Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Plethora X5/X3 Thread

stewblack

OK, so, I've had a play with the X5. Particularly with the (just updated) android app. 

I focused on a couple of toneprints, one for the Subnup and one for the Helix phaser (a name destined to cause confusion). 

It's simple to use, but extremely hit and miss as to what each control achieves. I am none the wiser after an hour of fiddling. The labels are probably clear to a TC Electronic developer but not to me. 

Other multi effects have the same controls on the machine itself as on the app or computer. This usually means that they're way too complicated to alter or set up on the pedal. 

The X5 differs. On the pedal there are 3 parameters and a list of toneprints for each effect. So you choose a toneprint close to what you're looking for then you can tweak the three 'main' parameters. Job done. 

On the phone app you can alter a plethora (ahem) of parameters and add extras - modulation on your octave? No problem! Interestingly you can add drive to the effects I looked at. At least, there was a virtual knob labelled 'drive'. 

• Like 3

I use a computer to adjust parametres. There are so many it is far easier to have a big screen standing still in front of me.

Today I uploaded a new SW version to the board and the newest TonePrint. I put four delays and the harmonizer (octaver) to the board (DD - H - DD, no chance to put DDDDD). Tomorrow is the time to play and tweak.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, Harlequin74 said:

I want one! Actually very practical on stage, and would use it alot. 

you dont really need it now you have a Helix , Stew! 

cheers

Ha ha ha! You might think that, but actually I am not sure the Helix is going to last.

I have done some trials with several delays (through headphones only). No, it does not sound like a double bass but it really sounds different. I have tried short delays (1 - 6 ms = 30 - 180 cm) and mixed them with different feedbacks and levels. Tests continue...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked one up! Wanted a corona chorus so justified the extra cost because I won’t need any more pedals (yeah, right). 

anyway, first problem of many. The tuner - does it do alternate tunings? I can’t figure it out

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

Have there been any tone prints to add some dirt effects made available yet?  I'm holding on until it covers all of the very minimal effects requirements I have (Octave, Chorus and Overdrive).

I don't think so...

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2021 at 11:28, Bass Culture said:

Have there been any tone prints to add some dirt effects made available yet?

No. I can understand this very well: my choice is Old Growth Fuzz which certainly isn't your choice. But you can connect any external unit before, or after the PX5, or to the loop, and get the crunch you love.

I run my board in two loops. Big loop with all effects in it running parallel to the clean untouched signal.

Then a loop within the Plethora (2nd in chain after the Sub'n'up) with my Source Audio collection of dirt, synth, filter, and phaser. Then Flanger, Chorus, Compression and Noise Gate in the remaining Plethora slots.

• 5 months later...

As I just happened to see this thread, TC released a new firmware version (1.3.6). Release notes below. Big things are a new echo pedal, better MIDI and finally being able to view from right to left as we're used to with pedal order (although I'm now used to the Plethora anyway...)

PLETHORA X5 Firmware Update Release Notes
Version 1.3.6 (13 Jan 2022)

Dear customer,
We are proud to bring you the latest update for your Plethora X5 TonePrint Pedalboard. FW1.3 has a
new pedal, customizable signal display, new graphics, upgraded EXP control, faster MIDI, faster board
changing and a whole host of optimizations for better performance.
Enjoy!
TC Electronic

What’s new?

1. PEDALS
    We’ve included the addition of the Alter Ego Vintage Echo pedal which can be found on the EFFECTS list in EDIT mode.

2. CONTROLS
    Reverse the signal chain order display from ‘Left > Right’ to ‘Left < Right’ via the settings menu.
    Note: We’ve also added an IN and OUT indicator to the screens in PLAY mode to illustrate which way you have it set.

GLOBAL > DISPLAY SETTINGS > CHAIN ORDER

3. HOT KNOBZ GRAPHICS
    Added new UI graphics to show which pedals have HOT KNOBS assigned and give visual feedback when tweaking in PLAY mode.

SETTINGS > BOARD > HOT KNOBZ

4. UPGRADED EXP
    External expression pedals connected to the EXP input for use as a volume pedal or parameter modifier experience faster response, better tracking and higher resolution.

SETTINGS > BOARD > EXP ASIGNMENT

5. FASTER MIDI
    Plethora X5 responds faster to incoming MIDI signals.

SETTINGS > GLOBAL > MIDI

6. FASTER BOARD CHANGING
    Experience faster load times and response when switching BOARDS.

7. NEW BYPASS MODE
    We’ve added a new bypass mode BUFFERED / NO TRAILS which gives buffered bypass to avoid any “true bypass clicks” but cuts trails from pedals such as flashback delay and hall of fame reverb when they are disengaged.

SETTINGS > GLOBAL > PRODUCT SETTINGS > BYPASS TYPE > BUFFERED / NO TRAILS

Enhancements / Bugfixes:

• Tempo indicator renewed between delay Toneprints changes
  • Changes to effects using octaver and MASH – e.g. shimmer reverbs, some sub’n’up and crystal delay
  • Better UI responsiveness using potmeters in edit mode
  • UI tranquillity: No more blinking icons and sloppy redrawing between states
  • Extensive signal processing to make pedals sound even better
  • Shaker vibrato ramp time
  • Viscous Vibe Toneprints updated
  • PX5 Flashback 2 feedback not disabled when TpFx is bypassed
  • Tape delay 8. and 4+8. subdivision confusion when using MASH
  • Using “live” modifiers (Hot Knobz, MASH, expression pedal) and how they cleanup when disengaged or unplugged. When disengaged the effect should return to normal. The modifiers are prioritized like the following (highest to lowest): Expression pedal, MASH / Ramp, Hot Knobz, Pots
  • Fixed, Set EXP Pedal from modifier to volume resets all hotknobs
  • Glitch when quick swapping effects
  • UI glitches in general
  • Reduced clicks and pops in general

• Thanks 1

The best thing about the X5 is its  simplicity.

It can be as straightforward to use as if it were a five pedal board, each pedal with only three controls. No need to connect to a computer.

Or you can choose and download (via Bluetooth if you wish) ready made toneprints. 

Then for those intrepid types, unafraid of the deep software dive, you can create your own pedals.

You can switch between boards with midi,  if that's your thing, add an effects loop without taking up one of the five slots, or take up one and use it to turn multiple external pedals on and off.

I love that I can use it straight out of the box, just as if I had a five pedal board, make quick changes on the fly, mash the footswitches to alter the effects while playing.

The downsides? No dirt pedal. But I have put one in the loop, so no issue for me.The excellent onboard tuner requires a triple tap to engage it, which is a tad tricky.

On 24/03/2021 at 08:21, glassmoon said:

I'm interested in understanding why you would want the Plethora and the Stomp together.  Surely the Stomp has more than enough effects?
I'm also interested as I'd love a decent multi-fx (said with a great amount of respect to the fact that neither the Line 6 nor the TCE are actually MFX units) and I've tossed about the idea of the Stomp vs the Effects vs the Plethora.  I have never been a great user of drive (I love dry tones, but in a function band, as needs must...).

Asking for myself :D 

The Stomp only has very few “blocks”.  1-4 of these are immediately eaten up by amp/cab blocks.  If you use two amps you are also SERIOUSLY close to hitting the DSP limit.  Even some single bass amp models eat up loads of DSP. If you use a complex delay or reverb block it’s gone.

Add a Plethora and you have 5 more “blocks” with no DPS used.

• Like 2