Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Duarte

NBD Double whammy!

Recommended Posts

Well, 2 in a week...

For one reason or another, I found myself in Bangkok without a bass for a year. The Sterling lives with his grandparents back in England, and my  life has been in a bit of a funk, sans funk. So when I was ordered to work from home, first thing I did was buy an early 90's Japanese Fender Jazz, and she's a beaut! My girlfriend heard me playing and decided she wants to learn, but needs a smaller bass. So we got out hands on a little Aria Pro II, also from Japan. Totalling £500 for the pair.

I now feel as if the floodgates have once again opened, there's a Japanese made Stingray (yes, that is a thing) advertised online that is calling my name.

Customary pic. His and hers:

 

The Family.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duarte said:

The Sterling lives with his grandparents back in England, and my  life has been in a bit of a funk, sans funk.

Great line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And damn. £500 for Both! Nice work. Especially like the look of the Aria, but then I am a long time fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Duarte the Stingray EX (Japanese MM) are

absolutely bonkers - really nice, I picked one up for @TheGreek about 2 years ago and was so so jealous.

If you can find one, you’ll be chuffed - I can’t believe there’s not more of an import market going on for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

And damn. £500 for Both! Nice work. Especially like the look of the Aria, but then I am a long time fan. 

I have just realised the perks of living in Asia - basses like this are abundant and priced low here. The Aria is technically hers, which makes me jealous, as it plays soo damn well. The neck on it is sublime! I've never played a neck that doesn't become wider towards the top end - this thing feels the same all the way to the top.

Plus it sounds fat as hell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

@Duarte the Stingray EX (Japanese MM) are

absolutely bonkers - really nice, I picked one up for @TheGreek about 2 years ago and was so so jealous.

If you can find one, you’ll be chuffed - I can’t believe there’s not more of an import market going on for them.

I've found one, it's gorgeous, natural 3-band EQ with the old style mute bridge. £720 equivalent.

Maybe next paycheck... how many basses is too many for one week? paycheck comes at the start of next week

Stinger.jpg

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Whoa! And that’s what I’d buy!

I'd have it right now if I hadn't bought 2 basses this week. There's always next week...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Duarte said:

Well, 2 in a week...

For one reason or another, I found myself in Bangkok without a bass for a year. The Sterling lives with his grandparents back in England, and my  life has been in a bit of a funk, sans funk. So when I was ordered to work from home, first thing I did was buy an early 90's Japanese Fender Jazz, and she's a beaut! My girlfriend heard me playing and decided she wants to learn, but needs a smaller bass. So we got out hands on a little Aria Pro II, also from Japan. Totalling £500 for the pair.

 

The Family.jpg

Really nice. The Aria is a good choice, Kim Deal played one, enough said. 😀

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Duarte said:

I've found one, it's gorgeous, natural 3-band EQ with the old style mute bridge. £720 equivalent.

Maybe next paycheck... how many basses is too many for one week? paycheck comes at the start of next week

Stinger.jpg

Hi Zak that's an absolute beauty - I can't see you not buying it - I certainly would!! I've still got your ex Bongo btw 👍

The Jazz and Aria look good as well - a lot of people played Aria's in the 80s along with Ibanez Musicians (now there's a thing - you might find one if the rarer ones in Asia - eg in white). Those Arias sound great. 

Edited by drTStingray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Really nice. The Aria is a good choice, Kim Deal played one, enough said. 😀

 

 

Probably my favourite Bass Player. Love the tone she gets with the Pro Cardinal Bass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Hi Zak that's an absolute beauty - I can't see you not buying it - I certainly would!! I've still got your ex Bongo btw 👍

The Jazz and Aria look good as well - a lot of people played Aria's in the 80s along with Ibanez Musicians (now there's a thing - you might find one if the rarer ones in Asia - eg in white). Those Arias sound great. 

The Jazz and Aria are wonderful, but that Stingray is another level of splendour.

So great that you still have the Bongo, I'm glad it's in good hands. Which one did you end up with, the Lava Pearl or Egyptian Smoke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Duarte said:

The Jazz and Aria are wonderful, but that Stingray is another level of splendour.

So great that you still have the Bongo, I'm glad it's in good hands. Which one did you end up with, the Lava Pearl or Egyptian Smoke?

It's the lava pearl one! 

image.jpeg.02c5733f91160832d404c990af71e54b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, drTStingray said:

It's the lava pearl one! 

image.jpeg.02c5733f91160832d404c990af71e54b.jpeg

What a monster. I miss my music mans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice haul for one week!

Have to say if there's one trade deal I'd like the government to sort out it would be free imports from Japan. 

Everytime I'm looking for a bass on eBay there's an abundance of them in Japan in cooler/rare finishes 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...