Why become a member? ×

Somebody please explain to me...

niceguyhomer

:huh:

I'm cabless at the moment and with a gig approaching this weekend I thought I'd better do something PDQ. But first, let me go back in time to a few cabs ago, when I got GAS for a GK 212 NEO to go with my GK1001RBII head. I rang around loads of shops and got the same old story.."sorry none in stock, GK only ship 4 times a year into the UK and we always have back orders so we sell out before the shipment arrives". sh*te, sh*te and treble sh*te.

Anyway, I thought I'd have another go after my wanted ad on here didn't really throw up anything suitable so I ring around again this morning and get nowhere so in desperation, I ring Beyer Dynamic - the distributor asking if they could trace one for me through their records.

Then the distributor man comes out with a statement that floored me ..."we've got plenty of stock..in fact we can sell you one direct if you like, get it to you as quick as you like sir" :) What?

It isn't hard to confuse me at the best of times but will someone please explain to me the logic in this....shops can't get enough of them and are taking orders against future deliveries and all this time, there's perfectly good stock gathering dust in the distributor's warehouse?

It's no wonder shops are closing down. Why don't I just shut up and order one off Beyer? Well I would but Beyer want just under £600 for the cab when most shops sell for about £525. Trouble is, they never have any.

£585 at the Gallery so they were charging you retail. They only get trade price from shops so had they split the difference you would have got a cheap cab and they would have made a bit of extra money. Problems are retailers get the hump if distributers sell direct (but then they should stock them!). VAT complicates matters as well as they are probably not set up for retail. All the stuff I have got from Bernie has been ex review or used for trade shows.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='47864' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:05 PM']:huh:

I'm cabless at the moment and with a gig approaching this weekend I thought I'd better do something PDQ. But first, let me go back in time to a few cabs ago, when I got GAS for a GK 212 NEO to go with my GK1001RBII head. I rang around loads of shops and got the same old story.."sorry none in stock, GK only ship 4 times a year into the UK and we always have back orders so we sell out before the shipment arrives". sh*te, sh*te and treble sh*te.

Anyway, I thought I'd have another go after my wanted ad on here didn't really throw up anything suitable so I ring around again this morning and get nowhere so in desperation, I ring Beyer Dynamic - the distributor asking if they could trace one for me through their records.

Then the distributor man comes out with a statement that floored me ..."we've got plenty of stock..in fact we can sell you one direct if you like, get it to you as quick as you like sir" :) What?

It isn't hard to confuse me at the best of times but will someone please explain to me the logic in this....shops can't get enough of them and are taking orders against future deliveries and all this time, there's perfectly good stock gathering dust in the distributor's warehouse?

It's no wonder shops are closing down. Why don't I just shut up and order one off Beyer? Well I would but Beyer want just under £600 for the cab when most shops sell for about £525. Trouble is, they never have any.[/quote]

Homer - give Mike Walsh a call at the Bass Merchant. I went there a couple of weekends ago for a nose around, and also to try a GK MB150 combo that I've been gassing after for ages. Anyhow, Mike only had the MB150S in stock which was good enough for me to judge the sound etc, but my heart was set on the MB150E (cos of a few extra features that i wanted, aux input being one of them), so I ordered one thinking it'd take a few weeks to arrive. Mike called me today, and it has arrived - 9 days later, or 6 business days.

Mike was a top fella, and totally on top of his game, and sorted me out with a very competetive price. Give him a call, you never know, you might have one by the weekend :-)

edit: here's the new Bass Merchant web site [url="http://www.bassmerchant.co.uk"]Bass Merchant[/url]

cheers
G

Edited by Gwilym

[quote name='mikeh' post='47917' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:20 PM']Al if you're stuck for Saturdays gig come and pick up my Epi. But would need it for Sunday nights gig in Rainford.[/quote]

Cheers mate - I'll give you a shout if I get stuck. :)

[quote name='Gwilym' post='47928' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:29 PM']Homer - give Mike Walsh a call at the Bass Merchant.[/quote]

Mike was the first person I rang (last week), I've bought stuff off him before and will again but alas, he didn't have anything I wanted in....sigh.

Two options:

1. Ring the distributor back and say you'll buy it for £525 - as that's the price the shops are quoting.

2. Ring the shops and shame them into getting off their arses. Tell them you rang the distributor direct and that they told you they've got plenty of stock.

Just a possibility, but are the shops saying there are only four deliveries a year as a way of covering the fact that what's really happening is they have 90 day payment terms agreed with the distributor and as a result can't actually order any new stock from the distributor until they pay the invoice for their previous order?

[quote name='The Funk' post='48252' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:16 AM']Two options:

1. Ring the distributor back and say you'll buy it for £525 - as that's the price the shops are quoting.

2. Ring the shops and shame them into getting off their arses. Tell them you rang the distributor direct and that they told you they've got plenty of stock.[/quote]

I've done 2 - will try 1 tomorrow.

the distributor will usually not sell below full retail, because they will piss off their customers - the shops. they, of course, want to sell as close to retail as they can, and not incur any carrying costs, which cut into their profit.

it wouls appear to be a clever (or not so) ruse by this retailer to get you to pay in advance (perhaps only partially), and they get to use your money for awhile - at the same time keeping prices high because demand exceeds supply, which may not be true, but if they can convince their customer of that ...

I think you are mad for wanting a GK NiceGuyHomer....

Bar the little briefcase combo thing they do (Which sounded lovely and I would have no arguements buying) Ive played a quantity of what else they have and come to the conclusion that its utter toss.

But I have to agree here,you have done the right thing! The 'We cant get it' is often a ruse for 'We cant be bothered because its a hassle....' But saying that its often true.

(COUGH.....STATUS...Cough..)

[quote name='ARGH' post='48520' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:14 PM']Bar the little briefcase combo thing they do (Which sounded lovely and I would have no arguements buying) Ive played a quantity of what else they have and come to the conclusion that its utter toss.[/quote]
You're not here to win friends, are you matey? Many GK users on this forum would disagree with you but probably can't be bothered taking you on.

Homer you could maybe ask the same question of the distributor? Tell them whatever they tell you will be shared with other GK users on this forum.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='48539' date='Aug 21 2007, 07:38 PM']Homer you could maybe ask the same question of the distributor? Tell them whatever they tell you will be shared with other GK users on this forum.[/quote]

Thanks Steve - good idea :huh:

I'm sorry you feel that way ARGH - but I disagree as far as it's possible to disagree, GK is, IMHO unbeatable for the money but I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea. Anyway, I defend your right blah blah.. :)

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='48539' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:38 PM']You're not here to win friends, are you matey? Many GK users on this forum would disagree with you but probably can't be bothered taking you on.[/quote]

So we should only express the most commonly-held opinion then?

[quote name='ped' post='48619' date='Aug 21 2007, 10:48 PM']Hmm. Sort of I suppose. *skulks away*

Pretty similar amplifier section to the bigger amps though isn't it?[/quote]
I think its fairly different to my RB700. I tried one in Mansons in Exeter and wasn't impressed. It wasn't a pile of toss but it wasn't what I was looking for.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='48594' date='Aug 21 2007, 09:47 PM']Thanks Steve - good idea :huh:
I'm sorry you feel that way ARGH - but I disagree as far as it's possible to disagree, GK is, IMHO unbeatable for the money but I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea. Anyway, I defend your right blah blah.. :)[/quote]

Hey thanks Homer. Kudos to you,opinons are like navels,we all have them,and they all look different
(Still think you are mad,but on many levels)

:huh:

I love you...lets have tea