Why become a member? ×

The most interesting interview with a bassist ..

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='425394' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:24 PM']I've got Dupree's Paradise from Make a Jazz Noise Here blastin on the stereo right now. Simply delicious. Like Chris Squire on crack.[/quote]

I've got it crankin in my studio now, playing along and learning it, what a buzz! The horn section is absolutely cracking! Much preferring the pick sound, fingersound don't cut it. Got the skankin chorus sound going - oh the joy of the POD X3 Live :)

If you've not heard this number, here it is.

Sorry Frank, sorry Scott, I know this is naughty and the mods should remove it if it's dodgy ..

Edited by silddx

[quote name='ARGH' post='425332' date='Mar 4 2009, 05:35 PM']No,he says it how it is,and always will be...[/quote]

No ARGH, he says how it is to HIM...

...and obviously you agree with that.

For a few people it becomes reality... ...for a while... ...mostly through luck and by not being an asshole to work with (at least to begin with).

Sorry,have it all.....have the lot,then have it taken from you...Luck does not exist,we know a 1000 guys that can blow us out of the water,but dont get the light.....its about being happy on the ladder,Scott is right about so much,pretty much all at that moment in time,its only in the last few years..say..4-5 that we really started shrugging the 'Failed guitarist' tag off...Bassists being common leaders rather than the few and far betweens..yes there are a few each decade from Sting,to Macca..or whoever...even Lemmy. Playing with the idea of what the instrument is capable of (ERBs..)...rather than what people,musicians or otherwise expect.

He's just one of those people that is a hell of a lot smarter than you,and everyone else...and thats the problem. He's f***ing good,and everyone knows it,and he is confident or at the time was!...There is nothing wrong with being good,some people have problems with that..the 'being good'. Im good,I know it,but I also know theres a few that can send me packing on here Bilbo,OuttoplayJazz,maybe you...but for what I do..Im very good.

"It isnt arrogance if you can back it up..."

As one late Bipolar drug user once stated.....another bassist that couldnt get a gig. Difference is??

-----------------------------------

The points on education..the simple pay and be praised ethic in music colleges,in the UK..has come true,wander around a 'modern' music school area..its saturated with bullshit and clones and bad taste musicians,thats not opinion,its fact. Thats why I still think a working band would take the guy with 3 years of grafted club/pub playing and ratty gear over the guy fresh out of school with the 5 string and hi-fi setup.

A dose of reality after all the ego massage helps ..no? hense "Get a REAL job"

----------------------------------
The Zappa band he was with,were talented,but ultimately jealous musicians.....Who's ever given the bassist,and bassist only carte-blanche..Zappa,the guy annoyed the guitards,by doing whay pretty much all guitards hate...by f***ing with structure.Some ,as he clearly states...dont see this as doing his job,as a traditional role...they 'thought' like most.."This is what a Bassplayer should do!!".

But Frank didnt want him to do that....and Frank was in charge.

Wictors a sycophantic writer at best,his pieces for Bassplayer in the 90s were fun,but always 'pedestalic',looking for the shock horror rather than music sometimes, and that interview was a looooong time ago.
-------------------
Music is a sh*t business...always was,always will be,Scott,like Berlin says it so clearly,it hurts,some people cant take that.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='425677' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:42 AM']Scott is right about so much,pretty much all at that moment in time,its only in the last few years..say..4-5 that we really started shrugging the 'Failed guitarist' tag off...Bassists being common leaders rather than the few and far betweens..yes there are a few each decade from Sting,to Macca..or whoever...even Lemmy. Playing with the idea of what the instrument is capable of (ERBs..)...rather than what people,musicians or otherwise expect.[/quote]

Did you read the same article as me? :)

He doesn't seem pro-bass at all, only pro-music - and only music he likes!

Don't take him as a pro-bass hero 'cos he clearly states in the interview that anyone who sees him that way is an idiot who doesn't know anything.

I still agree with some of the things he says though (about the business and music education).

[quote name='ARGH' post='425677' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:42 AM']Sorry,have it all.....have the lot,then have it taken from you...Luck does not exist,we know a 1000 guys that can blow us out of the water,but dont get the light.....its about being happy on the ladder,Scott is right about so much,pretty much all at that moment in time,its only in the last few years..say..4-5 that we really started shrugging the 'Failed guitarist' tag off...Bassists being common leaders rather than the few and far betweens..yes there are a few each decade from Sting,to Macca..or whoever...even Lemmy. Playing with the idea of what the instrument is capable of (ERBs..)...rather than what people,musicians or otherwise expect.

He's just one of those people that is a hell of a lot smarter than you,and everyone else...and thats the problem. He's f***ing good,and everyone knows it,and he is confident or at the time was!...There is nothing wrong with being good,some people have problems with that..the 'being good'. Im good,I know it,but I also know theres a few that can send me packing on here Bilbo,OuttoplayJazz,maybe you...but for what I do..Im very good.

