Why become a member? Ɨ

Hello from Scotland!

mudsprout

Hi everyone, nice to meet you. Been lurking here for a while so thought I'd say hiĀ šŸ‘‹

I've been playing on and off for 18 years (gosh that makes me feel old), not got much to show for it, just play by myself normally through headphones after the kid's gone to bed...but just love playing bass! Got much more into it lately, picked up a theory book and everything.

I play a Schecter Omen Extreme, first bass I bought with my own money. Love it to bits and will probably never part with it, but am really intrigued by med scales. Need to think of an excuse to own 2 basses, maybe you guys can help šŸ˜†

PXL_20210430_191512846.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome Mudsprout.

1 minute ago, mudsprout said:

Need to think of an excuse to own 2 basses

I'll be honest with you.Ā  I have never heard anyone here ever say that.

Okay.Ā  You'll need a four, probably a P.Ā  Then you will need a J to complement it.Ā  After that you might go in the direction of a fretless for each version.Ā  Don't despair however.Ā  You can go and do the whole thing again but this time with five stringers, then sixes, then...

You'll get the hang of it, don't worry.

Seriously though;Ā  Promise yourself an upgrade as a reward for when you achieve a goal you have set for yourself.Ā  Then you can say you have earned it.

• Like 2

:crigon_04:

An excuse to buy more gear? Youā€™ve come to the right place (do I hear a distant mwah, ha, ha?). Medium and short scales are very de rigeur right now. Check out the short scale appreciation thread and the 32ā€ thread for some inspiration.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Seriously though;Ā  Promise yourself an upgrade as a reward for when you achieve a goal you have set for yourself.Ā  Then you can say you have earned it.

Good advice!Ā The problem is justifying the space any extra gear would take up given it's just a hobby. The guitars live in the bedroom (bass, acoustic guitar and my SO's electric which he never plays). I think that's the answer there actually, trade the guitar for a short scale... No one would ever notice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

An excuse to buy more gear? Youā€™ve come to the right place (do I hear a distant mwah, ha, ha?). Medium and short scales are very de rigeur right now. Check out the short scale appreciation thread and the 32ā€ thread for some inspiration.

Yes it's crazy the amount of shorties that keep popping up. Actually tried a Mustang PJ a while back and didn't like it - so in my head 32 is the magic number. Will totally go sift through that thread, cheers :)