Why become a member? ×

Acinonyx Nordstrand CAT Bass pup selection

warwickhunt

I've searched the Nordstrand site and TB (big thread on this bass there) but can't find my answer, so thought I'd see if anyone can help on BC!  

This question is specifically about the depression of the pup selection buttons.

As I understand it the single button depression gets you - both / neck / bridge / off.  If I follow this correctly, pressing all 4 together gets you both pups in 'series' (as opposed to parallel using button #1).  However, what does pressing buttons 1/2/3 but NOT 4 get you?  There is defo a tonal difference between the 3 options; A) just button #1. B) button 1+2+3. C) button 1+2+3+4.  Though I don't know what the answer is I do know which one I like.  ;)  

Interested to hear thoughts from owners or those who've looked at this and spotted the answer.  :)   

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, nordygrrl said:

As far as I know there is no intentional difference.  Adrian tried it out and it seems to sound identical to the neck only setting.  When Mo gets back I will ask him what the circuit is doing.

Thanks for the response.  :)  

There is a (very) audible difference between the settings/selections.  It's just interesting to know what is happening under the hood (in American parlance).  ;)  

Automotive reference... very USA.  We'll see what Mo has to say about it.

2 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Thanks for the response.  :)  

There is a (very) audible difference between the settings/selections.  It's just interesting to know what is happening under the hood (in American parlance).  ;)  

22 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Yes, got one off BC.  

Not a direct comparison but if Rickenbacker and Musicman collaborated they may have made the Acinonyx neck... what's not to like?  ;)   

You posted this 22 hours ago. 
The question is has @owen had a response yet to his request for a 5 string version? :D 

There were certain intentions made when we did not initially produce a 5-string option of this bass.  While we absolutely knew there would be a demand for a 5 string, it really didn't fit the retro vibe/aesthetic, tone specs, etc.  It's a 4 string for a reason, the right tool for what's intended.  As musicians and artists, I'm sure you understand. That being said we NEVER say Never here at Nordstrand. Stranger things have happened.  I don't see it happening in the near future, as there are lots of ideas for new goodies lined up over here at the shop. Just. You. Wait.

• Like 4