Why become a member? ×

Basses you regret flogging

Veils

A really nice aria sb elite 11 in a creamy white with gold hardware that i had since the early 80's..
Sold it to part finance a fender MIA precision deluxe that is still my mainstay bass..
Just wish i had the forsight to keep the aria until i had the cash for the fender, it was a really nice tool ..

[quote name='ped' post='48506' date='Aug 21 2007, 07:55 PM']Looks pretty cool Russ - and the Mesa 1516BE Cabinet hiding just out of shot![/quote]

Well, we're talking about basses we regret selling... that's an amp I regret selling (Bass 400+ head slightly out of shot there too). :)

I regret selling my old epiphone thunderbird, I loved the sound but it didnt fit musically with my band at the time and my MIM fender jazz in sunburst, black scratchplate and badass II bridge it was the best fender i have ever played and the first bass i had modded in anyway to make it more mine.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='48487' date='Aug 21 2007, 07:33 PM']i think that'll be the Wal MkIII fretless that I probably should have kept on to, here's a pic (courtesy of R5R5 who was the previous owner)

edit: and why did I sell it? Because I already had a fretless bass, I thought I had *TOO MANY BASSES* and should get rid of it !!! LOL[/quote]
Beautiful bass, Gwilym! IIRC, didn't you have that when I bought the Wal Pro 2e off you back in 2005?

Nik

And here's photos of the three basses I most regret not owning now:

70's BC Rich Eagle with Bill Lawrence bridge p/u

Tobias Classic 5, 1989

Wal Pro with leather scratchplate, No.23 of only 24 made..Being played by Leigh Gorman of BowWowWow who I sold it to.

[quote name='TheRev' post='48804' date='Aug 22 2007, 11:18 AM']Why was everyone selling their Wal basses???

What was so bad about them that they had to be sold? Some people would eat their own grandmothers to own a Wal.[/quote]

I think a lot of people (not everyone) sold them because they became 'unfashionable'. You know what it's like, one minute pointy headstock active beasts are in.... the next minute it's vintage Fenders..... and then it's active Fender copies....

Me, I bought mine just as they started to become 'cool' again and just as news of Pete Steven's problems began....

Not letting them go now!

Edited by cetera

Four years ago I sold all my bass gear when we had our first baby. My wife told me not to, but I was insistent, thinking rightly so, we would need the money.

Trace Elliot AH200 Series 6 with 1 x15" and 2 x10" cabs. Vinyl covered, pre Kaman era.
MIJ 3TS Precision with maple neck
MIJ black Precision maple neck
Status Graphite Artist Eclipse 4 string bass in natural finish.

Im absolutely kicking myself now............

Edited by neilb

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='48656' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:15 AM']Beautiful bass, Gwilym! IIRC, didn't you have that when I bought the Wal Pro 2e off you back in 2005?

Nik[/quote]

hi Nik
yes, I think I did have it then - did you have a spin on it? I can't quite remember.

love the Eagle and Tobias too! Not so sure about those leather scratchplate Wals - very "old-school" :huh:

Even though the Wal Pro II was a great sounding/playing bass, I've no regrets selling it, as I was concentrating on 5 stringers by then, and cos it couldn't have found a better home with Nik. The MachIII fretless was a case of last in, first out. A great bass that I realised I would use very often, other than to tinker with at home, and having £1500 invested in something and not using it a great deal wasn't ideal. It went to a good home too, in Californ-I-A. Dread to think how much it's market value is now :) Also I have a nice other fretless, so wasn't going to be fretless-less. The only reason I'm regretting it now is that I'm gassing for a nice 5 string frettless, and the Wal was *nice*.

cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='49122' date='Aug 22 2007, 07:05 PM']hi Nik
yes, I think I did have it then - did you have a spin on it? I can't quite remember.

love the Eagle and Tobias too! Not so sure about those leather scratchplate Wals - very "old-school" :huh:

Even though the Wal Pro II was a great sounding/playing bass, I've no regrets selling it, as I was concentrating on 5 stringers by then, and cos it couldn't have found a better home with Nik. The MachIII fretless was a case of last in, first out. A great bass that I realised I would use very often, other than to tinker with at home, and having £1500 invested in something and not using it a great deal wasn't ideal. It went to a good home too, in Californ-I-A. Dread to think how much it's market value is now :) Also I have a nice other fretless, so wasn't going to be fretless-less. The only reason I'm regretting it now is that I'm gassing for a nice 5 string frettless, and the Wal was *nice*.

cheers
G[/quote]
No, I didn't try it out Gwil, because I've never really been able to play fretless, so I didn't want to embarass my self and especially on such a fine bass as that one was! Mind you, I had a go on Luke Ward's Ibanez lined fretless at the Bash last weekend and really enjoyed it, though it took quite a bit of encouragement from MacDaddy to get me to do it...

That £1500 investment has probably gone up to something like £2500 I would have thought by now!!