Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings. Confusion.

NancyJohnson

To my dismay, it transpires that Elixir do not make extra long 5-string sets, so one has to resort to ordering a four string set and a single for the Low-B.  I ordered both in nickel plated steel, the four string set (SKU 14087) arrived about a month ago, the the low-B (SKU 15433) arrived earlier today.

Here's a photo of the happy family:

20210528_155348.jpg

Now then, look at the bottom right of each pack; both are nickels, the 45-105s are 'warm and round', the 130 is 'bright and smooth'.

Now look at the back of the 45-105s:

20210528_155407.jpg

They're the same construction, so they shouldn't be described as one or another that applies to different base metals.

I'm sure they'll be fine, but for the love of puppies, why don't companies get their poop together and make sure their blurb is aligned?  

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I really like Elixir strings, it bugs me that they don't do 6 string bass sets! They're a big enough company, so why not cater to everyone? Boo Elixir!!!

You buy the C string separately like you do the B in a five string set

14 minutes ago, ped said:

You buy the C string separately like you do the B in a five string set

Sure, but that's massively inconvenient, why don't they just out the C and B in a box and call it a 6 string set like everyone else? 

12 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Sure, but that's massively inconvenient, why don't they just out the C and B in a box and call it a 6 string set like everyone else? 

Guessing not enough sales to justify that. Seems fair enough to me. I buy a 4 string set + high C for my wingbass. 

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

I really like Elixir strings, it bugs me that they don't do 6 string bass sets! They're a big enough company, so why not cater to everyone? Boo Elixir!!!

I love the strings, but the five string issue really irritated me.  £60 or thereabouts by this method (and having to go extra long too).

It's a pity Elixir aren't on here.

• Like 1

I did email them a while ago and got a very frosty and totally unhelpful response. There are plenty of other strings out there so I'm not going to waste my time with a company that have poor customer service and that only cater to 'standard' players. If they don't want to run a better business and cater for others outside of the ultra 'norm' then I shan't be expending any effort to give them my money. I stand by my 'Boo Elixir' comment!

39 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I did email them a while ago and got a very frosty and totally unhelpful response. There are plenty of other strings out there so I'm not going to waste my time with a company that have poor customer service and that only cater to 'standard' players. If they don't want to run a better business and cater for others outside of the ultra 'norm' then I shan't be expending any effort to give them my money. I stand by my 'Boo Elixir' comment!

If you want to try another brand of coated string, I bought some Markbass strings a few months ago (there was a business trialing them), just got a four string set and they're wonderful.

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

That would put me off a company. I mean, really? 

I deal with D'Addario I use 'em on everything (they make 'em for everything - Chapman Stick.)

I know. Coated strings. They are pretty spiffy. 

But return to quote.

9 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Coated strings. They are pretty spiffy. 

The cost does really hurt BUT they stay bright for yonks. 

Back in my busy times, I was using Dunlop/D'Addario; cheapish and pretty cheery, but these sets would go off very quickly, on my preferred bass it wasn't uncommon to to change strings twice a month. 

Granted I'm not doing as much now, but one of my Lulls has had the same Elixirs on it for nearly two years and they still sound bright; better (*subjective) than a two week old set of D'Addarios. 

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

The cost does really hurt BUT they stay bright for yonks. 

Back in my busy times, I was using Dunlop/D'Addario; cheapish and pretty cheery, but these sets would go off very quickly, on my preferred bass it wasn't uncommon to to change strings twice a month. 

Granted I'm not doing as much now, but one of my Lulls has had the same Elixirs on it for nearly two years and they still sound bright; better (*subjective) than a two week old set of D'Addarios. 

I was the same. I used D'Addario for years but the amount of money I was spending on strings was insane when I had two bands using two completely different tunings. 

I have switched to Elixir now and I have had the same strings on my Vigier for over 18 months, when before I was changing strings every 6 weeks. So while one Elixir five string set was expensive, it is much cheaper than a £25 set of strings every couple of months!

I might try the D'Addario coated strings next.

To the OP, yes, the packaging on the Elixir sets are a bit inconsistent and not the best. 

I always used Elixir stainless for years but found them to not last. I have to use stainless because of an allergy to nickel so I am forced to look elsewhere. I now like Rotosound stainless. They last slightly longer than Elixirs.

59 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I might try the D'Addario coated strings next.

Don't. I tried them before and found them utterly useless. A very expensive lesson learned as I ended up buying a replacement Elixir set a couple of weeks later. Elixir own the patent for coating the string as a wound whole, the coating is applied to the finished string which is what stops your biocrud getting into the winds of the string. The crud in the winds is what makes strings sound lifeless. Every other manufacturer, as far as I am aware, coats the outer wrap before it is wound onto the string which is, if not entirely useless, let's say usefully limited. It doesn't stop your finger gick getting into the string like the Elixirs do. 

Edited by Doctor J
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Don't. I tried them before and found them utterly useless. A very expensive lesson learned as I ended up buying a replacement Elixir set a couple of weeks later. Elixir own the patent for coating the string as a wound whole, the coating is applied to the finished string which is what stops your biocrud getting into the winds of the string. The crud in the winds is what makes strings sound lifeless. Every other manufacturer, as far as I am aware, coats the outer wrap before it is wound onto the string which is, if not entirely useless, let's say usefully limited. It doesn't stop your finger gick getting into the string like the Elixirs do. 

Thanks for the insight. That will probably save me some cash!

• Like 1