Why become a member? ×

ipod headphones.

Rayman

I have a set of Ultimate Ears ones - the Superfi Pro 5. I resisted the temptation to get the enhanced bass response ones and went for the flatter respose version (which is actually more expensive). I am very impressed with these, although if you have anything on your iPod that has been encoded at a lower quality, you will really notice it. Like most in-ears, if they are not seated correctly in the ear they don't sound very good. You will notice some noise if the cable rubs on your clothing. They are fantastic for the Tube. With all the outside noise blocked off I don't even have to have them up loud at all. My volume never even gets up to half way. They are quite expensive though.

+1 for the in ear sennheisers......

Got mine for £50 from HMV forget the model ! 200/300/400 ??

I like the fact that the cable is very thing and easily dressed up an behind the ear....... ised them for Bass Practice, IPOD and IEM at gigs all with superb results....

I purchased some mega expensive Shure ones like £150 VAT free at the airport when I was flying to Dublin once, thought they were pretty poor so got a refund..... tried all of the different foam & rubber bungs and they just sounded thin and lifeless to me....

ATB

Mark

[quote name='Marcus' post='442188' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:16 AM']I purchased some mega expensive Shure ones like £150 VAT free at the airport when I was flying to Dublin once, thought they were pretty poor so got a refund..... tried all of the different foam & rubber bungs and they just sounded thin and lifeless to me....[/quote]

Yep, that's consistent with the iPod's headphone amp limitations - plug it into a high impedance load and the response is flat but plug it into a low impedance load that demands current delivery as any headphones do and it suffers serious sag in the lows. The solution is headphones that would sound far too bassy when driven by a decent headphone amp - so any expensive headphones with near-flat response will sound really thin on the bottom.

Alex

I really dont think its worth spending more than about £20 for ipod headphones. I'd go the extra mile for studio/hi-fi but the age old phrase "your rigs only as good as your worst component" - If the components a 70p heapdphone pre i'm happy to pay for comfort and a bit of extra bass and thats about it!

FWIW i use JVC in ears, [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=536085&Q=&is=REG&A=details"]These in fact[/url], and theyre very comfy and i dont have to think about what im listeninng too. they just do a job when im out and about :)

I use Shure SE210s which are rather good.
Only problem is that after...7 months(ish) of constant use the wire started to show out of the headphones.
But all i had to do was find the recipt and send them off and i Shure sent me a brand new pair. (and they have a 2 year warantee)

Might be slightly more expensive than 50 quid though.

Hmm...interesting! I always thought the standard iPod earphones that came with my iPod nano (bought last year) were rather good. Because they simpy don't stay in my ears, I have been wanting to buy soemthing else. I did buy a cheap no-name set and clearly they were way inferior to the iPod ones. So after reading this thread, I did buy a set of the Sennheiser CX300's. After trying both sets now, I have to say there is little difference between the two of them - in fact to my ears the iPod ones are actually slightly better - better bass and they seem to impart a degree of depth to the sound (difficult to describe). If only they wouldn't fall out! (And no, I am not using tape to hold them in!). Also, they are noticeabley louder than the CX300s.
How much does the size of the ear pieces affect the sound - the CX300s are half the size of iPod ones - I presume this must go someway in affecting the quality and the frequency range of the earphones?
Did Apple supply good and bad sets of earphones with different iPods? Have I just got a good set? BTW, I bought the CX300s via Amazon, so I assume they are genuine!

[quote name='andrewrx7' post='445901' date='Mar 26 2009, 12:40 PM']Hmm...interesting! I always thought the standard iPod earphones that came with my iPod nano (bought last year) were rather good. Because they simpy don't stay in my ears, I have been wanting to buy soemthing else. I did buy a cheap no-name set and clearly they were way inferior to the iPod ones. So after reading this thread, I did buy a set of the Sennheiser CX300's. After trying both sets now, I have to say there is little difference between the two of them - in fact to my ears the iPod ones are actually slightly better - better bass and they seem to impart a degree of depth to the sound (difficult to describe). If only they wouldn't fall out! (And no, I am not using tape to hold them in!). Also, they are noticeabley louder than the CX300s.
How much does the size of the ear pieces affect the sound - the CX300s are half the size of iPod ones - I presume this must go someway in affecting the quality and the frequency range of the earphones?
Did Apple supply good and bad sets of earphones with different iPods? Have I just got a good set? BTW, I bought the CX300s via Amazon, so I assume they are genuine![/quote]

Never assume that because you bought them from Amazon any online market that they are genuine......

[quote name='jonsmith' post='439231' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:45 PM']I have a set of Ultimate Ears ones - the Superfi Pro 5. I resisted the temptation to get the enhanced bass response ones and went for the flatter respose version (which is actually more expensive). I am very impressed with these, although if you have anything on your iPod that has been encoded at a lower quality, you will really notice it. Like most in-ears, if they are not seated correctly in the ear they don't sound very good. You will notice some noise if the cable rubs on your clothing. They are fantastic for the Tube. With all the outside noise blocked off I don't even have to have them up loud at all. My volume never even gets up to half way. They are quite expensive though.[/quote]

I also use Ultimate Ears phones & I love them. i only really use them for iPod use but my drummer uses the same ones for live in-ear monitoring work.

The design has changed slightly now but I think mine were the Super Fi Pro twin driver ones. Cost me about £110 I think but you ahve to really shop around on price, I've seen them over £150.

I have just been told about pure-base.com. They have a promo on the Bose in-ears for £34.99 a pair and they have free delivery!!!

However, I have tries the Bang & Olufson ones which are also on there for £64.99, and they are supberb!!