Why become a member? ×

Nick Beggs, playing a track from Steven Wilson’s new album.

ambient

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Thanks for sharing this. What a nice guy, and what a great player too. 

I feel a bit out of the loop not knowing who Steve Wilson is. 

In the words of Turner Hall: He's the most successful British artist you've never heard of.

https://turnerhall.co.uk/2017/09/12/the-most-successful-british-artist-youve-never-heard-of/

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/aug/24/steven-wilson-the-prog-rocker-topping-the-charts-without-anyone-noticing

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

Thanks for sharing this. What a nice guy, and what a great player too. 

I feel a bit out of the loop not knowing who Steve Wilson is. 

His previous band was Porcupine Tree, with Richard Barbieri, Colin Edwin and Gavin Harrison.

He’s half of the duo No-man with Tim Bowness.

He’s done some lovely stuff minimal drony stuff as Bass Communion.

He was briefly in Rain, tree crow with Mick Kahn, Richard Barbieri and Steve Jensen.

Half of the duo Blackfield.

He’s had his own band now for about ten years, featuring some amazing players. Nick has been in from the start, as has Adam Holzman who played with Miles Davis at one point.

He’s also remixed and produced for dozens of artists.

I think he has been referred to as a best kept secret, but he’s had quite a bit of success, especially in the past 5 years or so, with sell out nights at RAH.

• Like 1

Steven Wilson has also played with Mick Karn  (not Kahn @ambient ) on the Bestial Cluster album.

He's also known as the barefoot player. 😉 

His music is often described as depressive by the press, but as he said when performing live, there must be loads of depressed people around as his concerts are always crowded if not sold out...

He's also a gifted sound wizard having remastered more albums than most sound engineers, including King Crimson's ones.

Yes, the British best kept secret indeed, must be 001 in fact. 😎 

Check this out with former Japan members, the JBK project :

And watch his feet...

Edited by Hellzero
Steven Wilson instead of "he"...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Thank you, I will sample some of his work. 

He’s got a massive back catalogue. For the rockier stuff there’s later Porcupine Tree, particularly Fear of a blank planet and Deadwing.

For more pop orientated music listen to his work in No-man, especially Schoolyard ghosts and Together we're stranger.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jellyfish said:

Looking forward to the new Steven Wilson album - Nick's Spector has always sounded monstrous. This track is one of my favourites for the bass alone:

I think you shared that on another thread recently? You’re absolutely right, that bass with that sound is perfect. A brilliant track.

Thats Marco Minnemann  of the Aristocrats  (  English chap Guthrie Govan ,  and American Brian Beller )  and Dream Theatre among many others

Amazing drummist

Beggs is a trooper, fab bass and all round nice blokey

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Drummer is amazing!

SW does surround himself with stellar players. The drumming on the To The Bone album is stunning: Jeremy Stacey and Craig Blundell. Craig (an ex-marine) played on the TTB tour and was on the Beeb’s recent drumming series.

I found this documentary very interesting...

• Like 2