Why become a member? ×

Nikki Sixx sig Thunderbird arrived!

spacebeer

Always wanted to have one of these and I really liked the trans cherry red finish with solid flame maple wings. The fretboard is ebony too which I absolutely love (also on my guitars). I was a little afraid about the neck dive issue these are supposed to have but I have to say it doesn't nose dive at all, they repositioned the front strap buttons which works great! It's still not as well balanced as my Music Man stingray, but it's pretty close to my pleasant surprise!

The sound is absolutely killer, a lot of clarity and punch without sacrificing low end. I have to say, and I am really surprised at this, it sounds fatter and heavier than my stingray. It "only" has 4 strings and 20 frets (34,5" scale) but that's enough for me, I am a happy camper. Now only Dean needs to release a high quality usa bass!

PS the pics don't do the finish justice, it was way to dark making the guitar look almost black.

[quote name='spacebeer' post='417679' date='Feb 23 2009, 06:42 PM']LOL thanks, not a Motley Crue fan though that scratchplate has gotta go ;-)[/quote]
Did you post about this bass previously? And I said not to remove the scratchplate?

If so, I can't believe you've got your hands on this thing and are still going to take the very essence of it away. Without the major cheese & sleeze, it's just a Thunderbird. ;)

If it wasn't you then that's even worse, that means there's two heretics on BassChat. :P

Lovely jubbly.

Just a point to mention seeing in your pics you have it on a wall hanger (the headstock sat in the hanger). My T'bird has the finish sort of melted off in the exact same positions as the wall hanger holds the headstock. I think it must have been a reaction with the finish and the hanger.

[quote name='Eight' post='417877' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:21 PM']Did you post about this bass previously? And I said not to remove the scratchplate?

If so, I can't believe you've got your hands on this thing and are still going to take the very essence of it away. Without the major cheese & sleeze, it's just a Thunderbird. ;)

If it wasn't you then that's even worse, that means there's two heretics on BassChat. :P[/quote]

That's what i'm thinking, if you don't like the scratchplate then what makes it different from a normal thunderbird which is probably a lot cheaper?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='418252' date='Feb 24 2009, 01:05 PM']That's what i'm thinking, if you don't like the scratchplate then what makes it different from a normal thunderbird which is probably a lot cheaper?[/quote]

quite a lot actually, this one has a 7-ply mahogany/walnut neckthru construction with solid flame maple wings whereas the "standard" thunderbird has full mahogany construction. The "normal" thunderbird has a rosewood fretboard whereas this one has an ebony fretboard. The control configuration is also different tone/vol/killswitch. Plus this one has IMO a nicer finish and was about the same price.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='418330' date='Feb 24 2009, 02:00 PM']How does that work then?

Oh and nice bass there, i have to say, that and the new epi thunderbird pros are really the only thunderbirds i like. I love the maple wings and trans finish, gorgeous[/quote]

Well onthe gibson site it says that the opti grab is just something Nikki uses to strawl the abss around the stage with. I don't think it has anything to do with the nose diving, it's far to light for that, it's just a metal ring which you can grab or support your hand with. I dunno but like I said the guitar doesn't nose dive so no need for the opti grab if it was meant for that.

Edited by spacebeer

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='420600' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:46 AM']On the neck dive issue, do Firebirds suffer from the same affliction? Before anyone says anything I know the length of a bass neck alters the centre of gravity and there's more weight in the neck etc.
P[/quote]

It depends how you play your bass and how big you are. If you play them higher up (ala John Entwhistle) or you're big/tall you don't get as much neck dive with either. I don't seem to get much neck dive with any of the thunderbirds/firebirds/explorers I've played.