Why become a member? ×

THE TOOOOOOOOONE! Or overwound pickups.

Owen

I have been through WAY too many basses. I have changed pickups way too many times. The bass I keep coming back to has a set of Fralin J pickups in it. It has suffered in my personal bass shoot outs because they have a lower output than other ones so do not deliver that instant gratification hit of volume. But when I equalised volume the Fralins are just sweeter and more open (subjective terms) than other basses. Do "overwound" pickups sacrifice tone for volume? Please do not ask me to define tone. I am useless at it. It is just that the Fralins sound more natural and less forced. Is this due to windings etc? I am thinking of getting new pickups for another bass. They will have to be made due to an odd configuration. Is less actually more for pickup construction/overwinding?

• Like 1

Yeah overwinding will pronounce the midrange to an extent. Some of my favourite basses have massively underwound pickups mated to a great pre to produce a good signal, leaving a very clear and broad range. I’m sure there’s more to it but that’s my experience. 

• Like 5

On the Frailin site FAQ they say:

What output do I choose? Good question. For the most balanced tone between highs and lows, go to the Stock Output, which is a replica of the earliest P-Basses. If you’re looking for a thicker and darker tone, opt for the +5% Output. If you’re looking for a cleaner and more articulate sound, opt for the -5% output.

• Like 1

I have 10% overwound fralins on my mij 70s jazz.  Ash body, bound maple fingerboard and I keep a fairly fresh set of dadarrio roundwounds on it.  Unamplified it is a loud and bright sounding bass.

The overwound pickups have really tamed the top end and pushed the bottom end and low mids.  It is a really easy bass to EQ. 

It isn't for every instrument.  My fretless has standard wound fralins. 

On 12/11/2021 at 17:50, owen said:

Thanks, I am figuring that is how it is. But I have made so many stupid mistakes in the past that I have learnt to check things first by now.

The FAQ is pretty buried given it's such a key piece of information! I find it really valuable to think about shaping the tone as much as possible in the direction you want *before* it hits the amp/DI - I think it gives you a much better chance of getting the right sound.

On 12/11/2021 at 07:37, owen said:

Do "overwound" pickups sacrifice tone for volume? 

No not really, just a different tone, some will like it and some will not, one of my basses has a Duncan SPB-2 in it which is wound to 22k and it sounds great imo, due to being so heavily overwound it has a tonne of mids and fairly rolled off treble, its definitely a meaty sounding pickup

16 hours ago, owen said:

Yeah, my use of "tone" to refer to the sound I am enjoying was poorly thought out!

I knew just what you were talking about - I know tone has an association with specific frequency profiles, but I think 'open tone' is pretty understandable - that more detailed less hyped sound that seems closer to the er, natural sound of the bass. It's difficult! "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."