Why become a member? ×

Has anyone done the Shuker Self Build course?

Peter Train

I read the cutom build diaries and looked at the photos of the Shuker basses and thought they looked great so I had a look at the Shuker web site. I really like the idea of buidling my own bass but I've no where to build it at home so the 5 day course looked like a reasonable idea.

However, the web site gives no details of prices and says that you gat the option to build one of five guitars (hardy custom I know). I wondered if anyone here had done the course and if so what they thought of the bass produced at the end and the cost?

Any photos would be good if you have any.

Ta

Pete

[quote name='budget bassist' post='415903' date='Feb 21 2009, 12:06 AM']that would be him ;) the "taitycaster" i believe![/quote]

Yep - and here's his thread from the build. I've played the bass (I'm his Dad!) and it's actually very nice indeed. Pm Luke, and I'm sure he'll tell you how good the course is.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15736&hl=lwtait"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...6&hl=lwtait[/url]

Edited by simon1964

only just seen this! yeah, excellent course! definatly worth it, the taitycaster is now my main bass, and is perfect in my eyes. its a great week, if youve got the money and want to do it, go for it. if you've got any questions that you need answering from the point of view of someone whos done it, PM me.

oh, and you said about the one of 5 guitars. thats for the 5 person course, which is about £600 IIRC. they're also only held at certain times, i remember i had to wait a good few months if i wanted to do the 5 person course. if you want to do the one-to-one course, you can do pretty much anything you want, and much sooner, but for about a grand. jon quoted mine at £950 but then i added the precision pup so i paid £990 in the end. that reminds me, i've still got to pay my parents back for that ;) (i have got the money, honest)

you can see the outcome in my avatar, or in the link my dad (simon1964) posted.

Edited by LWTAIT

Thanks for all the replies.

This is great information. I've just read the thread about the build of the Taitycaster from start to finish and it looks a fine bass. If anyone hasn't read this thread it its well work a read. I'm so impressed that I've pursuaded my wife that it would be a good 50th birthday present for me next year. (Long time planning I know but t least there's time to save up) I've e mailed Shuker for details of courses, but I'd have to do the 5 person one as the 1:1 course is out of my price range.

I'm a bit nervouse about having to carve the neck by hand as I'd be worried about it just coming out a mess.
I'm also nervous about how the fret slots are cut as I imagine it's easy to make a mess of the fretboard.

If it comes off I'll post photos.

Cheers

Pete

[quote name='Peter Train' post='416262' date='Feb 21 2009, 05:51 PM']I'm a bit nervouse about having to carve the neck by hand as I'd be worried about it just coming out a mess.
I'm also nervous about how the fret slots are cut as I imagine it's easy to make a mess of the fretboard.[/quote]

don't worry about the neck, i was worried about that but jon won't let anything bad happen. it takes so long that before you can do any damage jon will have stopped you. it's fairly simple, too, once you know what you're doing? are you right handed? if so you'll use the correct tool for the job, i had to use a file cos jon didn't have a lefty tool ;)

the frets are easy, jon has a machine. IIRC the only way you can go wrong is by not applying enough pressure onto the fretboard when moving it across, but jon will explain about that.

don't be nervous about any of it, it's actually quite easy if you do what jon says.

oh, and just so you know, the basschat member jono has been on the 5 person course, but i've not seen him post in a while.

[quote name='Peter Train' post='415880' date='Feb 20 2009, 11:36 PM']I read the cutom build diaries and looked at the photos of the Shuker basses and thought they looked great so I had a look at the Shuker web site. I really like the idea of buidling my own bass but I've no where to build it at home so the 5 day course looked like a reasonable idea.

However, the web site gives no details of prices and says that you gat the option to build one of five guitars (hardy custom I know). I wondered if anyone here had done the course and if so what they thought of the bass produced at the end and the cost?

Any photos would be good if you have any.

Ta

Pete[/quote]

That's on my "Things to do before I'm 50/55/60/65 " list too.
You'd be in fine hands. Jon is a great guy and, as Taity says, he won't let anything bad happen ...

I've been wanting to do the course for a while now, it's also incredibly convenient for me (since his workshop is literally about 15 mins away from my house) But I'm failing to get the money together. Keep ending up buying instruments instead ;)

Hey,

Ive been speaking to Jon about doing the course this summer as a 30th birthday present to myself ;)

For me, its really about learning the proper ways to do things :P You also come away from it with a full set of instructions and templates for your chosen instrument.

And, its now a 3 person course, so you only need to wait for two others to sign up. Im moving jobs this year, so I need to wait till I can get holidays before I can book onto it, Im aiming maybe for some time in June.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='BassBod' post='417658' date='Feb 23 2009, 06:24 PM'][attachment=20964:DSCN0760.JPG][attachment=20963:DSCN0764.JPG]

Do it - you'll have a great time, and a good bass -

BB[/quote]

ooh did you make that on the shuker course? thats nice. it has quite an ibanezzy look to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also done the course where I made this:

I cannot recommend the course enough. I did the five day one with 3 other students but got more than enough of Jon's expert advice. Total cost was around £600 including materials.

Main thing is I really didn't expect to come with a bass of such quality made from my own hands. Somehow Jon coaxed it out of me!!!

More pics

Nice bass, bad hair.

If there's enough interest I'll post a load more pics on how the below turned into the above!

Edited by Jono