Zummerbass

Squier Precision 60’s CV FURTHER PRICE DROP-NOW £325.
£375
Wellington Somerset

Bought from Basschatter Marc S in Nov 2017. PJ mods, Entwhistle p/ups done under his ownership ( Dave Dearnley iirc). The work has been done to a very high standard. I’ve barely played it and gigged it twice.Playing my Jazz bass almost exclusively now but even so I think I may regret letting this one go. Excellent condition just a couple of minor scratches on rear of body. Usual Classic Vibe build quality,one of the darkest rosewood boards i’ve ever seen. Weight- just a smidge over 9lb/4kg. I’ll include the gig bag it came with. Collection preferred (i’m not far from M5  junction 26)but could do a meet up. 

E1911BE1-D4B6-4ABA-A02F-F7BE5AFFCA7E.jpeg

A2276C04-C93B-4897-A28A-40FBD2E19322.jpeg

A3BAE85B-6F2B-4A97-94A4-9CBA2FC2892D.jpeg

1DF8403C-A0B1-4FED-B79F-54DF26C6AEA0.jpeg

FC790271-E24A-4C43-AD17-E451EAB7E1D8.jpeg

974EC169-5F07-4B6B-8F0B-72F900C05A1C.jpeg

C6F7B779-790A-4DA5-97E6-29C52BD1C31D.jpeg

32FE3DEF-5589-4B71-ACA5-2945CF4DA851.jpeg

6E691E6E-10E8-4900-888A-C7EBE32B0DAA.jpeg

479BA043-939D-4CA6-9835-1AEEDF835E26.jpeg

Edited by Zummerbass
Price drop
  • Like 6

This looks class. Could you comment on the width at the nut, and then the depth of the neck at the first fret? I believe that these have a "60s C shape" - which I *think* would make this typical P width at the nut, but then slightly slimmer in profile? Thanks and best of luck with the sale.

Hi there, this looks like a lovely bass, can I repeat the same question re the neck width and thickness, is this the neck standard CV 60s? Thanks 

On 14/07/2020 at 19:17, Scoobs said:

Hi there, this looks like a lovely bass, can I repeat the same question re the neck width and thickness, is this the neck standard CV 60s? Thanks 

Hi, Zummerbass must have missed your questions @RaNoFuNkY & @Scoobs
I can confirm, this is indeed a standard 60's CV neck
Can't recall the exact dimensions, but it was near identical to a US Precision which had a "C" shape / profile neck.
It wasn't overly wide at the nut, and definitely on the shallower side in profile (front to back).

The neck on this is really comfortable to play - I'm not keen on necks that are wide and deep.
It's also glossy, but I didn't find it became "sticky" in warm conditions. Wish I could justify re-acquiring this bass - it's a beaut

Re neck size-I only have my Highway 1 P to compare to but I would say C shaped 41.5mm at nut. I haven’t got big hands but this is very comfy to play. The necks on these CV’s (I have a Jazz as well) are superb. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Such a shame it has that Jazz pup added.

Edited by pst62
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 13:28, pst62 said:

Such a shame it has that Jazz pup added.

Not a shame as far as I'm concerned, just makes it more versatile. 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Davy said:

Not a shame as far as I'm concerned, just makes it more versatile. 😉

Each to their own, been there, found the Jazz pup didn't sit well with the P at all.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pst62 said:

Each to their own, been there, found the Jazz pup didn't sit well with the P at all.

As the former owner of this bass, I can confirm that the Jazz pickup did indeed sit very well with the P pickup. You can add a bit of Jazz tone to suit your liking, or an individual song, and if you don't want any added Jazz tone on a song or in a set of songs...... simply dial it out. The Entwistle pickups on this bass are excellent, and the P pickup solo'ed loses nothing for having the J pickup behind it (I know because at the same time I owned this bass,  I had another Precision with just an Entwistle PBXN).

Yes, of course it's all down to personal preference - but the J pickup adds flexibility and gives the tonal palette a broader flavour IMO. I'm sure plenty of others would agree, after all the Fender Lyte and Aerodyne basses mostly had the same pickup arrangement, along with many other brands.

Back on topic - If I needed a P or P/J bass at the moment, I'd have this back in a heartbeat. (I'm sorely tempted tbh... but I'm thinning the herd)

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 3

I own a Squier Standard with the PJ configuration - gives more kick than a Jazz and more tone than a Precision. Not sure having more options can be a negative thing...

• Like 2

On 15/04/2021 at 13:53, pst62 said:

ins't it a good thing no one is forcing you to buy this bass then? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

