Why become a member? ×

Barefaced SuperTwin vs 2 x 210 cabs

Guest BassAdder27

Question .. would a BF SuperTwin blow my new Ashdown ABM 210 Pro Neo cabs x 2 away ?

Just curious if the BF is a fuller deeper sounding cab that would handle a 500w or larger amp and better suited to rock ?

Huge price ticket so interested to know if really that much better than say £350 each Ashdown cabs ? 

Your Ashdown's are rated at 300 watts each. BF rate the Super Twin at 1200 watts, so depending on the amp you use it could certainly go louder, fuller, bassier etc.

Is it "better" or worth the extra expense? Only you can decide that.

I made my decision 5 years ago, BF's are my cab of choice.

• Like 2

Having had both Ashdown & Barefaced cabs I`d say that BF will more than likely go louder (make that a definite), but that that is irrespective to me given that I prefer the sound of the Ashdowns, which are plenty loud enough for my needs.  

• Like 2

You can't always compare manufacturers' power ratings directly. Some are more generous with their figures than others.

The Ashdown is a sealed cab, which is a disadvantage in the "how loud will it go" stakes but often an advantage in the "lack of boom" stakes. 

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

Question .. would a BF SuperTwin blow my new Ashdown ABM 210 Pro Neo cabs x 2 away ?

Just curious if the BF is a fuller deeper sounding cab that would handle a 500w or larger amp and better suited to rock ?

Huge price ticket so interested to know if really that much better than say £350 each Ashdown cabs ? 

In my view if you have got 2 half decent 2x10 cabs (you've got grands worth of cabs there after all) and you cant get the volume and / or depth you want then the problem is probably not the speakers, and I say that as a BF user and fan.

Edited by bassman7755

1 minute ago, bassman7755 said:

In my view if you have got 2 half decent 2x10 cabs (you've got grands worth of cabs there after all) and you cant get the volume and / or depth you want then the problem is not the speakers, and I say that as a BF user and fan.

Thanks that makes sense .. the two Ashdown cabs are loud enough for what I need right now. Probably equivalent to running a 4x10 so two cabs should be ample really.

I don’t need higher volume so maybe it’s not a necessity to upgrade at all !

3 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Thanks that makes sense .. the two Ashdown cabs are loud enough for what I need right now. Probably equivalent to running a 4x10 so two cabs should be ample really.

I don’t need higher volume so maybe it’s not a necessity to upgrade at all !

It seems I always seem to end up asking people the same question - what problem are you trying to solve ? (other than satisfying your desire to buy a shiny new toy that is).

• Like 3

BTW I assumed you already had 2 ashdown cabs. If you only have one and the choice is between another ashdown and going to BF then thats a more nuanced choice. The general rule of thumb still applies though - if you like the basic sound of the cab you already have and just want more volume then just a second one ...

Yes I like the Ashdown cabs .. light and small sealed cabs 

Yep I have two of the new Pro Neo 210 cabs 

I do wonder if a larger cab with 12” drivers would have more thump and depth if that makes sense 

This is all for non PA support in my band playing rock medium size U.K. venues 

Edited by BassAdder27

19 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I do wonder if a larger cab with 12” drivers would have more thump and depth if that makes sense 

It might, but for any pub/club gig band situation I can imagine you are likely well inside the performance envelope of your current cabs is what I'm saying - you could almost certainly just EQ the difference so long you have ample headroom in the amp. Be interesting to know what amp you have actually.

Edited by bassman7755

18 minutes ago, bassman7755 said:

It might, but for any pub/club gig band situation I can imagine you are likely well inside the performance envelope of your current cabs is what I'm saying - you could almost certainly just EQ the difference so long you have ample headroom in the amp. Be interesting to know what amp you have actually.

Ashdown RM800 EVO II

Orange Little Bass Thing 

9 minutes ago, bassman7755 said:

Both look decent amps, I would get cranking the low end up and see what happens.

Yep I do that too ! 
To be fair the Ashdown cabs are great, not the best but certainly adequate for the job. 

When I have the funds I may be tempted as I’ve always fancied a 4ohm 212 cab that isn’t too heavy !

I’m running a Super Twin, a 210s and a 610s. Not at the same time obviously. But I am seriously thinking of moving the Super Twin on in favour of another 210s because I just love the sound of the 10” speakers.  So everyone’s different!

8 hours ago, Muppet said:

I’m running a Super Twin, a 210s and a 610s. Not at the same time obviously. But I am seriously thinking of moving the Super Twin on in favour of another 210s because I just love the sound of the 10” speakers.  So everyone’s different!

Yep, I’m sure I’d be in a absolute minority on here preferring ashdown 15s to barefaced 210s. Different strokes for different folks.

11 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Yep, I’m sure I’d be in a absolute minority on here preferring ashdown 15s to barefaced 210s. Different strokes for different folks.

Are they the newer Pro Neo cabs from Ashdown or the older Ported ABM series with standard speakers ?

Older, rear ported evo 2 cabs (with rounded steel handles & no tweeter). I only got them as a stop gap while I tried to figure out which cab to buy next, I didn’t expect to like them as much as I did, so that will be my rig for a good while now.

my only issue is the lack of tweeter. It’s fine when I’m using my stingray, but my p bass could benefit from some additional top end.

Im a little surprised Ashdown went sealed with the pro neos.

I know they are opening a pop up shop in Denmark street London 11-16 October. If you could get there you could see the difference between the rm, Abm & Abm pro neo ranges.

• Like 1

I live an hour away from Ashdown !!

The Neo cabs are small and don’t have the thump compared to the older cabs 

However they are half the weight 

I can carry both cabs at the same time ( one in each hand ) 

Mine have the tweeter and I too use a PBass with a pick ( !!! ) and for rock they seem ok, maybe lack the real low end thump perhaps