Why become a member? ×

ASHDOWN AMPS and CABS

flatwound

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='437629' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:54 PM']I have played through a MAG 4x10 a few times. Still "woolly".[/quote]

Odd, I used my ABM 300 through a MAG 410 for a while and never found the sound to be woolly at all. Definite improvement in the sound though when I switched to the ABM though.

I suppose at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. I don't think many round here will disagree that they're workhorses and there are very few reliability issues, but when it comes to the sound it's really Marmite: You either love it or hate it. I personally have never really liked the Ampeg sound, and they're supposedly the Daddies of bass amplification, and integral to the "rock bass" sound.

I've got an ABM Classic head that I run with mini 4x8 & 1x15 (mini cabs due to my feeble back and lack of storage space) and I'm very happy with the sound. I use a P bass and I get the agressive bite that I want. I usually rehearse with just the 1x15 but gig with both cabs and it is brighter like that.

I find that I can sit in the overall live mix very well and when I on my own, doing an intro or just making a bloody annoying racket to p'off the guitard then it's very "out there".

Knobs and sliders? Don't bother me in the slightest. I quite like the oddness of having the both.

Overall, I love my Ashdown and am unlikely to change for some time to come. Oh and no reliability issues (touches wood, spits into the wind, sacrifices black cockrel etc etc).

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='437760' date='Mar 17 2009, 08:27 PM']I thinking about making a new one and covering it in a classic tweed, no idea why, but meh.[/quote]

I'd like to cover it in blue or green vinyl.

Also, I emailed on tuesday about replacement feet for their cabs, and had an email back the next day.

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='439479' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:49 PM']I don't know why the didn't get back to me onm the fan thing[/quote]

Maybe the email didn't go through? Might have been accidentally missed? I posted their number up there, at least you know the message has got through if you actually talk to someone...

I've kept quiet till now amazingly !

I love my ABM, have had nothing but Ashdown amps since I started playing. I have had lots of opportunity to play other amps, and whilst some of them sound better and clearer than the Ashdown gear alone, when i'm cranking it in a rock band - they can't compete. For me Ashdown make the ultimate rock amps, sure they can be used for other things, but they aren't meant to be clear or hi-fi.

Quality wise - this ABM has had the one fault, the valve drive stopped working. Took it to a tech and got it repaired for £40 (power suplpy to valve had failed). Other than that, none of my Ashdown gear has had any fault at all.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='443758' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:36 PM']I'm loving my chrome faced Ashdown RC 500 ABMII - it looks cool, sounds the bollocks and it's beautifully simple to use. Plenty loud enough too - I hope it doesn't break cos it's exactly what I need.[/quote]

+1 me too

I am wondering if the 'wooly' label is more to do with the style of playing certain people go for. Some players like a really tight clean somewhat clinical sound. Probably played on an active bass. I can't imagine an Ashdown would be ideal for this type of sound. Others prefer the more classic original bass sound than can be made to sound deeper or dirtier or brighter depending on their ideal tone. Maybe played more of a Fender style bass. An Ashdown I would imagine can create this sound pretty well.

Just a thought.