ins't it a good thing no one is forcing you to buy this bass 

It certainly is Mr Witty. But I may well have been interested had it been in its original condition. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By musicbassman
      This is my Squier Vintage Modified five-string Jazz Bass. I bought this a couple of years ago to see if I wanted to change to a five string, but having played a four string bass for the last 50 years I have to accept I’m too old to change now !  I first advertised this on here just before lockdown but now there's possibly a light at the end of the Covid tunnel it's back up for sale.
      It dates from 2017, is all original and everything works perfectly. Strings were new on when I bought it (Rotosound medium gauge roundwounds) and as it’s only had very light home use they are still very bright. Pickups are loud and clean and there is a huge tone range on the instrument. It's a lot of bass for the money.
      The scratchplate shown was already fitted when it was purchased. There are a few minor marks and chips on the finish which are shown in the pics, these are cosmetic only and came with the bass when I bought it. Instrument comes with a hard case which is very solid and serviceable.
      You can arrange for this to be sent to you by courier if you wish, it's in a good solid case so should be fine, your responsibility to arrange this. Preferably the buyer collects from Chichester where I live or you could collect from London. (My son lives in London at Fulham and you can easily collect it from there by arrangement)
      Here’s the original sales information:
      Squier's five-string Vintage Modified Jazz Bass® V has a handsome white gloss finish, a soft maple body and one-piece maple neck with sharp-looking, elegant black binding and block inlays. Offering flexibility for today's modern styles that demand a deep low end, this bass offers superior sound and feel for the five-string bassist, with excellent Squier performance and value. Featuring a Soft maple body, Vintage-tint maple neck with “C”-shaped profile, 20-fret fingerboard with black binding and black block inlays, Dual Fender®-designed single-coil Jazz Bass pickups, Black pickguard, Five-string standard vintage-style bridge with single-groove saddles. The neck on this model sports a vintage-tinted gloss finish for a highly desirable aged look. This model has a slightly thinner "C"-shaped neck profile (the shape of the neck in cross section) than most models, providing a fast, smooth and comfortable fret-hand feel. These Fender-designed pickups are full of growling, authentic Fender tone.
      Body Shape: Jazz Bass
      Body: Soft Maple
      Body Finish: Polyester sharp-looking black binding and block inlays
      Body Shape: Jazz Bass®
      Neck: Maple, "C" Shape
      Weight: 10lbs approx

• By Slug Ice
      1 set of Duncan Designed Jazz Bass Pickups from a very early Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. 
      £25 Inc. UK postage. 

• By yourfurryfiend
      In very good condition, plays well. I find the pickups a little hot, in a good way.
      I prefer P/PJ basses so this doesn't get that much play, mostly sitting pretty on the wall hanger.
      Comes with a Fender Deluxe gig bag which the shop very kindly gave me, even though it should have been for a Mexican Fender (Wunjo, Denmark Street I believe).
      The bag is generally in a good condition.
      Will courier at buyer's expense.
      Body
          Body Material: Soft Maple
          Body Finish: Polyurethane
          Body Shape: Jazz Bass
      Neck
          Neck Material: Maple
          Neck Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss
          Neck Shape: "C" Shape
          Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
          Fingerboard: Maple
          Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
          Number of Frets: 20
          Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
          String Nut: Synthetic Bone
          Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)
          Position Inlays: Block

• By Sharkfinger
      Up for sale is my superb gigging PJ bass. I painstakingly built this up over a few years, trying out different combinations of bodies and pickups, centred around that superb Warmoth neck.
      Times they are a changin' and I’d like something shorter to practice with in my very small home office.
      This was superbly set up by Chris Ward of Bass Centre fame.  I even had him dress the fret ends.  It plays like an absolute dream and currently has an old set of GHS Pressurewounds that kinda sound like flats now.
      Will be sad to see it go.
      Here are the Specs:
      Neck: Warmoth USA
      Style:    Tele® Bass     Construction:    Super Bass Construction Scale:    34"     Orientation:    Right Handed     Neck Wood:    Roasted Maple Fingerboard Wood:    Indian Rosewood     Nut Width:    1-11/16"     Back Shape:    Slim Taper (about 21mm front-to-back at  nut) Stiffening Rods:    Graphite Rods  Fret Size:    6105     Tuner Ream:    Hipshot Ultra Lite (14mm)  Radius:    Straight 10"     Fret #:    21     Mounting Holes:    Standard 4 Bolt     Inlays:    Cream Face Dots     Side Dots:    White Side Dots     String Nut:    GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut  Finish: Tru-Oil (Gunstock Oil) finish (did this myself) Hipshot USA Ultralite Tuners Hipshot USA Ultralite Bass Xtender Hipshot String Retainer Body: Squier Affinity
      Original pickguard and bridge Copper shielding in pickup routes Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Pickup at neck Dimarzio UltraJazz (Split coil) at bridge.  Currently wired in series for high output, but you could put a toggle on the scratchplate for parallel. Kiogon wiring loom, with selector, vol, vol, tone. Weight of this bass is a very reasonable 3.75Kg.  There are a few minor scratches and a couple of dings here and there but nothing that jumps out.  Hit me up if you want close up pics of anything.
      Trade wise, I'm looking for a medium or short scale that's very light weight.  3.5Kg absolute maximum and preferably lighter. 
      Price is a firm £525 £450 plus delivery.  EDIT: That is the one and only price drop before being parted out.
      I estimate that insured, that will come out £40-50.  If you're local, you are welcome to look and try in a safe, socially distanced way, which probably means outside or in the garage.
      If this doesn't sell, I'd look to part it out but let's face it, no one wants that hassle and I've got at least 1 box I can use.  It would be such a shame to break this up, as it feels like these were meant to be together.
      Optionally, I can include the superb Mono M80 Case.  We'd have to work out a price for that.

• By horrorshowbass
      Purchased on reverb.
      Happy so far, fretboard was well used, gunky shall we say. Gave it a good clean and sanded the back of the neck a little and set up, plays well so far. Got for reduced price, now I know why! Seller was upfront to be fair. I'll give it a few weeks. These are beautiful basses, the white with maple neck and black pg is🤟
      Haven't fully played but nice to have active jazz for 250 quid!