Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan - Technique with no soul?

saibuster

Billy SHeehan plays music that gets right up most peoples nose.

He is ridiculously gifted technically.

Jeff Berlin states he regards him as the best rock bassist of all time, and they've hung out enough for Jeff to have a decent insight on this one.

His early Niacin stuff is staggering (Elbow Grease and Stomping Ground are wicked super fast grooves)

His instructional video is hysterical, one of the funniest most cringe worthy pieces of interviewing ever - but it has some great info in it too.

His attitude in interview is great though - very cool guy, crap sense of humour mind :)

I cant listen to more than 1 minute of that shred stuff without going postal though.....

Seems like a nice fella to me. I remeber the Scientology interview he gave outside a Scientology centre. I think Scientology is a cult that rips people off, and the journalist was being pretty harsh on him, but he just cam across as a really nice fella.

As for his playing, its not my cup of Tea. Technically, he seems great, and he clearly loves to play. He got much more passion than most "technical players". Seems passionate about bass which can only be good.

I get the impression that if you told him you hated his music, he'd take it on the chin without being a dick.

Billy Sheehan - he's alright by me.

[quote name='ARGH' post='440199' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:18 PM']A big fat shut the f*** up to the antiSheehan collective.[/quote]

Well, whaddaya know - matching hair! Sorry, I can't take anyone seriously with hair like that. What were they thinking? :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='440199' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:18 PM']A big fat shut the f*** up to the antiSheehan collective.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p49yndQKoFE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p49yndQKoFE...feature=related[/url][/quote]

Yeah thats the vid that made me cringe etc etc

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='440085' date='Mar 20 2009, 10:36 AM']Seems like a nice fella to me. I remeber the Scientology interview he gave outside a Scientology centre. I think Scientology is a cult that rips people
I get the impression that if you told him you hated his music, he'd take it on the chin without being a dick.

Billy Sheehan - he's alright by me.[/quote]

Yeah totally agree, definitely thick skinned I think.

Certainly very humble about it all too.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='440085' date='Mar 20 2009, 10:36 AM']Seems like a nice fella to me. I remeber the Scientology interview he gave outside a Scientology centre. I think Scientology is a cult that rips people off, and the journalist was being pretty harsh on him, but he just cam across as a really nice fella.

As for his playing, its not my cup of Tea. Technically, he seems great, and he clearly loves to play. He got much more passion than most "technical players". Seems passionate about bass which can only be good.

Billy Sheehan - he's alright by me.[/quote]

Has Tom Cruise been round to yours for tea ?

Just to say I saw Billy do a demo of his new preamp in Exeter to about 100 people a few years and he blew me away. Always been a fan of his playing, Niacin, Mr Big especially. Met him afterwards and he was a top bloke, signed a ton of autographs and spent a load of time chatting.

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='441254' date='Mar 21 2009, 07:27 PM']yeah he really is a great guy.
Can't believe Mr. Big are back together, its just amazing :) so excited!

Z
x[/quote]

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they'll be coming this way anytime soon... That said, I hear Fin-Air have been doing some very good deals on flights to Tokyo... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='441284' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:13 PM']yeah, but Billy said that they will head over here eventually :rolleyes:

Z
x[/quote]

Really!? :) That would be too awesome. Fingers-crossed...

Though seeing them play in Japan would surely be the ultimate Mr Big experience. Just wish the pound wasn't so weak against the Yen right now...

And back on topic - Sheehan is THE MAN. If he doesn't play with passion and feel, then I don't know who does...

[quote name='geilerbass' post='441295' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:29 PM']Really!? :) That would be too awesome. Fingers-crossed...

Though seeing them play in Japan would surely be the ultimate Mr Big experience. Just wish the pound wasn't so weak against the Yen right now...

And back on topic - Sheehan is THE MAN. If he doesn't play with passion and feel, then I don't know who does...[/quote]

Yeah it would!
been watching the Live in Japan DVD today :rolleyes:

[quote name='Johngh' post='441304' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:38 PM']Billy is one of only 3 "name" bassplayers that have bothered to answer e mails I sent them, the other 2 were Glenn Hughes and Tony Franklin. Diamond Geezers![/quote]

yeah he is very good at replying :D

Z