Why become a member? ×

Markbass Effects Return Pre or Post EQ

nottswarwick

Hi

In my FRFR project, for a rig that will do bass and guitar, a thought has occurred: I could use a Barefaced Big Baby2, and my Little Marcus 1000 for both duties, but only if one thing is clear:

So does anyone know if the effect return on this head is post preamp and all EQ - ie direct into the Power Amp.  If it goes straight to the Power Amp, it would work.

Manual is no help. I may email Markbass, but thought I would ask here first.

Chris

36 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I have the limited edition 'iron man' Marcus Miller 500W head.  Unfortunately, going into the effects return does not circumvent the EQ on this, so I doubt yours would either.

that's a shame to be fair - they should at least make it switchable. So, it is still for sale.

In the Combo Head there is a jumper inside the amp which routes the fx loop signal pre or post EQ. I wonder if this applies to other MarkBass amps. There is an article somewhere on the web, with pix, of how to do this. I have swapped back and forth many times. It is super easy to do. Personally I didn’t think it made much difference.

• Like 1

Well, I have just tried this:

tech21 guitar fly rig v2, into both the bass input and the effect loop return obv not at the same time.

Used the DI output into my studio desk and monitors, as I don’t have a cab at the moment, but the test remains valid using the DI output of the Marcus Head.

I find that the effect return is indeed post EQ but that is fine, sounds flat, when set as such.

However, there is clearly some sort of other pre amp shaping immediately after the instrument input on the head, as plugging in here does not sound good for guitar. So I guess this is the input gain stage?

Edited by nottswarwick

2 hours ago, songofthewind said:

In the Combo Head there is a jumper inside the amp which routes the fx loop signal pre or post EQ. I wonder if this applies to other MarkBass amps. There is an article somewhere on the web, with pix, of how to do this. I have swapped back and forth many times. It is super easy to do. Personally I didn’t think it made much difference.

I think from memory the jumper switched the effects loop from parallel to series, not pre- post EQ. I'm prepared to be corrected on that mind. Would certainly support why you wouldn't have noticed too much difference.

1 minute ago, Dood said:

I think from memory the jumper switched the effects loop from parallel to series, not pre- post EQ. I'm prepared to be corrected on that mind. Would certainly support why you wouldn't have noticed too much difference.

Correct. However there is a huge difference between using the instrument input vs the effect return.  The instrument input must have another preamp inside, before the main eq you can change, while the effects return is nice and clean.

7 hours ago, Dood said:

You’re quite right! Thanks for that, Dood.

• Thanks 1