Edenburgh

***SOLD*** Fender AVRI '74 Jazz Bass
£1100
Edinburgh

Posted (edited)

Hi all, up for sale goes my '74 AVRI Jazz, owned by me since new (2018)

I've really enjoyed owning and gigging this, but find myself always going back to my '74 P bass.

It's a curiosity too!    It came from the factory with the specification deviations to the standard AVRI spec as follows:

• Pickguard - Tort (should be black)
  • Thumb Rest - lower position (should be above the strings)
  • Neck plate - only stamped with Serial Number (should also be "F" stamped)
  • Sunburst pattern - brighter more like a 60's pattern (should be slightly 'darker' '70s pattern)

I have emails from Fender confirming that it was a genuine mis-build (see photos)

Everything else is exactly as a '74 AVRI should be; poly finish, 70's bridge pickup position, block markers, binding, fender stamped tuners, chunky U-shaped neck  (a big surprise for those normally used to super slim Jazz necks).   

In excellent condition but I have gigged this - it's not been hanging on the wall! , a bit of swirling on the finish, a tiny finish ding on the rear that won't photograph and a wee dink on the binding (pictured).  

Prefer to meet up rather than ship.    No trades but might consider a Stingray (Classics or Specials onlyimageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2).

For reference, I raised a thread about the curious spec at the time here: 

20200704_121429 (1).jpg

20200704_121225 (1).jpg

20200704_120523 (1).jpg

20200704_120446.jpg

20200704_120412 (1).jpg

20200704_121309 (1).jpg

20200704_121157.jpg

20200704_120534.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.23.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.23.19.png

Edited by Edenburgh
  • Like 1

Do you happen to know if the radius of the U Shape neck is 7.25" please. Thanks. Alan

1 hour ago, Alanbass said:

Do you happen to know if the radius of the U Shape neck is 7.25" please. Thanks. Alan

If you mean the fingerboard radius, then yes, it ought to be 7.25” (unless they messed that up too).

I have no idea what the fingerboard radius is but it feels quite 'round' which i think means a smaller radius.    The neck is definately correct for the '74.  

I had one of these and also the 75 reissue and I think these are much better guitars.  This looks lovely and I like the oddities! Here's the spec for a regular AVRI 74 - it is definitely a 7.25" spec...

Model Name:    American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass®,

Model Number:    191030800
Series:    American Vintage
Body Material:    Alder
Body Finish:    Urethane
Body Shape:    Jazz Bass®  
Neck Material:    Maple
Neck Finish:    Urethane
Neck Shape:    "U" Shape
Scale Length:    34" (864 mm)
Fingerboard:    Bound Round-Laminated Maple
Fingerboard Radius:    7.25" (184.1 mm)
Number of Frets:    20
Fret Size:    Vintage-Style
String Nut:    Bone
Nut Width:    1.475" (37.46 mm)
Position Inlays:    Pearloid Block
Truss Rods:    Vintage-Style Heel Adjust
Head Stock Binding:    White
Neck Plate:    4-Bolt Serialized 
Bridge Pickup:    American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass
Neck Pickup:    American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass
Controls:    Volume 1. (Middle Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
Pickup Configuration:    SS   
Bridge:    4-Saddle American Vintage Bass with Single-Groove Steel "Barrel" Saddles
Hardware Finish:    Nickel/Chrome
Tuning Machines:    Fender '70s Vintage-Style Stamped Open-Gear
Pickguard:    3-Ply Black
Control Knobs:    Black Plastic 
Strings:    Fender® USA Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)
Unique Features:    Mounted Chrome Pickup and "F" Bridge Cover with Vintage- Accurate Positioning, Upper-Mounted Thumb Rest, Four-Bolt "F" Neck Plate,  White Neck Binding with White Pearloid Block Position Inlays

• Thanks 1

So a 60s Jazz that looks like a 70s Jazz? That's cool.

Wonder if it has the 60s pup spacing. 

25 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

So a 60s Jazz that looks like a 70s Jazz? That's cool.

Wonder if it has the 60s pup spacing. 

Pup spacing is 70s.   I've toyed with getting some lollipop tuners to further confuse the spec!

She’s a beauty, mate. Glwts - it’s fair to say I’ve got enough basses at the moment but I am tempted as this is a beautiful twin to the fretless I’ve built (as you know). 

AB18EB63-0BF9-4D39-AD90-CF45C4DAC0DE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Bumpity bump.    I do need to move this on so I'm open to serious/sensible cash offers.   

