Why become a member? ×

Short scale flat wound strings

harryharold

[quote name='Pookus' post='448357' date='Mar 28 2009, 08:03 PM']Thomastik JF324 String Set, Short Scale,
Nickel flatwound Roundcore, Gauges 043-056-070-106.

Just ordered these from Thomann for my EB 0[/quote]

I've been thinking of trying these as I like a deep smooth tone without too much treble.
They say they are for 32" scale, so they may be too long for a 30" scale bass.

Please report back on how you find them.

[quote name='redstriper' post='448385' date='Mar 28 2009, 08:48 PM']I've been thinking of trying these as I like a deep smooth tone without too much treble.

Please report back on how you find them.[/quote]

Will post results of 32" flatwound strings on 30" scale bass type experiment soon :)

[quote name='Pookus' post='448402' date='Mar 28 2009, 09:17 PM']Will post results of 32" flatwound strings on 30" scale bass type experiment soon :)[/quote]

The others I've been considering are the [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]status hot wire flatwounds[/url]

Does anyone have any experience of these in comparison to the TIs?

[quote name='harryharold' post='445766' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:35 AM']Need to put some flat wounds on an EB0, its a 30 inch scale i think. Does anyone know where i can find them? Searched everywhere.

Could i just used normal scale ones and have most the string wrapped around the machinehead (i really hate doing that)?

Cheers

Harry[/quote]

Hi ,
Try Nu Tone strings in Heanor, Derbyshire 01773 714409, if memory serves me correct, they can make sets to order.

Hope this helps.

Rhino.

or LaBella (cheaper than TIs at £25) or, cheaper still, Rotosound Monel Flats £22- both are available on [url="http://www.stringbusters.com"]http://www.stringbusters.com[/url

I used the Rotosounds on an old s/s Rickenbacker I used to own and they were fine - not as luxurious feeling as TI Flats but well up to the task

Edited by Clarky

Don't put long scales on - you'd probably get away with it with rounds, but when I put an old set of rotosound flats on a musicmaster the winding broke & came away at the tuner, exposing the core. It looked like it had the potential to twang & take my eye out.

I've bought from stringbusters.co.uk & stringsdirect.co.uk

Rotosound do a short scale flat set, I have them on a danelectro longhorn & a musicmaster
LaBella do some nice deep talkin' flats in short scale with a choice of gauges. I put some on my daughters Musicmaster & 30" daisyrock.

My favourites though are Thomastik JF 324. They are 32" so may be too long for some shortie basses, but are perfect for my daughter's daisyrock elite (32" scale) plus mine which is identical and my CIJ Mustang.

i've now gone and got a set of rotosound flats, perfect length and sound good enough at the moment - though thats only acousticly. they seemed to be the easiest to get hold of and had relable enough reviews, will look out for other makes ofr the next set, i've always liked labellas.

[quote name='redstriper' post='448385' date='Mar 28 2009, 09:48 PM']I've been thinking of trying these as I like a deep smooth tone without too much treble.

Please report back on how you find them.[/quote]

The TI flats sound great though the E and G strings have some of the string (beyond the silks) wound around the posts as you have pointed out they are for 32" scale. No problems though - nice tension.

[quote name='Pookus' post='455812' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:31 PM']The TI flats sound great though the E and G strings have some of the string (beyond the silks) wound around the posts as you have pointed out they are for 32" scale. No problems though - nice tension.[/quote]
I don't think it matters that they're a bit too long.
I have extra long GHS flats on a jazz bass with some of the E string wound around the post and they've been on for years with no problems.
I can't decide whther to replace them with TIs, La Bellas or Status flats.
I don't like the rotosounds because they have ridges, are the TIs completely smooth?

[quote name='redstriper' post='455943' date='Apr 6 2009, 10:52 PM']I don't think it matters that they're a bit too long.
I have extra long GHS flats on a jazz bass with some of the E string wound around the post and they've been on for years with no problems.
I can't decide whther to replace them with TIs, La Bellas or Status flats.
I don't like the rotosounds because they have ridges, are the TIs completely smooth?[/quote]

The D and G seem completely smooth. There is a very slight texture to the E and A. Great strings I love them.

• 2 years later...