Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

19 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

That was a decent price and well worth it, I am envious 😍

And a very decent seller, Mark, a pleasure to meet. I find it very difficult to resist a custom colour dot neck Jazz Bass a mile from my workplace. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That doesn’t happen very often, congrats Guy it’s lovely 👍, I was tempted myself 

Thanks very much. It’s a good one, too. Lighter than any of my others. I haven’t weighed it but it’s certainly below 9 pounds. Original frets, which is nice with the bound neck. Clean original case and ashtrays. Minor checking, but exactly the right type for CAR, close, straight parallel lines, which is reassuring, along with previous ownership from before they were worth faking to a forensic standard. Only minor issues, an extra screw hole under the scratchplate and the changed scratchplate itself.  No point in worrying about that as there is less than zero chance of getting an authentic replacement. A visit to Martin Petersen resulted in a straight neck, excellent playability and a happy customer.

To play, it has a full-ish neck for a JB, but still very comfortable, a full, bright vintage tone with exceptional harmonics.

I’m always on the lookout for another, of course. The same as everyone else here😀

HitQCrS.jpg

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, GuyR said:

Thanks very much. It’s a good one, too. Lighter than any of my others. I haven’t weighed it but it’s certainly below 9 pounds. Original frets, which is nice with the bound neck. Clean original case and ashtrays. Minor checking, but exactly the right type for CAR, close, straight parallel lines, which is reassuring, along with previous ownership from before they were worth faking to a forensic standard. Only minor issues, an extra screw hole under the scratchplate and the changed scratchplate itself.  No point in worrying about that as there is less than zero chance of getting an authentic replacement. A visit to Martin Petersen resulted in a straight neck, excellent playability and a happy customer.

To play, it has a full-ish neck for a JB, but still very comfortable, a full, bright vintage tone with exceptional harmonics.

I’m always on the lookout for another, of course. The same as everyone else here😀

HitQCrS.jpg

Is that a bass case lurking under the bed...

42 minutes ago, GuyR said:

HitQCrS.jpg

42 minutes ago, GuyR said:

HitQCrS.jpg

43 minutes ago, GuyR said:

HitQCrS.jpg

22 hours ago, GuyR said:

A visit to Martin Petersen resulted in a straight neck, excellent playability and a happy customer.

So the truss rod works fine then? That was the main thing that was putting me off...Think you still would've beat me to it though!

It's real looker 😍 Very jealous! I'm properly on the lookout for a CAR, LPB or Dakota Red 65 or 66 at the moment...Congrats on the purchase! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bakerster135 said:

So the truss rod works fine then? That was the main thing that was putting me off...Think you still would've beat me to it though!

It's real looker 😍 Very jealous! I'm properly on the lookout for a CAR, LPB or Dakota Red 65 or 66 at the moment...Congrats on the purchase! 

Thanks, I’m v pleased with it. The truss rod was a bit stiff initially regular price set up, with a fresh set of Hi Beams and all good to go. The truss rod was flush with the end of the neck so I was reasonably confident there would be plenty of space for adjustment, or at worst remedial work.

Andy Baxter had a very clean Dakota 66 when I last looked. I’d be very happy with any custom colour dot neck in original finish, assuming it’s a good player and not ridiculously priced.

53 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Nice to see such a beautiful selection of different years. Now tell us about the differences 🙂. Are they much different sounding? Is there a big variety in neck profiles? 

All different, but I think that’s more down to the variation between individual examples than any particular year-based changed features. 62 has the least substantial neck, but the most modern slightly dry sound 9 pounds ish. 64 very bright with loads of harmonics, good for Jaco type tone, slightly deeper neck, very low action attainable and very worn, so extremely comfortable and easy to play, 9 and a bit pounds. 65 has slightly fatter mid/low end sound, but still cuts through quite heavy just under 10lb, neck similar to the 64. 66 is very light, neck more substantial than the others but still very easy to play. I haven’t played it at any reasonable volume yet, but initial impressions again quite a zingy, bright but full sound. 64 is the one that gets picked up the most, but they all get very regular use and none lives in a case.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, briansbrew said:

Bit of a dilema guys, I have an early 70's Fretless precision and I am contemplating having it fretted, would this affect the resale value and is it worth doing. I dont play fretless that much so any feedback appreciated..

Anything that changes original condition will affect value. Except perhsps a refret.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodney72a said:

Great stuff. The '62 is a Blond? (Looks like it has a veneer board, so later '62; I suppose if it was Olympic White by then it would have a matching headstock.)

Its Oly white. Think it's an August neck stamp, so yes a curved board. V long time since it's been off.

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rodney72a said:

Great stuff. The '62 is a Blond? (Looks like it has a veneer board, so later '62; I suppose if it was Olympic White by then it would have a matching headstock.)

I thought matching headstocks were a custom option until the run in 1966 with the lollipop tuners. There’s tales of a few precision basses out there with a matching headstock too.

59 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I thought matching headstocks were a custom option until the run in 1966 with the lollipop tuners. There’s tales of a few precision basses out there with a matching headstock too.

Although definitely rarer, it was possible to get a custom colour JB without a matching headstock. My Fiesta Red 65 has a tort plate and non-painted headstock from factory, and I know Martin Petersen from the Bass Gallery has/had one with identical spec. I've also seen quite a few other examples pop up at reputable vintage Fender retailers.

On the PB with matching headstock front, I'm sure Norm's Rare Guitars had one on their YouTube channel a while ago...

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 1