 minutes ago, fleabag said:

No need to translate or even post in French.   Masse types  decent English,  we all understood  him

As he mentioned earlier, with the help of a translator, hence my answer in French for crystal clear explanations. 😉 

• Like 1

Totally sympathize with @Masse 

I bought a couple of back issues of a British music magazine (total cost £12) in October and they were held up by customs for ages. Took over seven weeks to get to southern France. No customs charges but then my wife bought some pet supplies from a UK company (total cost £18) and delivery took a month and we had to pay €9 to receive the parcel.

Small fry compared to the OP’s situation of course, but still BS.

Funny to react like this, it's not bullsh*t.

U.K. is outside the EEC and you know it.

Why would you expect a faster customs treatment with no duties ?

They receive thousands of parcels each and every day from or to people trying to smuggle on the price, content and declared value, so THIS is what is slowing the process a lot !

Stop taking them for fools and it will be fine (no, I'm not affiliated to the customs at all, but I really hate this useless moaning)

If you want your parcel faster than fast, as I wrote, use TNT Express or the likes as they have their own customs process, you'll be amazed.

Or simply buy in the EEC if you live there or in the U.K. if you live there : problem solved and no useless moaning.

• Like 4

I have had delays importing from the UK to the E.U. by post, no doubt because of Brexit and what it intails. Teething problems getting their systems up to speed most likely and the waiting time is a pain. No such issues importing from the U.S. by post, as the process is well established. Post is my preferred option as it can be significantly cheaper than a courier. 

Declaring less than what the item's true value is risky. Incidently Northern Ireland has the best of both worlds as they are in the UK, together with being a member of the E.U.