Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 hour ago, DGBass said:

I'm curious as to why you arranged the amp to sit on its end with your BC110T? Is there a marked difference to the sound if the cab is laid on its side to accomodate the amp on top?🤔 Or was it just to avoid the dreaded bass overhang in the upright position? 😉

Don't laugh, but I walk onto stage carrying it by its handle, I put it down, plug in and then I flick it on. I see no reason to have it on the cabinet. If I can hear myself I'm not one for fiddling which probably works in my favour here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I probably ( definitely ) don't need another ABM but this one caught my eye recently.  Apart from the current 750 EVO 5, i've never seen a Blackface ABM500 head before. I do remember years ago seeing a Whiteface Special Edition version but not the darker variant. Its basically EV0 III internal gubbins from what I can see and has a normal ice blue rear end. S/N 3585. Had had a hard life when I got it. It's been fully restored and all working well and sounding just like umm...an ABM. I never thought i'd like the dark finish but its grown on me. Curious if any BC users have a Blackface or Whiteface special edition ABM, are still using it and can share any history of these editions?

IMG_2648.thumb.jpeg.c0b62ea08d946b2a409077c4ed682615.jpeg

Edited by DGBass
  • Like 7

I'm finally in the club proper! After my borrowed ABM-500-EVO went poof mid-gig I've managed to secure an ABM-600-EVO-IV to replace it. Not had a chance to do anything more than DI it through my Focusrite Scarlett and headphones yet but that makes me excited to play with it properly at band practice next weekend 😁

Used the compressor on mine this weekend.... I generally didn't like the Ashdown ABM onboard compressor for home practice but on gigs where we are supplying our own PA I need to have much more control of the dynamics. Last gig with our own PA my tendency to change from fingers to pick caused big volume spikes despite me rolling down the bass' onboard volume control. To combat this I did some effects changes and put a limiter at the start of my effects chain and now added the ABM compression always on at 9 o'clock. I got a rounder and softer sound than I usually do but the dynamics felt far, far smoother. The guitarist uses IEMs and it's the first time since going to in-ears that he's commented on my bass sound except to say "too quiet" or "too loud"; he said that the clarity across lows mids and highs was great and even the clank of the strings and pick attack was all nicely clear without any harshness, I'm very pleased with that. I EQ'd more low mid in and rolled down the bass rotary too. Overall I was pleased with the sound and will stick with this going forward. Next gig we will have in house soundman and PA so will have a chat... It's interesting what various sound persons have to say about your sound and setup, and the one I speak to most is a former bass player! 

I found the ABM compressor dropped the volume slightly apart from that it was acceptable although I use either the Keeley or LMB3 in front for a better result. 

Before using a compressor in front of my ABM600 I did have slight input level needle Red line anxiety 😂

• Like 1

I felt the same, and at home it does definitely take some of the oomph out of the sound. Live, though, I appreciated it on Friday. 

The interesting thing will be when playing a venue with an in-house PA. I had a good chat with a sound guy at one of the venues we play regularly and he's an ex bassist. This was before I got the limiter and started using the amp compressor. His view was that he puts a bit of compression on the signal at the PA end but he prefers me to be un-compressed so that the playing dynamics come through. I suppose that's ok if you've got someone attending the desk and they can preserve dynamics but manage volume so you're not overpowering the other instruments, but when we run our own PA it can be trial and error, song by song, when playing a new venue where we don't have settings saved. 

• Like 1

Got the rare opportunity to really push the ABM600 last night. Played a fairly large venue and on a stage with a lot of space. Pre shape engaged, which is unusual for me, 340hz boosted, valve drive at 11 o clock, gain at 12 o clock, master up at around 1-2 o clock. Man this thing is thunderous when you really push it! Signal chain, Sire V7 vintage>Darkglass vintage Microtubes>ABM>Barefaced Big Twin 2. 

• Like 3

Just out of shot to the side of the bass rig is a 15" 500w sub my drummer bought. He plays an electric kit so we had kick drum, toms and bass guitar all coming through the sub. The difference in sound overall for the band was phenomenal, we didn't have a bad sound before but this just helped really fill things out!

