Why become a member? ×

Beedster's newbie Precision

Beedster

Well, I fell in love with brunette Danni 'cos she had that 70's mojo, and I fell in love with blonde Kylie 'cos she had the Jazz PUP at the neck making her a bit more versatile, but for ages now I've been trying to find a kind of hybrid Danni/Kylie.

Danni and Kylie photographed round at Beedster's place earlier this year

Now I've found her (Danni and Kylie's mum as Bass Ferret correctly descibed her the other day). '73 Precision mongrel, JPUP right up close to the bridge, 3t sunburst finish completely worn away in places, meaning that she's got some solid playing hours behind her. Not given her a real workout yet as she came strung with rather worn rounds. Gonna clean her up and put on some D'addario flats tonight and see what she can do.

Danni and Kylie's mum photographed after arriving chez Beedster last night

Cheers chaps, the bass cost £795, which I think makes it neither a bargain or a rip off, in fact, having just spent 60 mins playing it with a set of fat flats, it's sounding more and more like a bargain. It came up BIN on ebay on Friday and I simply pressed 'BUY NOW' without too much procrastination. I'd been looking for a vintage P/J for a long time and was thinking about buying an early 70's Precision and adding the J-PUP, and by doing so accepting that the moment the J-PUP was in the bass would have lost value! More significantly though, there's something about the fact that the J-PUP on this was added long enough ago for the finish to have worn away where the player's thumb rests just above it (the previous owner bought it in the mid 80's and that PUP was already installed). To be honest, despite my best efforts so far, the intonation isn't great, something the age of the bass and heavy flats don't help for sure, but I'm not sure if I want to put a BADASS on, certainly not just yet. IMO a BADASS certainly improves intonation and clarity, but I think it also takes a little away from the characteristic sound of an old bass (it doesn't add much to the mojo either). I'm gonna do a couple of rehearsals and A-B it against my MIJ Precision on which I'm gonna install a BADASS to see how it cuts through.
Have to say though, this has been my dream bass for a while now and it is just amazing to have it sitting in my living room. I'm pretty fortunate also in that I have a Modulus Flea that, strung with extremely light rounds, provides a perfect counterpoint sound-, feel and image-wise to the Precision. Couldn't ask for much more really.
I think the Precision could do with a polish, anyone got any idea what's going to be best to clean it up with?
Cheers
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='45460' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:02 PM']Cheers chaps, the bass cost £795,

I think the Precision could do with a polish, anyone got any idea what's going to be best to clean it up with?
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Wow Chris that looks abso fabbo ... Love the extra holes and scars ...
Fair price. I'd say.
Don't clean it .. You'll clean off the mojo :)

Well done Chris - that's an absolute cracker!
:)
Polish?
Try 'Fender Meguiars Guitar Color Restorer Cream Polish'
This guy in the US is a good place to get it from: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Meguiars-Guitar-Color-Restorer-Cream-Polish-New_W0QQitemZ130139447866QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47077QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Meguiars-Guit...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[i]And no - don't put a Badass bridge on it![/i]

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='45360' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:15 PM']aah man i always liked danni[/quote]
Have to agree with that about Danni, but Chris, this new bass really does have the 'mojo'!! Congratulations!

Still on for the naming ceremony on Saturday?? Beer not champagne I hasten to add...

Nik

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='46166' date='Aug 16 2007, 02:54 AM']Alright there Chris. Beautiful buy!

According to Wikipedia, Kylie and Danni Minogue's mum is called Carol. Contender for the name? :huh:[/quote]

Ha ha, nice one, Carol it is, cheers Froilan. Can't wait to play her through the Trace head I bought from you (which I might add was every bit as good as you said it would be). Played it against my other Precisions last night. The power output was noticebly lower, which at first I was a little concerned about, but after a while I realised I can get some far more earthy/gravelly tones out of it than out of the more recent basses. Fair to say that Carol sounds pretty much how she looks. I wonder if Kylie's mum has a 60 a day habit. Wonder if she smokes as well :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='46252' date='Aug 16 2007, 10:15 AM']Ha ha, nice one, Carol it is, cheers Froilan. Can't wait to play her through the Trace head I bought from you (which I might add was every bit as good as you said it would be). Played it against my other Precisions last night. The power output was noticebly lower, which at first I was a little concerned about, but after a while I realised I can get some far more earthy/gravelly tones out of it than out of the more recent basses. Fair to say that Carol sounds pretty much how she looks. I wonder if Kylie's mum has a 60 a day habit. Wonder if she smokes as well :)
Chris[/quote]

Hey... glad to took up the suggestion. But slightly gutted I won't be seeing you tomorrow with her and my ol' Trace in action. As I said before, that amp was made for Precisions! Maybe I'll see you with them at the next bash.

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='47084' date='Aug 18 2007, 10:17 AM']Great score, Beedster!

I saw that when it popped up and thought that is was a decent deal... it looks lovely.

Badass? Nah...[/quote]

Cheers WOT
Glad you didn't buy it first! Been eyeing your lot jealously for some time, think my bewbie would fit in quite well!
You're right about the BADASS
Chris