Why become a member? ×

Odd Yamaha - Late 70's early 80's?

PaulThePlug

23 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Looks like the one in the original post has lost its single coil at the neck and gained a guitar (?) humbucker at the bridge.

I’d certainly hope the price isn’t as eye watering as the Reverb ones.

for a similar vibe, SBV500 from the 2000’s would do?

E53A03BE-2F1B-4B86-B263-41D8A9176F4C.jpeg.e594f062746bf8c4e3f1988946da7e0f.jpeg

That is, quite frankly, the coolest looking bass I've ever seen. :)

• Like 1

After careful consideration I have decided NOT to follow up on this.

Phil, the shop manager, states that the seller to him stated that he had got it from Paul Kossoff whose uncle lived next door.

Paul apparently bought it back from Japan during the 70s. Phil is clear that he can not prove any provenance and (I looked) there are no Google images of him with the bass. Remember Paul was NOT a bass player so I also checked any connection to Andy Fraser - couldn't find anything. 

I also sent a query to Free's management company - no response at the time of writing.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your e-mail. To confirm the customer who sold it to me said his uncle had received it as a gift from Paul Kossoff, who was a neighbour at his address in Hampstead. It does sound plausible, but I cannot prove it. 

Apparently the pickup was replaced by the customer's uncle years ago and we replaced the very badly broken scratchplate (half of it was missing) by making a new one to fit. 

The overall condition of the bass is very good and presentable. The machine heads, neck plate, bridge and bridge cover are original (the cover is often missing) and the paintwork is in very good order, with no major dings or knocks. The frets are in good condition too.

You would be hard pressed to find another one here in the UK and I think very lucky to find a scratch plate and pickup for it. You might be able to source them from Japan perhaps.

Personally, I think the bass is just fine as it is. The pickup is good and vintage looking, it gives a nice tone and the bass plays very well indeed.

I have had quite a lot of interest in this bass and I have received an alternative offer of £800 so far, but I think it's worth a bit more than that.

I play guitar usually, but I own three bass guitars, mostly used for recording - many guitarists I know play and own a bass too. 

I'd be interested to hear if it did feature in any recordings, performances etc, but if I had to hazard a guess, if it did belong to him, he probably just had it has a quirky curio. 

Kind regards,

Philip Tindley
Director

Twang Guitars Ltd

0208 676 0926

Interesting there's no mention of a Kossoff connection on the shop's website listing. I suppose this kind of guff is easy to reel off as a bullsh!t sales pitch when anyone who might be in a position to verify or otherwise is dead. Who - me, cynical? :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

There's now a blue SBV500 on Bass Direct for £599

That’s the one I had.

The Knobs are non original and under the E at the bridge, there’s a little mark from string pull through.

I nearly pressed “buy” last night, but I know the body shape wouldn’t work for me.

And I’m in pursuit of another reverse P/J BB which I used to own 😂

• Like 2