Why become a member? ×

Really stupid PUP question.......

Beedster

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='415974' date='Feb 21 2009, 09:07 AM']The back/rear/bridge pup on some sets of pups is marginally wider than the front/neck pup[/quote]

+1

A rear Jazz pickup will be slightly longer than the front, and this is just due to the pole pieces of the front pickup having to be slightly closer to each other because of the change in string spacing the further down the bass you get.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='415974' date='Feb 21 2009, 09:07 AM']The back/rear/bridge pup on some sets of pups is marginally wider than the front/neck pup[/quote]

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='415988' date='Feb 21 2009, 09:43 AM']+1

A rear Jazz pickup will be slightly longer than the front, and this is just due to the pole pieces of the front pickup having to be slightly closer to each other because of the change in string spacing the further down the bass you get.[/quote]

It wasn't until you used the term 'longer' that I realised that I had used the term 'wider', I obviously meant the same thing because the pups aren't in fact any 'wider' if you are talking the distance across them... Argh this is doing my head in! ;)

wider / longer / longer / wider / whatever

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='416006' date='Feb 21 2009, 10:25 AM']It wasn't until you used the term 'longer' that I realised that I had used the term 'wider', I obviously meant the same thing because the pups aren't in fact any 'wider' if you are talking the distance across them... Argh this is doing my head in! ;)

wider / longer / longer / wider / whatever[/quote]

:P I know exactly what you mean... :huh:

:)

[quote name='Beedster' post='415914' date='Feb 21 2009, 12:42 AM']Need to buy some PUPs from the USA and don't know which is 'front' and which is 'rear'. Please don't tell anyone ;)[/quote]
If they are both the same size get your multi-meter out and measure the impedence,the bridge is usually a little bit more to compensate for lack of string movement,if you don't have a meter,go get one!! :P

Thanks for the above guys. John, I'm with you on the width thing, after all we talk inn terms of width at the nut and at the bridge so it makes sense that the bridge PUP is wider than the neck PUP.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='416166' date='Feb 21 2009, 02:36 PM']You see , Chris , what happens. You will insist on playing these new fangled Jazz bass things. If you'd have stuck with the P's............

I knew there'd be tears :P[/quote]

LOL, this is a lipstick for my Telecaster Bass mate. Can't quitre get to grips with ordering lipstick but there we are ;)

Ahhhh - you're wanting a bit of definition to go with the front humbucker.

Well - I stuck a Jazz pup (something like a dimarzio) on mine , and being a telebass I wired it through a telecaster 3 way switch.

I had problems. I could never get the pickup vol levels anything like equal. The J on it's own was too out gunned and the two combined sounded like.........well , nothing to be honest. Just a bit piddly. I had a guitar sparky mess around with it and he managed to reduce the humbuckers output which helped a tad but all it was really doing was taking away rather than adding.

I'm sure you've better ideas than I had but thought I'd mention it. Got a pic somewhere , I'll try and dig it out.

here it is - had a Jazz fretless neck on at the time. Looking at the pic I wish I still had it , but I was so frustrated after years of trying to get it how I wanted I broke it and sold it for parts. It was a 72 , serial 384915 if anybody here ended up with the neckplate!!

Come to think of it - was it you who bought that badass or did I buy it from you?? Christ knows - my memory's a piece of crap these days.

Just found this too and scanned it. This must be about 1990 so I can't have got the bridge off you. My mae had just done the routing and I'd put the J pup in that day. The pup cover was just painted white. There was no switching at this point , just the two pups wired together.

The pic makes my hair look dark rather than the colour I was born with - grey !!!

Edited by Dr.Dave

I found out that they are different sizes only after I had spent an afternoon taking out the originals and soldering in my new wizards. Was feeling very pleased with myself, until I went to refit the pickguard. ;)

I know, yes it was very stupid, but it took me a time a suss what I had done wrong, got to admit to thinking of filing the pickguard to make it fit, rather than unsolder everything.