Why become a member? ×

Carvin Basses

Al Krow

• 1 year later...
On 01/02/2021 at 03:11, LeftyJ said:

I've owned a couple of them, and still have two. Three of them have been very impressive, especially for the price I paid used. One was a dud, but then again it was modified by the previous owner (lacquer on the back of the neck removed and replaced with tung oil, and the profile shaved down by a couple mm) so I can't tell for sure if it always was. It looked fantastic though, it was an LB75 with a hidden two-piece maple neck through body, walnut wings and a flamed walnut top, ebony fingerboard, and it looked really well-made. I didn't get on with the neck, and it didn't sound as lively and not nearly as loud as the other LB75 that I had (and bought back last summer after 10 years). 

I think used Carvins are incredible value for money, because they hold their value very poorly. You can often find high-spec Carvin instruments for really low prices. I paid only 250 GBP for my black LB75 here on Basschat because of wear to the finish, and I paid roughly the same for a lovely B4 in perfect shape (bolt-on, natural gloss alder body, one-piece maple neck, birdseye maple fingerboard, passive electronics). My 7-string DC727 guitar cost me 600 GBP and it's like new, almost untouched. The 7-string and my black LB75 are the ones I still own, and not going anywhere soon 😎

_20210201_091019.thumb.JPG.955bc0204f8d07180552ec400a746973.JPG

I actually have a LB75P neckthrough I was looking to either repair or replace the electronics on. The pots are sticking and long in the tooth. I tried getting info on getting replacement parts but they no longer support these.. I have to do some research because I've never upgraded especially with pezio puckups..

I remember Carvin were always in Bass Player magazine back in the 90s, but they always seemed like a US brand - I never saw them over here. I always loved the look of them though, especially Chris Squire's, probably the only 6 string I've seen that looks completely natural and not an expanded 4 string.

It's a pity they were taken over by that colossal anchor Kiesel.

chris_squire_uses_carvin_lb_76a_1_66d47eb432.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's a pity they were taken over by that colossal anchor Kiesel.

Yep, Jeff Kiesel is a bit of a tool. I don’t really like where their design direction went after the name change either, with all the bevels and bland headstock shapes. I kinda liked the LB shape (now out of production) and love the old rounded DC guitar shape. They're very comfortable to play and just have a classic look to them. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I remember Carvin were always in Bass Player magazine back in the 90s, but they always seemed like a US brand - I never saw them over here. 

I seem to remember that ABC Music who had a few shops at the time were UK agents/importers for Carvin in the late 80s early 90s and you could choose and order what spec guitar or bass you wanted through them. 

58 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I didn't start playing until late '95 as a penniless teenager so probably missed them. Not that I would have been in any position to try or order one for a good few years!

Yes I understand. I was older and had more money but they were always out of my price range too! I think at the time one of their main selling points was that you were buying an American built custom bass or guitar built to your spec. 

• Like 1