Jump to content

Basschat easy-build lockdown cab project


stevie

Recommended Posts

Further to my previous FRFR question... Is there any reason one couldn't adjust the cabinet shape kick-back monitor style? Assuming the internal volume remains the same I would imagine the only downside would be with construction difficulty?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/09/2021 at 11:07, Bigwan said:

Further to my previous FRFR question... Is there any reason one couldn't adjust the cabinet shape kick-back monitor style? Assuming the internal volume remains the same I would imagine the only downside would be with construction difficulty?

As long as you can handle the woodworking, it sounds like a good idea to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Aargh! Celestion compression driver out of stock everywhere! Bugrit...

That's often the problem with these self-build projects. The Beyma 12" driver originally recommended for our 12" cabinet is now out of production. The horn for the BC112 MkIII is more or less only available from Blue Aran and has been out of stock for months - and now this.

For this 10" cab, I deliberately specified components that would be readily available anywhere because it's not always possible to use alternative parts with these custom designs. I haven't checked, but I wouldn't expect Celestion to be out of stock for long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/09/2021 at 09:36, Pea Turgh said:

So the 1x10 first set, and a new, as yet unannounced super speaker for 2nd set?

 

@stevie- tell us more!

 

I've been working on a few ideas during lockdown. As I design first and foremost for my own use, I've been trying to push the boundaries of what's possible while still keeping the cabinets compact and relatively affordable - and trying to make them look great. Basically, I deserve the best (!) and that's what these will be. 

 

That's it for the moment. As I have a full-time job and a family to keep me busy, they'll be ready when they're ready. And I promise you lot will be the first to know.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, stevie said:

As long as you can handle the woodworking, it sounds like a good idea to me. 

Novice at best... But I have access to my (recently deceased) father's full collection of power tools... including a table saw... What could possibly go wrong!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, stevie said:

 

I've been working on a few ideas during lockdown. As I design first and foremost for my own use, I've been trying to push the boundaries of what's possible while still keeping the cabinets compact and relatively affordable - and trying to make them look great. Basically, I deserve the best (!) and that's what these will be. 

 

That's it for the moment. As I have a full-time job and a family to keep me busy, they'll be ready when they're ready. And I promise you lot will be the first to know.

 

Just pictures would suffice!  Or bring to the SW Bash?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

Novice at best... But I have access to my (recently deceased) father's full collection of power tools... including a table saw... What could possibly go wrong!!!

Lots. 😃

 

Remember, PU glue is your friend - as is fibreglass filler. I speak from experience. They both cover a multitude of bodges. Finish with Tuffcab and nobody will know.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

My scrap wood challenge cab is having a change of appearance

 

Spray glue and some red leatherette covering

 

Stainless grille

 

Covering is an art for sure, but it's quite enjoyable

 

(apart from when you start 180 degress out, so you find that your join will be on the top face rather than the bottom as planned - taking it off and re-applying was fun... not)

cab.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The important trick is to buy a new set of Stanley blades. They need to be really sharp for the best finish. Love the vinyl, haven't seen it called leatherette for a while :)

 

and yes I've done the upside down trick, there aren't many mistakes I haven't made. 

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...