Why become a member? ×

Quiz Time IT'S OVER

The Bass Doc

The correct answer is Vox Symphonic 1962. I realise that most of you knew that but were too busy having fun with some offbeat comments so I have decided everybody gets the prize which is the attached copy of a photograph entitled "When Leo met Howie"
[attachment=22161:IMG_0002.jpg]

This was taken in June 1979 - that's me when I had something resembling a hairline and a waistline - all gawn now.

And in case you're wondering, yes I did get his autograph (it looks a lot like the headstock logo) but that cannot be part of the prize.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='436995' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:41 AM']Nice piece of history there, Doc. I assume you still have the bass?[/quote]

The bass in the picture was already in Leo's workshop - the one I owned at the time was a 78 Sunburst Stingray and I got his autograph on the owners manual - still have it. Unfortunately sometime after the visit I fell on hard times and had to sell the bass to a friend but on the basis I could have first option back. When he later got in touch it was to say the bass had been stolen - I'll always regret parting with it as it was my 'ticket' to meeting Leo having won the competion by buying the bass in the first place.

In the 'not many people know this' category the first batch of Stingrays were issued with tapewound strings

Edited by The Bass Doc

A typical Saturday afternoon in Howie's workshop.

"Whey man Howie, a think me pick-ups fooked. Any chance ya can whip it oot and put us a Dimarzio in mate? An while yis on can yu tweak the action a midge's coz am gettin a bit o rattle at the dusty end... an' can ya dee it noo while a wait like?"

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=22161"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=22161[/url]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='437998' date='Mar 18 2009, 08:31 AM']How did you know Leo spoke like that?[/quote]

Only a Geordie would keep one hand in his back pocket where his wallet was. :)

Edited by warwickhunt

• 10 months later...

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='436722' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:25 PM']The correct answer is Vox Symphonic 1962. I realise that most of you knew that but were too busy having fun with some offbeat comments so I have decided everybody gets the prize which is the attached copy of a photograph entitled "When Leo met Howie"
[attachment=22161:IMG_0002.jpg]

This was taken in June 1979 - that's me when I had something resembling a hairline and a waistline - all gawn now.

And in case you're wondering, yes I did get his autograph (it looks a lot like the headstock logo) but that cannot be part of the prize.[/quote]

Oh I LOVE this photo!

"See Howie, this is where I should have put the bloody pickup in the first place!"

:)