Why become a member? ×

'Fox on the run' synth with a Boss Bass synth SYB5?

Sarah5string

I'm a bit of a synth newbie, but our covers band are doing 'Fox on the run' by sweet. Is there any way of getting something reasonably like that initial synth intro using a Boss SYB5? I also have an OC3 octave and EHX bass clone. Typically I don't have an expression pedal but I do have a volume and wah.

any ideas?

• Like 1

It seems that you have asked the one question about gear that no-one on BassCat has a strong opinion!

:o

Shocked!

I never thought I'd live to see the day!

:D

I hope that someone has an answer / advice for you Sarah!

👍

• Haha 1

I don't think you'll get that synth intro using a pedal as it sounds like they're modifying stuff like LFO rates, pitch and resonance as the note's being played. You might be able to get one of the software synths in Garageband or similar to do the job but I'd be surprised if a pedal allowed that much on-the-fly manipulation, sorry.

Having said that, there's a few synth pedal threads in the Gear section and I believe @Al Krow is a regular contributor so he may have a better idea than I have - or at least know of someone 😀

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I don't think you'll get that synth intro using a pedal as it sounds like they're modifying stuff like LFO rates, pitch and resonance as the note's being played. You might be able to get one of the software synths in Garageband or similar to do the job but I'd be surprised if a pedal allowed that much on-the-fly manipulation, sorry.

Having said that, there's a few synth pedal threads in the Gear section and I believe @Al Krow is a regular contributor so he may have a better idea than I have - or at least know of someone 😀

You're too kind Mr Way-Slimmer-than-Me 😂 And Sarah is defo one of my fav BC'ers simply for having started the best bass thread ever (and for being a Midlander, of course), so...

The real expert (and a long long way ahead of me on this stuff!) is @Quatschmacher

FWIW - I've had a SYB-5 and it was very glitchy. In fact it was my most disappointing purchase of that year! The replacement Boss SY-1 is streets ahead of it in tracking and other features. Not sure it can do what the OP is after though. In fact the answer might be to avoid a bass pedal entirely and, for the same price, get this: 

image.png.a79602a79ce4c7ff7c377ac5e01ae96e.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/05/2021 at 15:02, Sarah5string said:

I'm a bit of a synth newbie, but our covers band are doing 'Fox on the run' by sweet. Is there any way of getting something reasonably like that initial synth intro using a Boss SYB5? I also have an OC3 octave and EHX bass clone. Typically I don't have an expression pedal but I do have a volume and wah.

any ideas?

Sounds like standard Minimoog territory. Check out a Future Impact as it ought to be able to cop this with a fair amount of ease. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sonic_Groove said:

The Sweet record is a full on Synth so pretty difficult to emulate. But You could try something adventurous using Your wah, bit of chorus & WHY to cop the feel. I use to do The Cure's A Forest intro like that on Bass.

That’s a good thought. If you can get a decent “base” sound with a synth pedal then phaser and wah would give you a filter sweep and add some motion to it.

It won’t be exact but you might get close enough for a pub gig without having to spend loads 

• Like 1