"It isnt arrogance if you can back it up..."

As one late Bipolar drug user once stated.....another bassist that couldnt get a gig. Difference is??

-----------------------------------

The points on education..the simple pay and be praised ethic in music colleges,in the UK..has come true,wander around a 'modern' music school area..its saturated with bullshit and clones and bad taste musicians,thats not opinion,its fact. Thats why I still think a working band would take the guy with 3 years of grafted club/pub playing and ratty gear over the guy fresh out of school with the 5 string and hi-fi setup.

A dose of reality after all the ego massage helps ..no? hense "Get a REAL job"

----------------------------------
The Zappa band he was with,were talented,but ultimately jealous musicians.....Who's ever given the bassist,and bassist only carte-blanche..Zappa,the guy annoyed the guitards,by doing whay pretty much all guitards hate...by f***ing with structure.Some ,as he clearly states...dont see this as doing his job,as a traditional role...they 'thought' like most.."This is what a Bassplayer should do!!".

But Frank didnt want him to do that....and Frank was in charge.

Wictors a sycophantic writer at best,his pieces for Bassplayer in the 90s were fun,but always 'pedestalic',looking for the shock horror rather than music sometimes, and that interview was a looooong time ago.
-------------------
Music is a sh*t business...always was,always will be,Scott,like Berlin says it so clearly,it hurts,some people cant take that.[/quote]

Are you going off on one again?

[quote name='ARGH' post='425748' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:21 AM']No,but reread the interview,and put yourself in the mans shoes,at that point in time....

We all hate playing somedays.[/quote]
I can't because I don't really identify with his attitude and "hate" is a very strong word. But I can understand how he might get there, its probably born out of low self esteem and a fear of failure. The guy just needs to get off his high horse and appreciate what he has.

'fraid he comes across as a bit of a fruit-cake to me.

Doesn't matter how good you are, or [i]think[/i] you are, if no-one will work with you it means jack-sh*t.

FWIW my good friend and colleague, Mick Rogers, played bass for Frank Z for one show (mid 70s) when Tom Fowler couldn't make it. Had to busk a 2 1/2 hour Frank Zappa set :)

Steve

[quote name='SteveK' post='425942' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:21 AM']'fraid he comes across as a bit of a fruit-cake to me.

Doesn't matter how good you are, or [i]think[/i] you are, if no-one will work with you it means jack-sh*t.

FWIW my good friend and colleague, Mick Rogers, played bass for Frank Z for one show (mid 70s) when Tom Fowler couldn't make it. Had to busk a 2 1/2 hour Frank Zappa set :)

Steve[/quote]
They do 'Adult' nappies dont they.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='425750' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:23 AM']I read it, and its complete sh*te, but interesting I guess, just sounds like a man with an attitude problem.[/quote]

+1

Gonna admit I only read parts of it but from what I read it went:

Interviewer: Some people think that you're a good bass player
Guy: I'm really not, I hate myself and playing bass

(if anyone wants to offer a correct condensed version that'd be great though)

Ok, this is a blog from his myspace site that might give an added insight, agian, it's a bit long and you may not care to read it, but it's interesting and he's obviously a difficult character .. **fair bit bit of rather fruity language warning**

[url="http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=78868117&blogId=341428272"]http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=341428272[/url]

Thank you, my dear fans, for all your good wishes on my comments. I don't get around to writing back to you all, but my feelings of good will toward all men are increased dramatically whenever I rest my weary eyes upon your kind words. It means the mostest to me, and I wanted to let each and every one of you kind-hearted souls how much it meant to me.

So here goes.

I'm very happy. I don't worry too much about anything. My children - knock on wood - are pretty much on that gentle kind of autopilot that makes it easy to solve the problems that do come up: self-esteem issues, following parental orders, learning to be patient. My wife has a great thing going on (knock on wood) that makes it easy to to perform my husbandly and familial and household duties.

Have I told you how hot she is? Like fire, that girl. And so sweet it aches. A wonderful, deeply spiritual (without the organized mumbo-jumbo nor belief system to bog her down) person who knows what I like and makes it happen. Regularly.

But Music. Man. What a trip.

I'm still getting messages and sh*t stating that people just don't understand how I could not be playing music anymore, even after all I've writtened and spokened.

"If I could play half as well as you I'd never put it down!" Well, thank you very very much for the extremely complimentary words, but man, don't you get it?

I love having the ability to play the bass as well as I do. I don't think I've writtened or spokened that before, so let me be clear: I love playing the bass. I love making music with the bass, and I love making people happy playing the bass.

I even love holding it, coaxing sounds out of it, rocking the motherf***ing house with it, and rubbing it gently and roughly between the lovely legs of groupies and women I meet on the street.

It's a GREAT instrument to bang on. And I do mean laying a woman down on top of it and f***ing her.

