Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith BSR 4MW - SOLD
£2100
South Oxfordshire

molan

I picked up this lovely Ken Smith, in a recent trade but I'm having a bit of a clear out at the moment and, as this was the latest acquisition, I decided it should be the first to go!

It's 2002 Ken Smith BSR 4MW (bolt-on neck) model with, I think, a claro walnut top & rear and that classic, and classy, Smith tone. Nothing else ever sounds quite like a Smith. They are known for a very clear & precise articulate sound with nice lower mids and a sort of bright and open 'ring' to the high end. This doesn't necessarily mean they are overly bright and harsh though. You can get a surprising number of different sounds from the Smith onboard eq. In fact it's hard to get a 'bad' sound from one! I've been playing this at home through my Jule Monique/Demeter rig (also for sale) & it sounds lovely.

Hard to explain just what a Smith sounds like but this clip gives you an idea (it's a different model & a 5 string but there is a real uniformity to that famous Smith sound from bass to bass):

The necks on Smiths are particularly nice and will take a very, very, low action if required. I can genuinely play things on this bass that I wouldn't attempt on almost all of my others (although I certainly can't play like Peanut Woods, lol).

Overall the Smith is in excellent condition. A few small marks on the lower rear but these would probably polish out if required. Front of the bass and fretboard look immaculate.

It comes with the original Smith hardcase and, sheepskin padded, leather strap.

Happy to ship anywhere in the UK or EU at cost. Payment via bank transfer or PayPal friends & family only.

Photos are borrowed from the trade deal but i can take more if required:

Smith1.thumb.jpeg.d662ae6f5fa3f9e73c77c143d4311a6e.jpeg

Smith3.thumb.jpeg.739e7fda22aeaf38486552eb377dde65.jpeg

2058326310_Smith2.thumb.jpeg.20a5c6aa6799e4c08a005f952b0a9ec9.jpeg

Smith4.thumb.jpeg.ba81ea37dd5fee3236cbd322ef52deab.jpeg

Smith 5.jpeg

Edited by molan
Removed duplicate picture
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ped said:

This video is my favourite way to show what a Smith sounds like. Some really tasty grooves

This is a lovely looking bass - and a cracking price!!!

Thanks Ped,

Great video - hadn't seen this one before!

I thought I'd try & price it to sell rather than endless bouts of haggling. I've seen these up around the £2,500 mark but it 'owes' me less than that so I thought I'd try and sell it at a fair price :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Still kicking myself for not buying @ped's Smith when I had the chance. This looks lovely Barrie and I do love a low action.

I would also be interested to know what the weight is like.

Hope you are well my friend. Speak soon.

My digital scales are inaccessible at the moment (buried in storage) but the previous owner estimated 4.1Kg which feels about right to me. It's certainly not a boat-anchor but, then again, it's super-light like a Ritter or Sadowsky.

Hope that helps a bit :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nathanpatoubass said:

Hi Molan

what s the weight of this bass please ? 
Is the original hardcase in good shape? 
franck 

Hi Franck,

See post above about weight.

Case (and strap) are excellent. Couple of small dings but it looks more like a 'house-bass' than anything that's been gigged.

Lusher than a lush thing, the Smiths from this time are superb.

I had a 6 string version from this same series (although mine was the reverse of the body woods, so quilt maple over walnut) and it played, as the Americans would say) like butter.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, molan said:

Thanks Ped,

Great video - hadn't seen this one before!

I thought I'd try & price it to sell rather than endless bouts of haggling. I've seen these up around the £2,500 mark but it 'owes' me less than that so I thought I'd try and sell it at a fair price :)

It is a very fair price...tick tock 😀

1 hour ago, molan said:

My digital scales are inaccessible at the moment (buried in storage) but the previous owner estimated 4.1Kg which feels about right to me. It's certainly not a boat-anchor but, then again, it's not super-light like a Ritter or Sadowsky.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Fixed - at least I think that's what you meant?

9lbs sounds very jolly reasonable. May need to sell something first though 😬

• ped locked this topic