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Martinobrien70
      I am selling this absolute peach of a bass, I have owned this since new in December 2017 purchased from GAK in Brighton(receipt attached )
      This really is in as new mint condition including all of the original parts, strap, cable and paperwork all in unused condition.
      It is currently strung with Dunlop superbrights, there is also a set of new Fender flat wounds included.
      This has never left the home and been very well looked after, the actions is lovely and the neck plays well, I am only moving this on to fund another purchase.
      They no longer make this model and they are hard to come by.
      This is a great bass with that fender growl you would come to expect.
      I have more pictures if you want them DM me
      Any questions please get in touch 
      Here is what Fender say
      The American Vintage Series
      The American Vintage series introduces an all-new lineup of original-era model year guitars and basses. Take a trip through Fender history and heritage with these incredibly authentic guitars. The American Vintage series has a range of different years, spanning the mid-50s to mid-60s, all boasting key features and pivotal design elements from their years. The American Vintage series instruments provides expert preservation of an innovative U.S. guitar-making legacy, showing how Fender not only knows where it's going, but also remembers where it came from.
      The new American Vintage Series takes a cleared slate approach with new features, new specs and the most meticulous level of vintage accuracy yet - a complete and comprehensive re-imagination of the entire vintage-reissue concept that'll just astound you with its detail. Restoring original tooling dies, voicing new pickups, reformulating vintage colours and more. Their work based on actual vintage guitars and basses they tracked down.
      American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass, 3-Color Sunburst
      The American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass incorporates the significant changes that were brought to the Jazz Bass in 1974. Only the year before had the bridge pickup been moved about half an inch closer to the bridge. Furthermore, 1974 saw the last of the four-bolt necks for quite a while. The bass guitar's slim "C"-shaped maple neck was re-sculpted with a meatier U-shaped profile (and acquired a walnut "skunk" stripe). White fingerboard binding and pearl block inlays made their first appearance, the longstanding tortoiseshell predecessors were replaced by black pickguards. The American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass also has white binding, pearl block inlays and 20 vintage-style frets. This Jazz Bass comes in a 3-Colour Sunburst colour.
      Additional Features
      This bass's other authentic features include its urethane-finished alder body three-ply black/white/black pickguard (three-ply white/black/white on Black model), new American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass single-coil pickups, upper-mounted thumb rest, '70s-style "Fender"-stamped open-gear tuners, vintage-style bridge with single-groove steel "barrel" saddles, four-bolt "F"-stamped neck plate, chrome pickup and "F"-stamped bridge covers with vintage-accurate positioning, and more.
      Features
      Equipped with two American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass pickups for an authentic tone
      Alder body with a 3-colour sunburst finish
      Thicker neck with "U"-shaped profile for added comfort
      Maple and round-laminated rosewood fingerboards with white binding and pearl block inlays
      Specially voiced pickups with period-correct bridge pickup positioning
      Upper-mounted thumb rest for improved comfort
      Vintage-style "Fender"-stamped tuners and neck plate
      Chrome pickup and “F”-stamped bridge covers with period-correct positioning
      Includes Vintage Black hardcase with orange interior
      Real bone nut enhances resonance and sustain
      Specifications
      Body & Bridge:
      Body Shape: Jazz Bass
      Body Material: Alder
      Bridge: American Vintage Single-Groove Steel 'Barrel' Saddles
      Finish: Three Color Sunburst
      Neck & Fingerboard:
      Neck Shape: 'U'-Shape
      Neck Material: Maple
      Fingerboard: Round-Laminated Rosewood
      Fret size: Vintage-Style
      Radius: 7.25"
      Scale Length: 34"
      String Nut: Bone
      Nut Width: 1.475"
      Inlays: White Pearloid
      Truss Rod: Vintage-Style Heel Adjust
      Electronics & Hardware:
      Bridge Pickup: American Vintage Single-Coil '74 Jazz Bass
      Middle Pickup: American Vintage Single-Coil '74 Jazz Bass
      Controls:Volume 1 (Neck Pickup), Volume 2 (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
      Control Knobs: Black Plastic
      Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
      Tuning Machines: American Vintage '70s Fender Stamped Open-Gear
      Strings: Fender USA 7250M, NPS, (.045, .065, .085, .105 Guages)
      Pickup and Bridge Covers: Mounted Chrome with Vintage Accurate Positioning

• By paddybass
      Bought from a BC'er about 3 years ago but not used much so I am moving it on. 
      A beautiful funk machine refinished in Aztec Gold. I haven't got the original listing details but I remember it is a 90's Japan body refinished by Dave Wilson.
      I have replaced the PU's with Ironstone but will include the PU's that came with it (which sounded pretty good) although I don't know the brand:  
      The Ironstone Jazz Bass pickups are Ironstone’s first Bass pickup design. They feature classic 7.3K bridge and 7.1K Ohm neck resistances for rich, but crisp vintage tones. The classic construction also includes: Alnico V vintage tone magnets Fibre flat work bobbins Waxed cloth connecting cable The Jazz Bass pickups are available as individual bridge, or neck, as well as a set. The set only, is also available in a rugged foam-lined presentation case (see photos). A comprehensive mounting kit accompanies all purchases.
      I also had the bridge reset slightly and cleaned up the neck which is silky smooth.
      The neck itself is an Allparts licensed model with Rosewood board and Walnut facing on the headstock. (Apparently cost about £400 itself)
      I am including a Spider hard case in the sale which has served me well and still does the job.
      Strung with Bass Center Stadium Elites 40-100.
      Something a little different and sounds as good as it looks. 

Bad bits:
      Some belt rash on the back, a paint chip to the body near the truss rod adjuster and another chip by the jack input. 
      Some slight smudges to the varnish on the headstock and some wear marks on back of headstock.
      All these can be seen in the pictures and the Bass is priced accordingly, just trying to be honest. 
      Pickup and try out welcome in Poole once lockdown is over. 
      Can courier at cost in a box or meet up somewhere. 
      Thanks