Why become a member? ×

My Sunday project.

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='421988' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:24 PM']I already have a problem, the hole in the body and the neck don't match up.

Do I drill new holes in the neck or spend ages sanding the pocket until the line up?[/quote]

Are you sure the holes would line up if you sanded the pocket?

If the spacing between the holes is different on neck and body, then no amount of sanding the pocket is going to help you - it might let you get screws in one or two of the holes in the neck.... and even worse, the neck alignment may well be wrong too!

If it was me, I'd drill out the original neck holes a bit wider, glue some dowels in there to fill the holes, and then re-drill new holes to match those in the body.

Although thinking about it, if you're planning to use a neck plate rather than individual neck screw ferrules, it would probably be beneficial to do the above to the body rather than the neck... cos then if you ever fancied a J profile or a fretted neck, then you'd stand a good chance of another Squier neck dropping straight in.

I'm no luthier though, just a happy-go-lucky wood butcher. :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='422044' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:37 PM']The OLP neck i put on my musicman didn't line up properly either, i think one hole kind of lined up and none of the rest did. I stuffed that one hole with matchsticks (no glue) and redrilled, i also drilled 5 more holes in it and it's strong as anything. I've gigged it too :) nowt wrong with drilling extra holes![/quote]

Not going to screw up intonation then?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='422037' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:32 PM']The spacing is the same on both, would it all go wrong if I drilled new holes?[/quote]

If you're considering drilling new holes without filling the original ones first, then you run the risk of weakening the wood to the extent that the screws might not get a good grip in there. It's only a risk if the new holes are fairly close to the old ones.... which seems fairly likely if the spacing pattern is the same. Can you fit the neck to the body and mark the neck through the holes in the body to see how far out the new holes would need to be from the old ones?

The most important thing is that you have the neck fixed to the body in the right place... if it's too far to the left or right then the strings may end up too close to one side of the fretb...errm.. fingerboard. If it's out lengthways then you may have intonation troubles depending on the range of adjustment on your bridge. Unless your fingerboard is unlined, in which case it's a bit of a non-issue anyway :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='422048' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:41 PM']Not going to screw up intonation then?[/quote]
I'm not sure, mine seemed to intonate fairly easily, and it was a couple of mm back in the neck pocket because the end of the neck doesn't sit perfectly in the pocket. It was only a cheap project, so i wasn't too concerned, if there is a slight difference, i doubt it will be too noticable.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='422057' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:54 PM']I've got filler so filling won't be a problem, I have to postpone though I have to go to work tomorrow now :)[/quote]
Don't use filler - a bunch of cocktail sticks & some epoxy, tap them in & trim them flush with a Stanley knife blade once the epoxy's set. This is a good way of making a rock-solid plug for any size hole, & can be re-drilled if necessary - also ideal if the bridge needs to be moved for intonation or alignment.

Jon.

whats with the gap between the neck and the pickguard?

EDIT: gap in the pickguard, i realise theres no gap in the body and it wont make any difference except the way it looks.

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='steve' post='422365' date='Mar 1 2009, 01:56 PM']have the gaps where the frets used to be been filled?[/quote]

I had a defretted Jazz bass for a little while and the fret gaps weren't filled in but you couldn’t feel it at all when you played it. It was very professionally defretted before I got my mucky mitts on it though :)