Why become a member? ×

OMG the Sub-Harmonic thingy actually works! - Ashdown

Clockworkwar

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='445978' date='Mar 26 2009, 01:45 PM']I have somehow managed to get a really nice sound from the sub-harmonic button on my MAG 250 head into my 15" cab. It is really melodic, it is amazing! It even seems to be working on chords to which is nice.

Has anyone else actually managed to get this function to work properly?[/quote]

Yes, the entire time I owned my Mag rig and the ABM rig which preceded it. :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='446024' date='Mar 26 2009, 02:28 PM']I thought it was "mud mode". Never could get it to work in a band situation... but some guys like that kinda splodgy sound.[/quote]

enough of your comments about ashdowns in general...what do you think of the sub-harmonic thinger ?

:)

[quote name='escholl' post='446120' date='Mar 26 2009, 03:54 PM']i've never had a problem getting it to work and sound good on the few ashdowns that i've tried. ok, not everyone needs an octave effect, but it's one control, how can you get it wrong? O_o[/quote]

It always works, just alot of the time, you get a horrid sound or it doesn't come across very well.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='446133' date='Mar 26 2009, 04:02 PM']It always works, just alot of the time, you get a horrid sound or it doesn't come across very well.[/quote]

That's what I mean, I've never gotten a horrid, unusable sound -- it's always sounded nice. I can't see where people are going wrong?

Now, the behringer imitation, on the other hand...

[quote name='escholl' post='447041' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:38 AM']That's what I mean, I've never gotten a horrid, unusable sound -- it's always sounded nice. I can't see where people are going wrong?[/quote]

Woollier than a Christmas jumper from my limited experience.

I'm sure people who own them can tweak the controls to get something usable.

[quote name='The Funk' post='447195' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:20 PM']Woollier than a Christmas jumper from my limited experience.

I'm sure people who own them can tweak the controls to get something usable.[/quote]

See, this is what i don't understand --- not for everyone, sure, not everyone needs an octave effect.

But it's there's one control! And the original signal is unaffected - just the octave beneath is added. :)

My guess is, people overdo it....

And for the record, I've never owned one. Just tried them.

i only have it on slightly if at all.i can never hear much difference anyway.our guitard thinks it sounds boomy and told me to turn it off the other night,when i told him it was'nt even on i think he blamed the acoustics of the room or something!so my conclusion is only non bass players think it makes a difference and some bass players know it makes a difference,and the others could'nt give a t##s! :)

[quote name='escholl' post='447214' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:39 PM']See, this is what i don't understand --- not for everyone, sure, not everyone needs an octave effect.

But it's there's one control! And the original signal is unaffected - just the octave beneath is added. :)

My guess is, people overdo it....[/quote]

plus the one on that.

even when using a pedal, less is deffo more - so you could have a point there.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='447712' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:31 PM']I haven't used an Ashdown amp in ages but doesn't the analog octaver stop tracking at about open A?

Alex[/quote]

About where the harmonics become stronger than the fundamental? Unless you have a 36" scale?

I found octavers tracked better with my neck pickup, the one right against the neck.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='447775' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:12 PM']About where the harmonics become stronger than the fundamental? Unless you have a 36" scale?

I found octavers tracked better with my neck pickup, the one right against the neck.[/quote]

That's very interesting theory! I was going to comment on how much better my past octavers (EBS Octabass and Akai Deep Impact) tracked the neck pickup when plucking up over the neck compared to bridge pickup or more bridgewards plucking, which I always thought was due to them having a strong fundamental to lock onto. So I wonder if the lower frequency tracking limit is actually just where the fundamental ceases to be sufficiently present as you suggest?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='447781' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:22 PM']That's very interesting theory! I was going to comment on how much better my past octavers (EBS Octabass and Akai Deep Impact) tracked the neck pickup when plucking up over the neck compared to bridge pickup or more bridgewards plucking, which I always thought was due to them having a strong fundamental to lock onto. So I wonder if the lower frequency tracking limit is actually just where the fundamental ceases to be sufficiently present as you suggest?

Alex[/quote]

Dammit Claber, you are supposed to know all this. I'm thinking of using seperate outputs again from my pickups and getting my octaver back on, there was a POG laying about here and that seemed to track down as far as my amp would give me a clue it was happening when using my neck pickup. I suspect rolling off the tone would have helped also, but I don't have a tone knob.