Edenburgh

***SOLD*** Fender AVRI '74 Jazz Bass
£1100
Edinburgh

Posted (edited)

Hi all, up for sale goes my '74 AVRI Jazz, owned by me since new (2018)

I've really enjoyed owning and gigging this, but find myself always going back to my '74 P bass.

It's a curiosity too!    It came from the factory with the specification deviations to the standard AVRI spec as follows:

• Pickguard - Tort (should be black)
  • Thumb Rest - lower position (should be above the strings)
  • Neck plate - only stamped with Serial Number (should also be "F" stamped)
  • Sunburst pattern - brighter more like a 60's pattern (should be slightly 'darker' '70s pattern)

I have emails from Fender confirming that it was a genuine mis-build (see photos)

Everything else is exactly as a '74 AVRI should be; poly finish, 70's bridge pickup position, block markers, binding, fender stamped tuners, chunky U-shaped neck  (a big surprise for those normally used to super slim Jazz necks).   

In excellent condition but I have gigged this - it's not been hanging on the wall! , a bit of swirling on the finish, a tiny finish ding on the rear that won't photograph and a wee dink on the binding (pictured).  

Prefer to meet up rather than ship.    No trades but might consider a Stingray (Classics or Specials onlyimageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2).

For reference, I raised a thread about the curious spec at the time here: 

20200704_121429 (1).jpg

20200704_121225 (1).jpg

20200704_120523 (1).jpg

20200704_120446.jpg

20200704_120412 (1).jpg

20200704_121309 (1).jpg

20200704_121157.jpg

20200704_120534.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.23.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.23.19.png

Edited by Edenburgh
  • Like 1

Do you happen to know if the radius of the U Shape neck is 7.25" please. Thanks. Alan

1 hour ago, Alanbass said:

Do you happen to know if the radius of the U Shape neck is 7.25" please. Thanks. Alan

If you mean the fingerboard radius, then yes, it ought to be 7.25” (unless they messed that up too).

I have no idea what the fingerboard radius is but it feels quite 'round' which i think means a smaller radius.    The neck is definately correct for the '74.  

I had one of these and also the 75 reissue and I think these are much better guitars.  This looks lovely and I like the oddities! Here's the spec for a regular AVRI 74 - it is definitely a 7.25" spec...

Model Name:    American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass®,

Model Number:    191030800
Series:    American Vintage
Body Material:    Alder
Body Finish:    Urethane
Body Shape:    Jazz Bass®  
Neck Material:    Maple
Neck Finish:    Urethane
Neck Shape:    "U" Shape
Scale Length:    34" (864 mm)
Fingerboard:    Bound Round-Laminated Maple
Fingerboard Radius:    7.25" (184.1 mm)
Number of Frets:    20
Fret Size:    Vintage-Style
String Nut:    Bone
Nut Width:    1.475" (37.46 mm)
Position Inlays:    Pearloid Block
Truss Rods:    Vintage-Style Heel Adjust
Head Stock Binding:    White
Neck Plate:    4-Bolt Serialized 
Bridge Pickup:    American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass
Neck Pickup:    American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass
Controls:    Volume 1. (Middle Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
Pickup Configuration:    SS   
Bridge:    4-Saddle American Vintage Bass with Single-Groove Steel "Barrel" Saddles
Hardware Finish:    Nickel/Chrome
Tuning Machines:    Fender '70s Vintage-Style Stamped Open-Gear
Pickguard:    3-Ply Black
Control Knobs:    Black Plastic 
Strings:    Fender® USA Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)
Unique Features:    Mounted Chrome Pickup and "F" Bridge Cover with Vintage- Accurate Positioning, Upper-Mounted Thumb Rest, Four-Bolt "F" Neck Plate,  White Neck Binding with White Pearloid Block Position Inlays

• Thanks 1

So a 60s Jazz that looks like a 70s Jazz? That's cool.

Wonder if it has the 60s pup spacing. 

25 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

So a 60s Jazz that looks like a 70s Jazz? That's cool.

Wonder if it has the 60s pup spacing. 

Pup spacing is 70s.   I've toyed with getting some lollipop tuners to further confuse the spec!

She’s a beauty, mate. Glwts - it’s fair to say I’ve got enough basses at the moment but I am tempted as this is a beautiful twin to the fretless I’ve built (as you know). 

