Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Plethora X5/X3 Thread

stewblack

I went for it. To heck with being sensible.

I have updated the firmware. Had a little fiddle. Changed a few effects. I got a little tired and left it for now. 

However, I had a noodle, and so far I've discovered that it sounds really, really good. 

The most encouraging thing about it is how utterly simple and intuitive it is. 

More to come.. oh, who fancies a picture? 

IMG_20210218_182458.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hey @stewblack. Nice one. What TonePrints (if any) are you using...and/or what "pedals" will you be using?

I've been interested in one of these since it was announced. This or the H X Stomp, but I like that this is pretty much a pedal board's worth of stomp boxes and very little else.

And I do like TCE 

Hello @glassmoon. I have only had a rudimentary play. The Helix will do more, but it's a different beast.

This is a pedal board. Pure and simple. The effects loop goes wherever you want it to. I had a play with an OD pedal in the loop, just after the compressor before a phaser. Sounds superb.

I paired the phone app.... eventually! but other than play around with some harmony sounds I've not done that much. 

I'll get back at you tomorrow when I hope to have a little time. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

This is a pedal board. Pure and simple. The effects loop goes wherever you want it to. I had a play with an OD pedal in the loop, just after the compressor before a phaser. Sounds superb.

This is exactly what I want... I love chorus, delay, reverb... the rest is just a plus.  The TCE compressor I am unfamiliar with, but seems to have good reviews - and especially as it's TP driven, as are all the effects, that is a win (plus the software to tweak).

I guess I will just have to wait until I can get one - or justify one through "house arrest"

Thank you for the great feedback @stewblack

5 hours ago, glassmoon said:

Thank you for the great feedback

My pleasure! The compressor is pretty much your favourite compressor. You can have it however you want it. 

The phaser is glorious, the chorus is a bunch of choruses, and I thought the lack of envelope might be a big disadvantage until I turned one of the vibes into an auto wah. 

You'll get nothing but GAS from me right now I'm afraid! 

• Like 3

I began to wonder if the choice of effects was a bit limited, especially given the price. There is after all a gaping overdrive shaped hole.

However, one of the issues I've always had with multi fx is that there are way too many options. I always felt I was under using them, and perversely, I often didn't. 

The TCE Px5 scores by the sheer quality of the effects. It just sounds amazing. And if it doesn't, change it. Simple. 

Also, there has been an update which added a couple of effects already, and no reason to assume that there won't be more. 

Anyhoo. I am content. 

• Like 4

I like the idea of a digital pedal board, but without the complexity of some MultiFX units. I've tried a few and as you say, most of the effects are of little use... Even to the fringe bassist I would suspect. 

A drive in the loop would sort the "hole" out, and as you also say, these are quality effects and relatively easily customised. 

Now to find £399

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

I like the idea of a digital pedal board, but without the complexity of some MultiFX units. I've tried a few and as you say, most of the effects are of little use... Even to the fringe bassist I would suspect. 

A drive in the loop would sort the "hole" out, and as you also say, these are quality effects and relatively easily customised. 

Now to find £399

Less than 360 on Amazon. Every little helps. 

• Like 1

Probably ought to be doing this thread in a private message with @glassmoon but I'll continue updating here. Never know we might even get a Plethora thread going.

So today I have been playing with the effects loop. 

I was worried it might take up a slot on the board, but while that appears to be an option, you can just tell the X5 to insert it between any of the 5 'pedals'.

IMG_20210220_122734.thumb.jpg.9f681f4621e369e59d7df1dfa51280a9.jpg

The eye opener for me has so far been the Mimiq Doubler. I moved it to before the inserted effect and it really adds something to the filter. 

Which reminds me - the envelope hole is being filled by my newly arrived Spectrum. Holy moly. 

IMG_20210220_121358.thumb.jpg.da00dfa22a780ab4d562ad4c24692595.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can see the attraction. I know the helix stuff does all sorts of amazing but my head goes fuzzy when faced with millions of options so instead of actually getting something of value done I just ffaff around. This is true for the rest of my life as well. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have been playing with delays in the chain. I have not updated the latest SW, maybe today. The problem has been, that it is not possible to put one setting to all five places. The first trials with super short delays seem to work. The suitable lengths have to be found out, will take more time.

6 hours ago, hen barn said:

I fancy one of these. I don’t use many effects

Chorus

octaver

tuner

compressor

ehx mono synth 

so would be perfect if there was a basic 80s synth sound!?

are the sounds as good/same as single tv pedals or like all multi effect you lose some bass tone 

No dedicated synth pedal yet, but there is an effect loop which allows you to put one where you want to in the chain - without taking up one of the channels. 

The sounds are excellent and most definitely not inferior to the individual pedals. Just a few glaring holes in the line up. Dirt, synth and envelope filter top of my list. 

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Dirt, synth and envelope filter top of my list. 

I hear Dirt is on its way - not sure when, but TCE have said they would look at it should the demand be great.  It's funny, you'd think TC would have at least one drive pedal in the TonePrint arsenal, but it would seem not... and yet, the MojoMojo is quite usable with bass

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

Getting my Helix Stomp soon...

I'm interested in understanding why you would want the Plethora and the Stomp together.  Surely the Stomp has more than enough effects?
I'm also interested as I'd love a decent multi-fx (said with a great amount of respect to the fact that neither the Line 6 nor the TCE are actually MFX units) and I've tossed about the idea of the Stomp vs the Effects vs the Plethora.  I have never been a great user of drive (I love dry tones, but in a function band, as needs must...).

Asking for myself :D 

22 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

interested in understanding why you would want the Plethora and the Stomp together. 

Well, there is probably a couple of answers to this. 

Lockdown lunacy cannot be discounted. 

But there is a little band of Plethorites on FB who use both together. They midi them up and use the Helix to switch Plethora boards. 

I have become intrigued with their shenanigans, and wanted to have a go. 

Like you it was a debate as to which one I went for, but then I thought sell a bass, and I can have both. 

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Lockdown lunacy cannot be discounted. 

Well, I'm not alone then hahahaha

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

But there is a little band of Plethorites on FB who use both together. They midi them up and use the Helix to switch Plethora boards. 

Ah, Midi - I understand so little of how that works, I admit.  but I can see the possibilities :) 

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Like you it was a debate as to which one I went for, but then I thought sell a bass, and I can have both. 

Interesting approach hahahaha - I like my basses though (ponders).

I will be watching your posts @stewblack, as ever, with much interest.  I am curious to see how "easy" it is to (a) use the Stomp as an FX board, (b) a midi switching master and (c) how much of the bells and whistles (the amp and cab sims, the routing etc etc etc etc etc) are needed for playing down the pub, and how many are really nice to have as recording and live tools.  But this is not that forum is it hahaha

8 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Ah, Midi - I understand so little of how that works, I admit.  but I can see the possibilities :) 

Please don't over estimate me. I am utterly clueless. 

This will be

A) A fun learning experience 

or

B) An expensive source of frustration, which ends up on the For Sale pages. 

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Please don't over estimate me. I am utterly clueless. 

This will be

A) A fun learning experience 

or

B) An expensive source of frustration, which ends up on the For Sale pages. 

PMSL... yeah, live and learn is an expensive game innit?  Good luck and looking forward to seeing your posts

• stewblack changed the title to TC Electronic Plethora X5/X3 Thread