Why become a member? ×

Warwick Gnome Arrived Today

Obrienp

Spent some time tonight playing through a mate's Gnome head with a Sire V7 2nd gen and a little Ashdwn Mi10. Sounded great and could barely tickle the volume knob. It gave a very good representation of the Sire tone through IEMs that I'm used to only through a conventional amp, moreso than my TC BH250 which is pretty impressive. Seems like it nails the clean + loud thing in a very inexpensive and tiny package.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

You’ve probably all seen but Warwick released a 600 watt version of the iPro Gnome. Along with all that extra power, it has Low and High-Mid controls, an aux in mini-jack socket and twin speakon out sockets. From my perspective, they have sorted all that was missing from the original iPro (that I have).

I wouldn’t need the extra power, because the original iPro is plenty loud enough but the additional EQ and speakon sockets would definitely swing it for me, if I were looking to buy now. The price of the 600 watt unit is still pretty keen at around £350 (depending where you shop) but it’s £150 more than the original iPro and it is much bigger.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 22:11, Obrienp said:

...you should definitely have the Gnome on your short list.

I see what you did there...

On a more serious note, as far as I gathered the Gnome does have a build in compressor that will kick in when input gain is cranked, though supposedly a lot less heavy handed than the ELF's build in compressor.

I really don't like what a compressor does to my tone and especially not my dynamics, so my question is:

Does the TC Electronic BAM200 also have a build in compressor that will kick in when input gain is cranked?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I see what you did there...

On a more serious note, as far as I gathered the Gnome does have build in compressor that will kick in when input gain is cranked, though supposedly a lot less heavy handed than the ELF's build in compressor.

I really don't like what a compressor does to my tone and especially my dynamics, so my question is: does the TC Electronic BAM200 also have a build in compressor that will kick in when input gain is cranked?

I would like to be able to say that was a deliberate pun 😀.

Yes, the Gnome starts to compress/clip if the input gain is too high. This is indicated by the clip light going red. I’ve never pushed it that much, so it hasn’t been a problem. In fact I rarely have the Gain beyond about 10 o’clock but all my basses have quite powerful pickups, or are active. The Gnome has loads of gain as it is and paired with my BF Two10 my iPro is very loud, so the Master rarely gets to 12 o’clock. I have no idea what it sounds like flat out/in the clipping zone but I would worry about the damage you are doing to your hearing, if your stage volume is that loud. Perhaps you are playing stadiums?

I haven’t got any experience of the BAM 200 but I wouldn’t be surprised if it clips/compresses.. I think it is fairly common in these small class D amps. Someone on here will know.

• Like 2

The BAM 200 can compress if you push it at his limit, let’s say gain at 3 o’clock.
To avoid that, I put the master full open, and adjust my sound with the gain, not to push it too much.
Now think that the BAM is 200W. The Gnome is 280 w, so more headroom, more margin to avoid putting it at his limit. But the BAM is lighter.
A 4 ohm cab is recommended.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, regarding build in compressor. 

But I did some research, and someone did a spectrum analysis of the ELF, GNOME and BAM200, turns out bot the ELF and Gnome got some rather serious HPF'ering going on, whereas the BAM200 got flat bass response.

And as I already utilizes a HPF I personally would prefer that the amp processed my low end unchanged.

So think I got my answer there, as to which of those 3 micro amps I should get.

On the other hand the BAM200 seems to have some subtle LPF'ering going on, whereas the other two got a rising high frequency response.

They all got a slight mid scoop around 400Hz, but as they all have their Mid control centered there that can pretty much be countered by turning the Mid control up a bit.

I wish I understood what those charts are telling us! What I got from all of this, is that the Gnome has a mid scoop, plus bass and treble are boosted a bit?

I think the measurements were taken from a 200 watt Gnome rather than the iPro. Having owned both, the iPro seems to have a slightly different baked in tone but this is subjective, rather than scientific. Also I am running mine through a BF Two10 that is designed to be coloured, so possibly not the best cabinet to reflect the amps character accurately. For what it is worth, I l think it is a great combination but that is highly subjective and might not be your opinion at all.

18 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I wish I understood what those charts are telling us! What I got from all of this, is that the Gnome has a mid scoop, plus bass and treble are boosted a bit?

I think the measurements were taken from a 200 watt Gnome rather than the iPro. Having owned both, the iPro seems to have a slightly different baked in tone but this is subjective, rather than scientific. Also I am running mine through a BF Two10 that is designed to be coloured, so possibly not the best cabinet to reflect the amps character accurately. For what it is worth, I l think it is a great combination but that is highly subjective and might not be your opinion at all.

No, bass is cut, otherwise you are right.

And of course it is subjective, but those graphs, if you know how to read them, can tell you something about which will suit your subjective taste/setup best.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

what those charts are telling us

They show the relative strength of signal output across the frequency range.

The scale along the bottom is logarithmic as to match the musical scale in pure numbers and fit on a page and we can read it. 10hz 100hz 1000hz 10000hz becomes 10¹ 10² 10³ 10⁴ becomes '1 2 3 4' along the axis.

The vertical axis expresses relative loudness as we hear in dB, also a logarithmic scale.

A perfectly flat amp would be a straight line across all the way down to 1hz.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

None of them is without an inbuilt HPF or their lines would go more or less flat back to 10hz, 10¹ on the charts for the mathematically challenged.

As far as the BAM200, unlike the ELF and Gnome, not before on the lower side of 30Hz, at very least:

image.png.c05199de26d2694c7a5f5af14c5bff

And everything bellow that (30Hz) is pretty much irrelevant in terms of reproducing the notes of a bass guitar. 

The graph for the BAM200 is in a reply further down that thread I linked to, all the graphs in the first couple of replies are for the ELF and Gnome (as it actually does say).

This reply: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I have the same setup and its definitely coloured compared to when I use my MarkBass Little Mark IV but its a nice sounding coloured and in some way, has more personality.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As far as the BAM200, unlike the ELF and Gnome, not before on the lower side of 30Hz, at very least:

image.png.c05199de26d2694c7a5f5af14c5bff

And everything bellow that (30Hz) is pretty much irrelevant in terms of reproducing the notes of a bass guitar. 

The graph for the BAM200 is in a reply further down that thread I linked to, all the graphs in the first couple of replies are for the ELF and Gnome (as it actually does say).

This reply: 

That BAM plot is dubious. Having no tailing off below 40hz calls into question if there is any accuracy to it. Phil says that himself.

You can bet your lunch there is a filter somewhere down there or it would happily pump infrasound.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Obrienp said:

You do understand the charts. That’s all a reasonable description of the Gnome we measured. I’d just add in that there is a reasonably useful bit of high pass filtering to whick removes the unwanted lows. The treble is boosted a lot. They are all sensible choices. You are probably going to use the Gnome with a modest speaker so HPF will protect speakers and let you crank the amp a little harder. The bass peak warms up the sound a little boosting the top gives quite a nice hi fi feel to the sound. In practice it sounds nice and airy with bass. A really clean sound. Yes it was the 200W gnome.

• Like 1