Why become a member? ×

Basschat easy-build lockdown cab project

stevie

Further to my previous FRFR question... Is there any reason one couldn't adjust the cabinet shape kick-back monitor style? Assuming the internal volume remains the same I would imagine the only downside would be with construction difficulty?

On 07/09/2021 at 11:07, Bigwan said:

Further to my previous FRFR question... Is there any reason one couldn't adjust the cabinet shape kick-back monitor style? Assuming the internal volume remains the same I would imagine the only downside would be with construction difficulty?

As long as you can handle the woodworking, it sounds like a good idea to me. 

4 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Aargh! Celestion compression driver out of stock everywhere! Bugrit...

That's often the problem with these self-build projects. The Beyma 12" driver originally recommended for our 12" cabinet is now out of production. The horn for the BC112 MkIII is more or less only available from Blue Aran and has been out of stock for months - and now this.

For this 10" cab, I deliberately specified components that would be readily available anywhere because it's not always possible to use alternative parts with these custom designs. I haven't checked, but I wouldn't expect Celestion to be out of stock for long. 

On 07/09/2021 at 09:36, Pea Turgh said:

So the 1x10 first set, and a new, as yet unannounced super speaker for 2nd set?

@stevie- tell us more!

I've been working on a few ideas during lockdown. As I design first and foremost for my own use, I've been trying to push the boundaries of what's possible while still keeping the cabinets compact and relatively affordable - and trying to make them look great. Basically, I deserve the best (!) and that's what these will be. 

That's it for the moment. As I have a full-time job and a family to keep me busy, they'll be ready when they're ready. And I promise you lot will be the first to know.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, stevie said:

As long as you can handle the woodworking, it sounds like a good idea to me. 

Novice at best... But I have access to my (recently deceased) father's full collection of power tools... including a table saw... What could possibly go wrong!!!

50 minutes ago, stevie said:

I've been working on a few ideas during lockdown. As I design first and foremost for my own use, I've been trying to push the boundaries of what's possible while still keeping the cabinets compact and relatively affordable - and trying to make them look great. Basically, I deserve the best (!) and that's what these will be. 

That's it for the moment. As I have a full-time job and a family to keep me busy, they'll be ready when they're ready. And I promise you lot will be the first to know.

Just pictures would suffice!  Or bring to the SW Bash?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

Novice at best... But I have access to my (recently deceased) father's full collection of power tools... including a table saw... What could possibly go wrong!!!

Lots. 😃

Remember, PU glue is your friend - as is fibreglass filler. I speak from experience. They both cover a multitude of bodges. Finish with Tuffcab and nobody will know.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My scrap wood challenge cab is having a change of appearance

Spray glue and some red leatherette covering

Stainless grille

Covering is an art for sure, but it's quite enjoyable

(apart from when you start 180 degress out, so you find that your join will be on the top face rather than the bottom as planned - taking it off and re-applying was fun... not)

cab.jpg

• Like 3

The important trick is to buy a new set of Stanley blades. They need to be really sharp for the best finish. Love the vinyl, haven't seen it called leatherette for a while :)

and yes I've done the upside down trick, there aren't many mistakes I haven't made. 

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been watching this thread for MONTHS and simply cannot find the compression driver anywhere in stock... 

Getting sick of waiting for Thomann with their endless cycle of "in stock in 2-5 days" changing to "3-5 weeks" (I'm outside of EU).

I've got everything else in hand excluding the drivers and its extremely frustrating as the original october birthday gift now seems to be heading for a post Christmas project! 

Any advice on a company that will ship internationally that has stock, or a compression driver substitution option would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2021 at 20:28, Norm said:

Thinking of having a go at a couple of the 10" cabs as a new year project.

Has anybody tried them with a small valve amp? & if so how did they perform & did it sound ace?

Going to use them for rehearsals & small gigs.

churrs,

Norm. 

To be fair the cabs will work well at reletively low volume. When I have been over at Stevie's we often try cabs with recorded music at reletively low power levels and for several years I used my Basschat 12 Mk2/Mk3 cabs for practice in the lounge (adjoining the party wall in a semi). @Phil Starrhas gigged rge 110T and can give you more advice there>

• Like 2

I'm still using the prototype for rehearsals, it does the job really well and it is a nice easy carry. Gig s are few and far between but i've used the 110T twice on it's own. Great for the small awkward pubs but two would be great. It's not like any other single 10 in that respect. 

My personal preference is for running at monitor levels and going through the PA for the audience and one of these is ideal for that sort of use.

• Like 2

I use one for rehearsals and two for small/medium pub gigs

I reduce the low and low mid eq a smidge and power them with a TC BH550

Given the simplicity and the size, this design really does pack a punch

Pre recorded music through them sounds really good too. Amazing, given how simple the crossover circuit is!

I'd recommend anyone to have a go! Its very satisfying when you hear your own creation come to life 😊

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GlamBass74 said:

I use one for rehearsals and two for small/medium pub gigs

I reduce the low and low mid eq a smidge and power them with a TC BH550

Given the simplicity and the size, this design really does pack a punch

Pre recorded music through them sounds really good too. Amazing, given how simple the crossover circuit is!

I'd recommend anyone to have a go! Its very satisfying when you hear your own creation come to life 😊

I'm thinking of same, 1 for rehearsals & 2 for small gigs. Big gigs already covered by Trace v4 & Barefaced vintage 2x15!

Quite fancy getting a small valve amp, something Ampeg or "little bastard" from Ashdown? 

One other thing I would say about the easy build cab....

I have one without an HF horn (fitted, but not connected & no crossover inside)

Even just as a 1 x 10 with a port they sound good

If its the crossover side of things that's putting you off, then it may be worth trying without to begin with

Certainly enough "top end" for my tastes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 05/03/2021 at 16:50, stevie said:

Here's a diagram of the crossover. It doesn't get any simpler than this. I've assembled the circuit using a (chocolate block) terminal strip. So - no soldering needed. I'll post a frequency response of the finished system and of the assembled crossover later today.

The Pulse 10 is wired directly to the input and this circuit connects to the HF unit.

xover.jpg

Seems my build is being hamstrung by a mis-labelled 4.7k ohm resistor and the horn is not getting any signal at all! That will teach me to build something without measuring the devices...

before I buy the correct 4.7ohm item, is there an ideal wattage? is 5w large enough? 

Cheers