Why become a member? ×

Buying Fender mail order

Golchen

I've been wanting a fender jazz V for some time, and although one or two have shown up here, I'm kind of thinking about getting 'exactly' the model I want rather than something that's not quite there. I'm having trouble finding anywhere within reasonable distance that has anything to try, so I was thinking about getting one from somewhere like GAK or Thomman etc. but the only thing that worries me is the fact that Fender seem to have been so unreliable on quality over the years, is it a bad idea?

Edit: any opinions on deluxe vs standard? - worth the extra?

Edited by Golchen

[quote name='Golchen' post='452374' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:06 PM']I've been wanting a fender jazz V for some time, and although one or two have shown up here, I'm kind of thinking about getting 'exactly' the model I want rather than something that's not quite there. I'm having trouble finding anywhere within reasonable distance that has anything to try, so I was thinking about getting one from somewhere like GAK or Thomman etc. but the only thing that worries me is the fact that Fender seem to have been so unreliable on quality over the years, is it a bad idea?[/quote]

If you don't like it you can always send it back. Thomann (among aothers) give you 30 days to make your mind up, and send a courier at their expense if you decide to return the goods.

I assume you're talking about the US models?
The Standard has all five tuners in a row, Deluxe has a 4+1 arrangement.
The Deluxe I had was very light and well put together, and of course it has 22 frets, SCN pickups and the active circuit.
I think it boils down to whether you want to go active or passive really.
I would strongly advise you to try one out in a store as quality seems very variable. I was lucky enough to try 4 at the same time and the one I bought was head and shoulders above the rest for finish and feel. Sound was of course almost identical.

[quote name='XB26354' post='452595' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:29 PM']I assume you're talking about the US models?
The Standard has all five tuners in a row, Deluxe has a 4+1 arrangement.
The Deluxe I had was very light and well put together, and of course it has 22 frets, SCN pickups and the active circuit.
I think it boils down to whether you want to go active or passive really.
I would strongly advise you to try one out in a store as quality seems very variable. I was lucky enough to try 4 at the same time and the one I bought was head and shoulders above the rest for finish and feel. Sound was of course almost identical.[/quote]

I'd be interested to know where you found four!!! I haven't located a single one to try yet :)

This is what I'm looking for:

Thomann are usually very good - At least if it does turn out to be a dog or a Friday afternoon bass, you'll be able to return it easily enough. I bought one Fender from Thomann a while ago & yes, I got a good one, but I'm always wary with Fender. For me, try before you buy is a must.

As for the model choice, I'd go for the American Standard & get a Sadowsky outboard preamp if you feel you need more tone or output.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

This is the same for me at the moment. Ive got the cash for a new Jazz but im worried about ordering the one I want. I dont want a dodgy one :)

For £830+ its a risk!

TBH im starting to lose interest....I might spend the money on more Orange gear/Orange Guitar Amp.

Its a bit sh*t when you cant get perfect for that much. Esp with the new prices!

I got my 2008 P5 from Thomann, as i did with my last three basses.
As already been mentioned if you dont like it you can just send it back. They even pay for the return postage so its a win win situation.

They aren't the cheapest these days but you also get a 3 year warranty.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='452756' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:23 PM']Thomann are usually very good - At least if it does turn out to be a dog or a Friday afternoon bass, you'll be able to return it easily enough. I bought one Fender from Thomann a while ago & yes, I got a good one, but I'm always wary with Fender. For me, try before you buy is a must.

As for the model choice, I'd go for the American Standard & get a Sadowsky outboard preamp if you feel you need more tone or output.

Rich.[/quote]

................or for the same money you could buy a used sadowsky metro which will be miles better than anything fender could ever hope to put together!

:)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='452928' date='Apr 3 2009, 06:38 AM']................or for the same money you could buy a used sadowsky metro which will be miles better than anything fender could ever hope to put together!

:)[/quote]

wow, you must have tried a hell of a lot of Fender basses LOL.

