Why become a member? ×

Lipstick PUPs

Beedster

I've decided to install a lipstick J-PUP on my Telecaster. I think this is the best balance between getting a slightly more versatile sound and not destroying the aesthetic and feel of the bass too much. I was sure Fralin did one but can't find any evidence (have they discontinued or was I dreaming)? I know Kent Armstong have them, anyone have any opinions on these? Any other lipsticks I should consider? Anyone got one they don't want?
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='416049' date='Feb 21 2009, 11:12 AM']I've decided to install a lipstick J-PUP on my Telecaster. I think this is the best balance between getting a slightly more versatile sound and not destroying the aesthetic and feel of the bass too much. I was sure Fralin did one but can't find any evidence (have they discontinued or was I dreaming)? I know Kent Armstong have them, anyone have any opinions on these? Any other lipsticks I should consider? Anyone got one they don't want?
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

I don't know how easy they'd be to find Chris but Warwick did an MEC lipstick pup for their Fortress Flashback bass. It might be worth a punt on the Warwick forum, if you can't be ars*d to register I can stick a thread up for you if you want!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='416063' date='Feb 21 2009, 11:30 AM']I don't know how easy they'd be to find Chris but Warwick did an MEC lipstick pup for their Fortress Flashback bass. It might be worth a punt on the Warwick forum, if you can't be ars*d to register I can stick a thread up for you if you want![/quote]

they're still on the MEC website here:

[url="http://www.mec-pickups.de/modules/products/product.php?katID=15040&cl=EN"]http://www.mec-pickups.de/modules/products...15040&cl=EN[/url]

As i have already mentioned the Kent's are very nice pickups but the twin jazz MEC looks the business! and if its anything like the standard MEC twin jazz should sound fantastic, tempted with a set for my ASB 140 with the single right up a the neck position.

Found a link for you Chris, if you go for them let us know how they sound.

[url="http://www.banzaieffects.com/MEC-M-60169-pr-13613.html#tabs"]MEC LIPSTICKS[/url]

Edited by steve-norris

Those MEC lipsticks look the biz! I'd imagine they don't sound too different from the normal ones though, which get mixed reviews. Definitely a try before you buy, but at that price it might be worth taking a punt and if you don't like them, I'm sure someone out there (or even on here!) will take them off your hands!

Danny

Another option might be these [url="http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/thundertron.htm"]TV JONES THUNDERTRON[/url] The output might have more of a chance of keeping up with the mudbucker

[center][/center]

Thanks for all the above guys. I've done some research on this over the last few days and it's starting to look like I'm up a creek without a paddle here PUP-wise, at least if I intend to keep the bass as essentially a Telecaster. I love the feel and the vibe of the bass but the sound I'm getting is ultimately a Precision sound, and I'm getting this by cutting the lows and boosting the low mids to quite a degree (and if I cut the low mids and boost the lows on my Precision I get the Tele sound also ;)). As has been pointed out on one of the threads on the Tele, adding another PUP to the humbucker might not provide the solution I'm looking for as the humbucker is a bloody monster OP wise. Also, if I modify the humbucker to reduce the OP I feel I'm no longer playing a Telecaster Bass, and, call me a nostaligic fool, I don't want to take a lovely old Fender and turn it into something sounding completely different. Having spoken to a couple of people who've modded the Tele PUP I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't be overly happy with the sound anyway.
I'm going to think on this one for a while :P

I have the Kent Armstrong Jazz lipsticks on my Highway1 jazz. I also have a J-retro fitted so any comments about how good they sound probably won't mean much, but the bass does sound blummin' great.

I expect Aaron Armstrong would be able to custom wind a jazz lipstick for you with a higher output to match that of your existing pickup. I recall the Lakland Jerry Scheff used custom Armstrong lipsticks with the bridge one overwound to compensate for the wider spacing between the pickups.