Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

18 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

After me racking my brains on the black poles in pick up. I found that kloppman pick up poles are indeed black just like the ones in the 1980 p bass I tried. 

what is the price range for a mid to late 70’s fender p bass?

It’s a weird market. Some of the private sale prices on BC are higher than dealer prices with none of the benefits (new strings, ability to pay with a credit card, etc).

As a reference, Bass Bros had a lovely 1976 Precision, all original with the case for £2500. Given their mark up must be 20%, I’d wait it out and see what you can find for around £2k.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

It’s a weird market. Some of the private sale prices on BC are higher than dealer prices with none of the benefits (new strings, ability to pay with a credit card, etc).

As a reference, Bass Bros had a lovely 1976 Precision, all original with the case for £2500. Given their mark up must be 20%, I’d wait it out and see what you can find for around £2k.

The closest thing BassBros has now is a stripped finish '77 for £2099.

Andy Baxter has a '75 with replaced guard for £2995 - https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1975-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-2

Edited by ossyrocks

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Andy Baxter has a '75 with replaced guard for £2995 - https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1975-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-2

Thanks for info. It will be my first vintage bass. 

I actually saw the ash body on bass bro. It was a three piece natural finish. Tbh the three piece put me off. 

I played a mocha 77 ash body maple neck in wunjo’s in central london. It was out of this world. Problem is it’s 3.5k. 1k more than going price is a tad to much for my liking. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Very very nice. I’m after a maple neck. 

im sure this will go in a flash 

I’m working out how I might keep hold of it having just made a rather speedy purchase tonight, cheers Tony! It’s become one of my go to basses since got it, and I’ve only had it a few months. It’s only 8lbs 9oz with the covers off, so it’s a really comfy bass to play. The neck is a big round handful too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I’m working out how I might keep hold of it having just made a rather speedy purchase tonight, cheers Tony! It’s become one of my go to basses since got it, and I’ve only had it a few months. It’s only 8lbs 9oz with the covers off, so it’s a really comfy bass to play. The neck is a big round handful too. 

Oh. What did you pick up this evening? 

It’s a nice weight. For me the 70’s neck are the most comfortable for me. 

Just now, soulstar89 said:

Oh. What did you pick up this evening? 

It’s a nice weight. For me the 70’s neck are the most comfortable for me. 

That ‘73 Jazz Tony @Reggaebass pointed out at BassBros. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for, sunburst/tort/rosewood/blocks and original. Same year and configuration as my other vintage P bass. The price was right too. I just couldn’t not buy it. Now I have to think about paying for it! 

70’s B width P necks are just the business. I don’t like the wider nut, so I have no desire for the older vintage 60’s ones.

Good luck on the hunt.

Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Im not having a go at you, you’re absolutely free to charge whatever you wish.

The poster asked for advice and in my opinion, some of the values here are very high for average stuff. You really need to know what you’re buying…

On 26/07/2023 at 19:56, Velarian said:

The price doesn’t seem too bad for a ‘62. Is that down to the non-original case and strap buttons and general condition, or is there more to it than that? For example, does the difference between the dates of the pots, neck and serial number suggest that it may have been pieced together?

I also wondered about this…

also intrigued by the lack of metal underplate under the scratchplate. These were added in the very early 60s as far as i know.

This mysteriously showed up at my house yesterday? (Cheers for the heads up Tony!) I spent a little while last night tweaking it to my liking, a little truss rod adjustment, LaBella LTFs, saddle height and intonation, and pickup heights. It will need some new foams under the pickups (already ordered). But, by the end of it, I got the action low and it plays really well despite the original frets being fairly low by now. This bass has certainly lived a life and has all the marks to show it, but it’s a joy to me. It will be going with me to rehearsal tonight for its first outing.

1973 Jazz Bass.

Rob

43273C9D-0C03-4D0F-92F2-63B87A65ABFC.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

This mysteriously showed up at my house yesterday? (Cheers for the heads up Tony!) I spent a little while last night tweaking it to my liking, a little truss rod adjustment, LaBella LTFs, saddle height and intonation, and pickup heights. It will need some new foams under the pickups (already ordered). But, by the end of it, I got the action low and it plays really well despite the original frets being fairly low by now. This bass has certainly lived a life and has all the marks to show it, but it’s a joy to me. It will be going with me to rehearsal tonight for its first outing.

1973 Jazz Bass.

Rob

Nice score Rob, looks the business

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

1973 Jazz Bass.

Rob

it looks great, I think you got yourself a good one there Rob, congrats,

I hovered over will’s number a few times but I’m holding out for something else at the moment , nice one 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

1973 Jazz Bass.

Rob

The previous owner has just been in touch as a result my post! I’m quite pleased about that.

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

1973 Jazz Bass.

Rob

congrats!  I’m sure it will serve you well. 

You guys are making me crave my mid 70’s p bass even more lol 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

1973 Jazz Bass.

Rob

73 is a 73, tort is a tort, 3 color vintage sunberst is what it is. Lucky You !!! Cheers.

• Like 2

This is a picture of a mate of mine holding a 52 P bass outside where he works. Apparently, a guy came in and got talking about guitars and mentioned that he had a 52 precision in the car outside and did he want to have a look.  

We're trying to work out what it's worth... 

FB_IMG_1691489266069.thumb.jpg.9c9e68964a2a3775c8cbd3681036d2ad.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 11