Each to his own.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='453323' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:13 PM']Ive got about 5 companies emailing me with the same prices....£829...fresh new stock that would be ordered in.

Hmmm....[/quote]

With Thomann's its not a risk. Dont like it then send it back. UPS even come and collect it from you.

I had no issues with them when i had two Lakland DD's at home at one point. The first had a few dirty marks on it so i told them i didnt want it (it did seem used) and they sent me another one out. I had both at home for about a week and in the end sent the second one back as the first played so well. Refunded in full in about a week plus it was at the newer price so i made about £30.

When i was looking for a P5 none of the shops over here had any but said they could get them in but as its a special order i had to keep it. This really bugged me as they were advertising them on their websites as standard stock so how was it a special order.
I know about the distance selling law so i knew i could send it back if i didnt want it no matter what they said but i doubt it would have been as easy as with Thomann's.

Just my experience's.

It shouldnt be something we have to worry about with the price rise, but Ive had two 'duff' Jazzes so far. My USA Precision Deluxe which I sold was perfect, as is my USA Telecaster and Japanese Precision.

Both Jazzes had AWFUL finish to them, and the first one had sh*t output.....very weak.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='452763' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:31 PM']I got a branners Geddy Lee off a UK gadgey on the 'bay - well off the bay actually :) - and after minimal setting up it was fine.[/quote]

The MIJ basses are notoriously more consistent in terms of quality control though, I don't think I've played one yet that I didn't like the feel of!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='453644' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:11 PM']Or maybe just one Sadowsky :)[/quote]

Nope. He commented on Fenders build. I'm in no way putting down Sadowsky, just asking how he knows that every fender is of a poorer quality.

You would imagine the Sadowskys would be better (as they cost a lot more) but making a sweeping statement like that isn't really helpful IMHO.

Personally i find the 2008 Fenders are good ones and i cant actually see why anyone would pay almost double (or more) for something that shines a bit better in certain light and has a decent paint job in the control cavity ;-)

Yes, the 2008/09 models are very nice - But you still have to choose carefully. I luckily had a choice of two when I bought mine last year.(One was perfect & the other had some serious lacquer flaws & a huge weight!) Basically when you look at the Sadowskys, you're looking at the difference between high quality, small workshop, boutique basses compared to something mass produced & yes, there will be some nice Fenders, but there will always be some dogs when you mass produce something.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='453919' date='Apr 4 2009, 10:35 AM']Yes, the 2008/09 models are very nice - But you still have to choose carefully. I luckily had a choice of two when I bought mine last year.(One was perfect & the other had some serious lacquer flaws & a huge weight!) Basically when you look at the Sadowskys, you're looking at the difference between high quality, small workshop, boutique basses compared to something mass produced & yes, there will be some nice Fenders, but there will always be some dogs when you mass produce something.[/quote]

Agreed.

I even found Laklands quality varied. I had a good Duck Dunn and a bad one. I played 5 55-01's in the Bass centre and the one i ended up with felt nicer some how, although there was nothing wrong with any of them.

I must admit im quite biased against boutique basses. I really dont see the point in spending a lot more money on a bass that does the same job as a cheaper one just because its made a bit better. Ive not had any problems with basses ive brought in the past and my P5 is the most ive ever spent on a bass and i had now cheaper option at the time.
Saying that im not knocking anyone that does buy these things, just that its not for me.

Its come to the weekend when I expected to go ahead and order....but now I feel put off after having two awful USA Jazz basses. Im not lucky with Jazz's....ive always found a nice P, but the Jazz always seems to have really bad finish flaws.

I need to find a good shop...where they can order it in, let me test, and they can make sure its all a ok before I pay in full. Dont mind paying £40-50 for this service to be honest.

Ive no idea where good 'stockists' of Jazz Basses are in the UK. Electro had one in but it wasnt the right colour and it was rosewood.

Piss.