It's also a great INSTRUMENT. My 1963 P-Bass will live with me forever. When I die, it goes to the wife. If she doesn't want it, it's the children's.

It does everything a musical instrument should. It goes KABOOM all the time. It sweetly sings, and it loves me back, as much as I love it.

BUT GOD MOTHERf***ing PISSBUCKET!!!! I HATE playing it live in front of other humans. It's just not what I'm looking for in my life.

I have so much more interesting and satisfying and fulfilling things on my plate that it just doesn't cut the Mendocino Mustard (w/horseradish).

I would much rather play the piano, for instance. It's so cool! Playing the piano means never having to say you're playing the bass.

You take one Scott Thunes and hand him a 1963 P-Bass, put him live on stage - or sit him down in front of a producer, artist, and engineer in the studio - and you'll get something close to Andy Partridge having a nervous breakdown and leaving the stage.

Last time I played, I was *pretty* safe, and I still had bucket loads of angst and artistic tension.

But at my house? I'm God. I'm totally and unbiasedly loved to the most extreme degree imaginable. All the time. Well, most of the time. OK, some of the time. But Still!

It's just not fair to compare. Life beats live bass playing everytime.

I just wrote a piece of music for the wife for Christmas. Garageband supplied the bass for it, and man, it sounded good. Damn good. It kicked motherf***ing ass. I could have spent hours making it sound that good with my instrutement and it would have had, oh, sure, some personality, but it wouldn't have SOUNDED GOOD. Hell, Frank preferred the Synclavier near the end of his career, and he played with the 'World's Finest Musicians' his entire life. You gonna make an argument with him?

I have what I need, the bass doesn't supply it. My wife, my children, my cats and my piano. My computer, my beer, my new house and my children's school. I'm f***ing so bloody happy it can't be calculated on an Earth-sized computer (although 42 is really quite close to the real answer it's not funny).

I love you you guys, and thanks again for your continued patronage of this site.

Merry Christmas, fans!

• 2 weeks later...

Just been searching around..and Ive found out how little and biased the interview actually is in its edited form...In Wictors book it is practically half the book.

A late night discussion with a buddy (at 3AM,it was lunch for him) and a root about reveals that Scott,is a man of many talents,and is still available...but dont try to add him on Facebook.

This is him and a mate,and the kids....
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwbb_-yR4o&eurl=http://www.geoscott.com/index.shtml"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwbb_-yR4o...com/index.shtml[/url]

This man is an incredible musician,that has found happiness.

• 3 weeks later...

Scott Resurfaces ... Bass Player this month has a soapbox article from him and a transcription of his bass line on Alien Orifice ..

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/frank-zappas-alien/apr-09/94337"]Article about Scott Thunes' Alien Orifice bass line[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Earbrass' post='426514' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:49 PM'][attachment=21535:s2_les.jpg][/quote]

MB1. :)
....Les Mcqueen/Rhythm Guitar/Creme Brulee................"This is the part,where you sh*t yourself!...i'nt it Jay?". :rolleyes:

[quote name='OldGit' post='454797' date='Apr 5 2009, 05:40 PM']Scott Resurfaces ... Bass Player this month has a soapbox article from him and a transcription of his bass line on Alien Orifice ..

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/frank-zappas-alien/apr-09/94337"]Article about Scott Thunes' Alien Orifice bass line[/url][/quote]

Fantastic! Just picked up a copy. Thanks.

[quote name='MB1' post='454903' date='Apr 5 2009, 08:50 PM']MB1. :)
....Les Mcqueen/Rhythm Guitar/Creme Brulee................"This is the part,where you sh*t yourself!...i'nt it Jay?". :rolleyes:[/quote]

I did know who Creme Brulée were but I've forgotten...it was a terrible tale of betrayal wasn't it? Who was it?

edit: It was League of Gentlemen, dummy.

I did LOL and cringe my way through those sketches. There's a covers band have 'borrowed' the name www.creme-brulee.co.uk

Edited by bremen

[quote name='bremen' post='455254' date='Apr 6 2009, 11:03 AM']I did know who Creme Brulée were but I've forgotten...it was a terrible tale of betrayal wasn't it? Who was it?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Glam Rock band Creme Brulee (Voodoo Lady) featured in The League of Gentlemen.
The vocalist blagged (Rhythm Guitarist) Les Mcqueen out of his Redundancy Money,with stories of a return to there former Glory!

[quote name='MB1' post='455248' date='Apr 6 2009, 11:00 AM']MB1. :D
Check out "Zoot Allures" off the "Best band you've never heard!" cd to see just how bad this guy claims to be! :) ;)[/quote]

One of my favourite CDs of all time .. Love that version of Stairway to Heaven :rolleyes:
I think I've given about 5 copies of it to Zappa non-believers down the years a gentle introduction to the man, the music, the moustache ...