Why become a member? ×

Finger blisters ouch ouch ouch

Twigman

[quote name='JPJ' post='443783' date='Mar 24 2009, 02:03 PM']also make sure that your bass is set up properly (i.e. not as low as it can go, but with a proper amount of relief).[/quote]

Could you elaborate on the relief bit please?

By this point I'm just rehashing what others have said, but this has always worked for me.

In the short term, there's not much you can do except give your fingers a rest and cut back on the playing until they have healed. Try not to pop the blisters if at all possible, but don't worry too much if they do. In the past I've used that fake skin in a bottle stuff over blisters that have popped which gives them a bit of protection (and is antiseptic) but stings like buggery when you apply it. Once your fingers have healed, it's best to try to stop it from happening again. It's probably worth putting a new set of strings on your bass (I find nickel strings to be softer going than stainless steel ones) and getting the action sorted out. As others have suggested, try to turn your amp up a bit and to play lighter. This should be a lot easier with the action set up properly. Finally, stick with it. Try to play every day as this will help build up the hard skin on your fingers, but don't over do it as the last thing you want is more blisters. That being said, it's just something that you have to go through from time to time as a bass player.

[quote name='Twigman' post='443638' date='Mar 24 2009, 12:21 PM']everytime I turn it up a little the guitarist comes along and turns it down again!![/quote]

Everytime he does that, go over and urinate on his amp. He needs to learn who the alpha dog is.

EDIT: Being serious though, make sure your hands, fretboard and stings are always clean. I can't stand sweaty or grimy fretboards.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='AM1' post='444043' date='Mar 24 2009, 06:12 PM']We already discussed action though so I wondered if the relief had some specific influence on whether its harder to play or not.[/quote]
Action meaning the distance between fingerboard and strings to press down upon...relief is the a more maker/luthier term for the bow of the neck...kinda the same thing...in terms of adjustment...this also includes bridge adjustment...height,spacing etc...

High action in an unnatural...bowing of the neck,adjust the truss rod,and the 'relief' lowers the action...

we now walk into terms of preferance..Low action accommodates taping styles and fast playing,but isnt to hot if you want to dig in and really give a real dig in,tone....bassier,thicker..phatter..

Think of the difference between Cliff Williams of AC/DC and say...Brian Bromberg or Michael Manring..

though this isnt exclusive.....its really a person to person thing...

If you wander over to the Upright section and check out the bridges on the basses.....tell me what you see,take a pic.

I have had similar problems, but the skin on my fingers is now so thick, all that happens is the skin peels down really deep into my fingers so it's like a deep cut. I say a good balance between amp/monitor volume and a more controlled technique can often help.

I like to dig in sometimes, especially if I'm playing heavier stuff... just preferable to have a nice balance, especially at practices.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='444341' date='Mar 24 2009, 09:11 PM']I would advocate a rigorous programme of weight training, focussing particularly on the pectoral and triceps groups of muscles.
Then use your newfound strength to beat your guitards and drummer into playing more quietly.[/quote]

The Funk's method of taking a piss on their amp sounded like much more fun though! :)

Make a point of playing at least 15 -30 minutes a day, whenever you possibly can, but stop when your fingers start to get sore. (I realise that this is not particulary useful in a gig situation). Don't carry on until they blister - If you do then the skin underneath is all soft and you'll have to start building up the thicker skin again. Give it a few months and the problem will probably go away.

When I started I used to get blisters on both hands, but I now can't remember the last time I had any trouble - even after a 4 hour rehearsal, and I rarely get to play the 15 minutes a day that I should. On the plucking hand I used to find masking tape quite good - you still know its there, and you'll have to replace it every two or three tunes, but the feel on the strings is still realtively close to your own skin, and it doesn't degenerate into a sticky mess like elastoplast. Not ideal, but it might allow you to carry on when your fingers are begging you to stop.

The one thing said here that I disagree with is the idea of turning up the amp and playing more lightly. Its OK to an extent, but to me a string played lightly and amplified a lot does not sound the same as a string played hard and amplified less! The timbre and attack are quite different. If you like the sound of a lightly plucked string then fine, but if not then it really doesn't help.

I tend to play with fairly percussively (NOT Slapping/popping) with a lot of attack play, and I can't get that affect playing lightly (perhaps I need to practise more). Having said that its probably true to say that I generally play more lightly that I used to.

[quote name='Twigman' post='443611' date='Mar 24 2009, 12:03 PM']After a rather extended rehearsal on Sunday night ( a full 4 hours ) I am suffering.

The callouses [sp?] on my fingertips have developed into full grown blisters!

My ring finger and middle finger on my fretting hand
My index, middle and ring finger on my plucking hand
they're all blistered!!

What do you do to prevent blistering?

I've never been a fan of Elastoplast or the like as it reduces the feel - I need to feel the strings.

So what do you do?

Just to add - I don't slap.
I pluck finger style.

I no longer use a plectrum - it doesn't really suit - fingers is the only style that satisfies.[/quote]

You are not playing enough. Play more if you use fingerstyle your fingers should catch on peoples wooly jumpers,you can also chew the hard bits off which is nice when no ones looking.

Curveball here, but have a look outside of bass playing for a cause.

Do you use hand moisturiser or greasy products during the week which get on your finger tips (which you don't wash/rub off) ? As that could be a reason why your callouses have turned to blisters -> you've softened them somehow.

Don't blame it on the playing as 4 hours isn't too bad.

Playing for 4 hours is not that long. To me it just sounds like you need to keep playing so the skin on your fingers toughen up. Just try and practise as much as you can and in time it will get easier.

If however, your fingers are hurting or your wrist is hurting then like others have said, you could be plucking to hard, your bass is set up wrong or your technique/posture might need looking at.

Of course, as your a girl, I can't post without saying, stop being a big wussie :)

Where do you pluck the bass? moving the plucking hand closer to the end of the neck may relieve pressure: but as with all the suggestions will also change the sound.

The other option is when you feel the blisters start to form, use a plectrum.

Final suggestion is to use an Asbury. Silicon strings==no blisters, surely?