Why become a member? ×

The most interesting interview with a bassist ..

xilddx

[quote name='OldGit' post='455360' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:02 PM']One of my favourite CDs of all time .. Love that version of Stairway to Heaven :)[/quote]

It's astonishing to hear a big horn section play that solo note-for-note, complete with all the little twists and turns.

One of the very many things I love about Zappa is that his pastiches were always sympathetic. Cruising With Reuben and the Jets really takes the piss, but you can tell how much he loved the music he was parodying.

He was never one to bother about genres :-)

[quote name='bremen' post='455370' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:07 PM']It's astonishing to hear a big horn section play that solo note-for-note, complete with all the little twists and turns.

One of the very many things I love about Zappa is that his pastiches were always sympathetic. Cruising With Reuben and the Jets really takes the piss, but you can tell how much he loved the music he was parodying.

He was never one to bother about genres :-)[/quote]

Yep that version of Stairway was playing on the radio one afternoon when I switched it on in about 1992 or so.
I was gobsmacked - what was this amazing horn thing with a huge smile plastered all over it? I was truly amazed to hear it was Zappa.
I had very little idea about FZ before that other than he was "weird"..

Blimey, it must be Scott Thunes day or something. I just received a lovely (and long) You Tube PM from one of his friends who used to play in a band with him, commenting on my vid of me playing the bass to Dupree's Paradise. Apparently Scott is playing again but only in a couple of local bar bands, so not to get my hopes up. How nice! :)