AB18EB63-0BF9-4D39-AD90-CF45C4DAC0DE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Bumpity bump.    I do need to move this on so I'm open to serious/sensible cash offers.   

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chienmortbb
      These were fitted to my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass but as I was having trouble with my shoulder I shelled out for some Gotoh Resolites for the Aerodyne . These  are often described as Smoke Chrome, or Cosmo Black and look great on the bass. They have been identified by @Bassassin as Gotoh GB10s. The tuners will be nicely packed in the Gotoh Packaging pictured (and more). All the fittings are included as can be seen in the puictures. Here are a few scratches as can be seen in the photos but they are in good conditiion for there age and use. As far as I know there are differences between USA, Mexican and Japanese Fenders so please check before you buy. I will of course answer any question and will put some dimensions.

on later.

• By adamg67
      Now On Hold
      Great condition Maruszczyk Elwood 5a
      Ash body in Red Satin finish with matching headstock
      34" scale
      19mm string spacing
      4.45kg weight
      Angled headstock
      21 Frets plus zero fret
      Rosewood fingerboard with blocks & binding,
      Häussel JJ pickups
      Delano 2-band active preamp
      Volume and blend
      Passive mode on push-pull pot
      Wearing nearly new D'Addario XT strings
      Schaller strap lock buttons fitted, originals included
      Really nice looking, sounding and playing bass, and a reluctant sale, but I've had some wrist problems that make 5 strings a bit harder to play. I've already got it's replacement - an Elwood (Hellwood in fact) 4 string with the same pickups, I really like the sound of them.
      Condition is really good, I've checked it over for anything at all and all I could find was a small mark on the back where the finish has gone shiny and tiny ding in the headstock so small it was hard to photograph. There are some scratches on the scratchplate (makes sense ) and a few on the control plate but you have to get it in the right light to see them. I've done some photos of those, and other than that it's perfect.
      I can throw in a Maruszczyk gig bag, I do have a hard case but I'd need to replace it so that would be £30 extra. It's a good case, hardly used and deep enough for the angled headstock.
      I'd prefer collection or a meet up half way thing, but I can arrange a courier and pack it up properly (it would be packed better than the couriers advise) and send it insured for whatever that costs if really needed, that will probably be about £30 on top.
      Now £750, I might be up for trades but there aren't lots of things I'm after. One is a Sandberg Forty Eight in black with creme strips and matching headstock. If also consider a Fender P or Jazz, that is right in the middle of their respective sounds, as I've never owned either only other people's version of.
      You can get slightly bigger pics by clicking on the ones below.

• By skb558
      For Sale: American Professional P-Bass. £995 shipped.
      Bought about 6 months ago with a view to getting it de-fretted. 
      Excellent condition. Has not been played since I got it other than to check everything was as expected. Had very little use from the look of it. Comes with OHSC and certificate of authentication. 
       Series: American Pro
      Body Material: Alder
      Body Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
      Neck: Maple, “1963 C”
      Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” (241 mm)
      Frets: 20, Narrow Tall
      Position Inlays: White Dot (Rosewood)
      Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.625” (41.3 mm)
      Tuning Machines: Fender Lightweight Vintage-Style Keys with Tapered Shafts
      Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
      Bridge: 4-Saddle HiMass™ Vintage (String-Through-Body or Topload)
      Pickguard: 3-Tortoiseshell
      Pickups: V-Mod Split Single-Coil
      Pickup Switching: NA
      Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
      Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
      Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome

• By BrunoBass
      I’m moving on my MIM Fender Precision Bass. It’s a 2005/6 model according to the serial number and is totally stock. It’s in excellent condition. Never gigged, only ever used at home. It’s in my way as I’m not playing much these days. 
      Nice satin neck, nut width is approximately 42mm and it’s a nice chunky profile. On my bathroom scales it’s 4kg dead. The white scratch plate has aged nicely to a kind of faded parchment and the dark blue slightly metallic paint is spotless. 
      No gig bag but I do have a sturdy bass box that a Squier came in for transporting. I’d rather meet up, not keen on sending. I’m centrally located (I live about a mile from M40 J11) but am often in the Midlands and northern Home Counties. I’m happy for you to arrange your own courier if you prefer and I’ll pack it well in said box. 

• By dazaudio
      Sadly selling a few basses.
      I got this P-Bass in mid 2017. Only been used a few times at home. In excellent condition with original hard case.
      Sounds and feels great!
      Let me know if you have any questions.