Why become a member? ×

ipod headphones.

Rayman

I'm after some decent ones to replace the scrap that come with the ipod from Sony.

I've got around 50 quid to spend, and some recommendations would be great. Ped and myself have already had this conversation a couple of times in the past, but I can never remember the details. Shure E2Cs were favourite until I was told they weren't great for ipods.

In ear phones are favourite, with a nice bass response, obviously.

Any input would be great.

Hi mate,

Yeah I love my E2cs for bass but with the iPod they are almost too revealing, hard to put my finger on it. Perhaps they would sound better with the rubber sleeves instead of the foam ones I use for bass playing.

I have some cheapish Sennheiser in ear headphones which I use when the Grado's are too cumbersome and they sound great - a little lively in the top end perhaps and being airtight you can hear any noise from moving the cable/walking/eating magnified x10 which can be frustrating!

Here they are: [url="http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/500968"]http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/500968[/url]

ped

Ahh yes, cheers Ped. I'd looked at those (the C400s actually) and was keen on them so they're on the list. Something's making me want the E2Cs though. I could use them for playing bass through the Tascam on too.

E2Cs have been replaced by SLC2s or something now - my brother got a set but we found them to sound very different to the E2Cs. Harsher and thinner sounding, I thought. Perhaps they need breaking in? Hmm.

[quote name='bassfan' post='436196' date='Mar 16 2009, 03:25 PM']I bought some Bose in ear headphones. They are the best in ear types I have ever had. I got them for £60 direct from the Bose shop near me. :)[/quote]

+1 for the Bose In Ear headphone. Be VERY careful of counterfeits on auction sites.
I bought direct from Bose and they are a revelation.

Etymotics ER6i: [url="http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx"]http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx[/url]

I love 'em - fit really snugly and deep in ear so the ambient noise is almost entirely cut out, frequency response is good, sound quality excellent, they're a bit on the pricey side I suppose, but the outers and filters are replaceable so if you look after them they should last you.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='437529' date='Mar 17 2009, 04:52 PM']The Wife gave me a pair of beyerdynamic DTX 50's for Xmas, they rock.
I have the eq flat on my ipod and they're grat from low to high.[/quote]

yeah having the EQ flat is a must IMO because all the EQ settings are extreme. I haven't heard one pair of cans reproduce most bass heavy records without distortion on the 'rock' setting. Even so, after all the evolutions the iPod has had, I don't know what they haven't developed a user programmable EQ... or have they? I have only had a 4th gen iPod Video and an iPhone...

I tend to use the Sony in ear ones. sound great with the IPOD. and i use them all the time for mixing sessions with ProTools (especially mastering!) I give sony's my thumbs up, tried a few others and the sony's just seem the all round best. Keep in mind thats not using any pro ones. just standard consumer.

And Ped i think you can have custom EQ's on the ipod if you set them on Itunes. never tested though.

G

[quote name='ped' post='437539' date='Mar 17 2009, 04:57 PM']I don't know what they haven't developed a user programmable EQ... or have they?[/quote]

I have one of the most recent iPod Touch models (whatever gen that is, 5th?), and they still haven't included this function which would be a great tool IMO. I *think* that there's an unofficial app you can download that has this functionality though.

As for the headphones - I've been using Sennheiser CX300s now for around a year and they're excellent value for money. I'd recommend buying them from an offical Sennheiser dealer though, as there are a lot of fakes out there unfortunately.

when im in the house but away from my hifi and have to resort to mp3's i love my grado sr80's,
im really not a fan of the Sennheiser - although you can get them nice and cheap (look out for copies though! they are EVERYWHERE and the packging is good, only get them from a propper shop)
goldring gx200 really are good for the money
etymotic er6i really are unbeatable though. i would STRONGLY recomemd them to anyone. i wish i still had a pair - theyre on a train somewhere near in essex :)
sure are ok if you have giant earholes. and a lot of money to spend for decent ones.
bose are evil.
:rolleyes:

[quote name='ped' post='437539' date='Mar 17 2009, 04:57 PM']yeah having the EQ flat is a must IMO because all the EQ settings are extreme. I haven't heard one pair of cans reproduce most bass heavy records without distortion on the 'rock' setting. Even so, after all the evolutions the iPod has had, I don't know what they haven't developed a user programmable EQ... or have they? I have only had a 4th gen iPod Video and an iPhone...[/quote]Too much bass ruins things. (Thinks about what he just said and hides). :)

The Sennheiser PX100 work really well with iPods - the hyped low frequency response makes up for the rather weak headphone amp on iPods which doesn't have enough oomph to get good bass from a headphone with studio-flat response. The stock headphones really are spectacularly poor.

Alex