Why become a member? ×

NBD: Jack Casady

uk_lefty

So, I joined a new band a few weeks back. I've also been selling off a lot of gear that wasn't being used or likely to be used. I sold off a gorgeous jazz bass and an Aria SB. I didn't think I needed another bass but being a "jazz guy" who doesn't have a jazz I was tempted to buy a Sire. Then I joined the new band... The sound for that band is my Stingray, big meaty bass sound with some drive and not so subtle effects every now and then. But they also want to do acoustic sets. Acoustic bass guitars don't have the best reputation so I went for a semi that can be used for electric performance too. An Epiphone Jack Casady came up on eBay Sunday night and after breakfast on Monday I'd bought it. The seller could not have been better. The bass is in immaculate condition. I've binned the roundwounds it came with and stuck on some Fender tapewounds I had spare. 

The good:

It looks amazing. Even the back of the body is nicely figured wood. The neck is chunkier than expected, the fingerboard is gorgeous, I love the massive tuners on the headstock. The range of tones and playability is superb. First bass I've had in a long time that's making me want to explore it instead of just instantly feeling over familiar with it 

The not so good:

Finding a case is hard at the moment.

The D string put incredible tension on the neck when tuned up. Slightly better with my tapes on but I think a neck tweak may be required.

They didn't do the blue one in left handed.

IMG_20211105_103921.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I had one for a while but didn't gel with it. IIRC I managed to get a case from Steven Chowny.

I need to look into this further. I really want to get the bass out the house but it's pristine, there's no way I want to relic it in the boot of the car! 

Anderson's today went and tried to put a Jack Casady in a Gator case for me but it wasn't a goer. 

Epiphone are showing as delivering to UK shops in 3 months!!

The proper Epiphone hard case is very nice but bulky. 

I haven't tried it but my 4005 lives in a Gruv Gear Gigblade, and that's a big semi (stop sniggering). I'll try the Jack Casady in the Gigblade tomorrow. 

Both cases are pricey though. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

Nice, very nice. They really are lovely basses with a wide range of tones available. Good luck with and have fun with it.

I have to stop reading all these Casady bass topics, it's no good for GAS and makes me regret selling mine!

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Maude said:

The proper Epiphone hard case is very nice but bulky. 

I haven't tried it but my 4005 lives in a Gruv Gear Gigblade, and that's a big semi (stop sniggering). I'll try the Jack Casady in the Gigblade tomorrow. 

Both cases are pricey though. 

Well the 4005 is a rediculously big bass, but the JC is even wider. So it won't fit in a Gigblade after all. 

That width between the upper and lower bouts is the problem, very very wide. 

Amazing basses though so enjoy 🙂👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I pre ordered a case on Gear4music before Xmas and it got delivered on NYE, so it's now able to leave the house. I gigged the bass for the first half on Friday. We had some PA and feedback issues and I occasionally felt some feedback coming through but I had to have my amp up high. I wore a sweatband on my forearm which helped me avoid the edge of the body digging into my arm, I was wearing the bass high on the strap. Next up is to get it fully set up with some new flatwounds and lower the strap slightly. It is such a comfortable bass to play and so uncomplicated with its single pup and three way switch, but just so effective. A really fun bass to take out!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I pre ordered a case on Gear4music before Xmas and it got delivered on NYE, so it's now able to leave the house. I gigged the bass for the first half on Friday. We had some PA and feedback issues and I occasionally felt some feedback coming through but I had to have my amp up high. I wore a sweatband on my forearm which helped me avoid the edge of the body digging into my arm, I was wearing the bass high on the strap. Next up is to get it fully set up with some new flatwounds and lower the strap slightly. It is such a comfortable bass to play and so uncomplicated with its single pup and three way switch, but just so effective. A really fun bass to take out!

I do the wristband trick.  I look like a craddock but at least I'm a craddock without red marks on my forearm.

The feedback can be fun to play with if you mean to do it.  Otherwise, some extra diligence with string muting while playing is sometimes required if you can't avoid being close to your amp.

• Like 1