Why become a member? ×

what guitar ???? look cool or sound good???

grimbeaver

Big gig tonight for me and quite close to home for once, lots of people going that I know so dom I use.

Warwick $$ sounds good, get better tone, dont look as good

Gibson Thunderbird, hard to get great mids and upper tone to shine through, but looks cool as f***.

decisions decisions

what do you reckon chaps a bit better in tone (probably only me would notice anyway) or looking good?

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='448098' date='Mar 28 2009, 02:32 PM']Big gig tonight for me and quite close to home for once, lots of people going that I know so dom I use.

Warwick $$ sounds good, get better tone, dont look as good

Gibson Thunderbird, hard to get great mids and upper tone to shine through, but looks cool as f***.

decisions decisions

what do you reckon chaps a bit better in tone (probably only me would notice anyway) or looking good?[/quote]

Stop farting around and worry about what you're going to wear!

Take the $$

Set them up right & the proper Gibson T-Bird can be a storming bass - Lovely sound/feel/playability. But the Corvette $$ is such a storming bass for the money! The Warwick is so adaptable, the neck is so fast & the sound is biblical. I've had two & I'm sure they won't be the last, either.

$$ all the way!

[quote name='Rowbee' post='448623' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:53 AM']+1 - Isn't the sound you produce infinitely more important?[/quote]

ha ha of course not!
Any bass player that thinks anyone other then them and maybe the one other bass player in the audience cares a hoot about their sound is deluded.

[quote name='OldGit' post='448666' date='Mar 29 2009, 01:40 PM']ha ha of course not!
Any bass player that thinks anyone other then them and maybe the one other bass player in the audience cares a hoot about their sound is deluded.[/quote]

Even if it's down to how you cut through the mix better with one than the other or you think the sound of the instrument sounds better with the set of songs you'll be playing? I understand why say an originals band might feel that having the right haircut, wearing the right clothes and holding the right looking instrument is just as, if not more important than the sound produced, but as a musician who isn't interested in "making it" I find that viewpoint a little skewed.

I know that the bands I play in take an interest in what gear each other is using for the sounds we're trying to achieve.

Just an opinion. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='448666' date='Mar 29 2009, 01:40 PM']ha ha of course not!
Any bass player that thinks anyone other then them and maybe the one other bass player in the audience cares a hoot about their sound is deluded.[/quote]

exactly.

i mean, really, which of these seems more likely:

1) cute and attractive member of audience comes up to you after gig, says "wow, i really like your bass. it just has such an incredible midrange presence, combined with a fantastic warmth and depth that really just stands out in the mix -- and i particularly like the way your amp handled the transients of your playing."

--or--

2) cute and attractive member of audience comes up to you after gig, says "wow, i really like your bass. it's pretty. can i touch it?"

not that 1) couldn't happen, of course....

[quote name='escholl' post='448689' date='Mar 29 2009, 02:24 PM']exactly.

i mean, really, which of these seems more likely:

1) cute and attractive member of audience comes up to you after gig, says "wow, i really like your bass. it just has such an incredible midrange presence, combined with a fantastic warmth and depth that really just stands out in the mix -- and i particularly like the way your amp handled the transients of your playing."

--or--

2) cute and attractive member of audience comes up to you after gig, says "wow, i really like your bass. it's pretty. can i touch it?"

not that 1) couldn't happen, of course....[/quote]

Cute and attractive members of the audience always want to touch my instrument after the gig :)