Why become a member? ×

Cheap but nice strings: Harley Benton

mcnach

£6.50 + VAT for a 5 string set, or £3.60 for a 4 string.

Normally it would not interest me much as I know what I like and don't stray just to save a few quid (I don't change strings that often), but I got a Harley Benton MB-5 SBK a few weeks ago and presumably these are the strings on it... and I really like them!

I ordered a set from Newtone already, but once the strings the bass came on lost the initial 'new zing' a bit I'm really liking them... so much that I am hesitant whether to try the Newtone ones or stay with the HB sets.

Delivery is £8, so if you just buy one set you're not saving all that much but if you're already buying something else and stay under the 'magic' £135 limit, it may be worth adding a set or two of these to the order.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_strings_for_electric_bass.html

strings.jpg?dl=1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skybone said:

Unfortunately, you also now have to factor in VAT, Postage and Handling charges. Probably still cheaper than buying big name sets.

Postage is £8, no handling charges if you keep the total under £135, and VAT of course but we're talking about sets of strings that cost less than singles of the types I usually go for :D

Buying just one set doesn't seem that economic, even if it's still cheaper than D'Addario nickels and I like them better. Of course you may not like them at all, who knows?

• Like 1

I wonder if they're the default strings Thomann ships out on their HB basses, the ones that came on mine where very bright and crisp.
More so than I wanted so I changed them straight away but kept them like the string hoarder I am.

To my untrained ear they sound a lot like the Ernie Ball set I've used since, and those were around £20 I think so that'd be a bargain getting several HB sets for the same price.