Played a very large converted barn last night, at the bar, some distance away in a straight line from the stage area, you could feel the bass.

IMG20230429185534.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Just out of shot to the side of the bass rig is a 15" 500w sub my drummer bought. He plays an electric kit so we had kick drum, toms and bass guitar all coming through the sub. The difference in sound overall for the band was phenomenal, we didn't have a bad sound before but this just helped really fill things out!

Played a very large converted barn last night, at the bar, some distance away in a straight line from the stage area, you could feel the bass.

IMG20230429185534.jpg

Nice looking rig 

Are they 115 Pro Neo cabs ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Another shout out to Ashdown, and in particular Dave Green.

I messaged regarding my ABM500 randomly cutting out on a couple of occasions. Spoke to him this morning. Send it to us, I'll strip it and fully service it, It'll just cost you a tenner for return postage..

This is a 20 year old amp I bought second hand. Amazing service...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DaleASmith said:

Another shout out to Ashdown, and in particular Dave Green.

I messaged regarding my ABM500 randomly cutting out on a couple of occasions. Spoke to him this morning. Send it to us, I'll strip it and fully service it, It'll just cost you a tenner for return postage..

This is a 20 year old amp I bought second hand. Amazing service...

Yeah, he told me he only works two days a week, and that he'd do the work he and I had discussed for free if he was in the workshop on his own on a weekend and he was bored.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A question for all of you ABM owners - how would you describe the cab sound? John Stockman is a guy I really like and seems to use them, and I've noticed an ABM at a good price nearby. Any insights appreciated!

edit - I'd be running an axe fx into it via a matrix poweramp

Ash

Edited by ashevans09

Depends on which cab … the ported ABM series are dark sounding or vintage sounding and without finesse but do their job very well. 

The sealed Neo cabs are less bass focused and tighter sounding 

They are decent sounding cabs and average in the efficiency ratings 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, i would like to buy a 210 Ashdown combo. I hesitate between an ABM Neo C210 combo and the new RM500 C210 EVO II combo. Price is the same (ABM is ised, RM is new). 

I had some cabs with neodynium speakers in the past but didn't like the sound, Pro Neo speakers are good?

Thanks 

10 hours ago, Shad said:

Hi guys, i would like to buy a 210 Ashdown combo. I hesitate between an ABM Neo C210 combo and the new RM500 C210 EVO II combo. Price is the same (ABM is ised, RM is new). 

I had some cabs with neodynium speakers in the past but didn't like the sound, Pro Neo speakers are good?

Thanks 

Personally I used the RM500 head and matching cabs before. Very, very good amp which can do a bit of everything. The ABM series IMO has much more authority to the sound. The cabs on particular are definitely a step up, I know because I had both my RM and ABM cabs at the same time for a short period. I'd say the non Neo ABM cabs are closest to the big, hefty old school sound but the Neo's definitely are not far off and a fraction of the size and weight. I use 2x 15s, they fit side by side in the boot of my car with room to spare (ok it's a Volvo estate...) and are a doddle to carry one handed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using this vintage EVO300 head at rehersals of late and its quite impressive for 20+ year old amp. It's all original and has its factory 300 watt mosfet output board and XTE3 transformer. I've owned a few 300 watt ABM's and they have all done the job. They may not have the raw grunt of the bigger 500/600 watt variants but if anything they sound more refined and the mosfet powered ones imho do sound a little warmer and smoother.  Not a huge difference in loudness between the 300's & 500's either when they are cooking at gig level outputs. I've always been curious whether Ashdown sell many of the 300 watt models these days as they rarely come up for sale used. Could that be because their owners like the 300's as much if not more than their bigger bretheren? or is 300 watts just an ideal size for pub gigs?

IMG_2331.thumb.jpeg.2458e55e5875325229512257a2410a31.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

hey guys considering coming back to ashdown.....well i use a ctm pre amp at the minute anyway but im looking at the abm 300 or should i just to the 600?

There's a nice looking ABM EVO II in the For Sale section at the moment and I can thoroughly recommend the EVO II. A nice Spyder 550 for sale too!