Why become a member? ×

Just got a letter through the post.

mathewsanchez

I've been playing bass about four and a bit years now and for most of that time I have said 'you don't need to be able to read music to be a good musician', which I still kinda stick by. But alas with the possibility of going for a career in music; grades, sight reading and theory are seeming a better idea.

So basically a few months ago I decided to take a grade 3 exam just to try it out and passed with destinction. I found it so easy that i decided to skip to grade 5 which i took a couple of weeks ago. Just a few minutes ago I got the result which is another destinction. Again I havn't really found it very challenging so I have decided to go for grade 8 next time. Obviously grade 8 will be more of a challenge and i'll take a lot longer to practice for it, but I hope to take the exam around the autumn 2009 exam period.

;)

So who else round here has done any grades?

(I realise quite a few people on here will disagree with the formal approach to music but I still only play because I love doing it and I started off completely self taught)

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='415214' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:55 PM']I used to be able to play twinkle twinkle little star on violin when I was about 8 years old. Can't pick one up without damaging someone's hearing now... ;)[/quote]

Well done, son. Can I ask where you did this? I have wanted to do these grades for years but don't know where to go to do them (I left school in 1806).

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='415222' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:00 PM']Well done, son. Can I ask where you did this? I have wanted to do these grades for years but don't know where to go to do them (I left school in 1806).[/quote]
I did it up at a school in Bury St Edmunds with the rockschool exam board. Got the grade books from my local music shop and just learnt the pieces out of the book. I used the application form in the book but I think you can apply online.

Edited by mathewsanchez

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='415222' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:00 PM']Well done, son. Can I ask where you did this? I have wanted to do these grades for years but don't know where to go to do them (I left school in 1806).[/quote]

All the information is available on the Associate Board site: [url="http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams/index.html"]http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams/index.html[/url]

I have grade 8 theory, and grade 6 on the violin, viola and piano. IMO it's all well worth doing. I've been working towards grade 8 on the piano in the last couple of years but its slow going.

Congrats Matthew, and keep going.

My pleasure. Now get on with it! You can buy sample papers at any good music shop - its very worthwhile doing them as you learn the material. Happy to mark them for you if you don't have a teacher and would find it useful.

Martin

Congrats dude!

I passed my grade 8 DB, but only by a few marks. It was right at the time as all my A-levels so it was kinda hard to get it all together is my excuse. It's opened a lot of doors for me - I now play in a few orcestras at uni, and reading music is always helpful.

Congrats - nice one
The Rock school course is a good course and fun too.
I did the grade 8 a couple of years ago and somehow managed to get 91%.
I did the grade 6 a few months before that and got a similar score - and the examiner was gorgeous too! Didn't get her number though...

RGT do bass exams too, [url="http://www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk/exams/bass-guitar.php"]here[/url].
Just need to find some time when i'll be around to actually take it - i've booked it a couple of times but have been away with work when the time came around so cancelled.

I like doing the exams, it gives me something to practice towards and get motivated.
RGT also do popular music theory [url="http://www.popularmusictheory.org/"]here[/url]

Edited by bluesparky

Nice one ;)

I got a merit at grade 8 (RockSchool) in 2003 on the old syllabus, but I’m learning to new syllabus and I want to take that soon just as a means on keeping a bit of focus on practice time – you lose so much when you stop for any period of time, and unfortunately it’s definitely not like riding a bike…

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='415210' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:49 PM']I've been playing bass about four and a bit years now and for most of that time I have said 'you don't need to be able to read music to be a good musician', which I still kinda stick by. But alas with the possibility of going for a career in music; grades, sight reading and theory are seeming a better idea.

So basically a few months ago I decided to take a grade 3 exam just to try it out and passed with destinction. I found it so easy that i decided to skip to grade 5 which i took a couple of weeks ago. Just a few minutes ago I got the result which is another destinction. Again I havn't really found it very challenging so I have decided to go for grade 8 next time. Obviously grade 8 will be more of a challenge and i'll take a lot longer to practice for it, but I hope to take the exam around the autumn 2009 exam period.

:P

(I realise quite a few people on here will disagree with the formal approach to music but I still only play because I love doing it and I started off completely self taught)[/quote]

Three points:

First: Congratulations!.

Second: If its anything like piano (which my wife teaches) then the step between grade 5 and grade 8 is enormous, so I'd check into it thoroughly before you jump straight to grade 8.

Third: If your hoping that your achievement will help your musical career (I'm sure it will), then I suggest you learn how to spell "Distinction". ;)

Well done to Matthew!

[quote name='Starvolt' post='415327' date='Feb 20 2009, 02:16 PM']I'm just working on my grade 4 at the mo.

It's the large walking bass solo bit I'm having fun with at the mo. I'm doing a jazz piece, so the rhythm is a bit awkward (for me at least).[/quote]

I know the exact one you mean, one of my students is also currently working on this piece. The key to playing this piece well in my opinion is to get the sound and rhythm of jazz, and in particular, jazz bass, into your head. This is generally best achieved through prolonged listening and playing along to jazz. If you don't already have it, buy this, and absorb;

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kind-Blue-Miles-Davis/dp/B000024F6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235396562&sr=8-1"]Kind Of Blue[/url]

Jennifer

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='415265' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:26 PM']It's a shame the Associate Board don't do electric bass grades. I might have a pop at a double bass exam with them though.[/quote]
Don't be daft, the electric bass has only been around since 1951. Far too modern for them! ;)

Well done on the theory though. Learning that will open a few doors for pro work, if you fancy that route.

I have a distinction at grade 7 standard, and i have my grade 8 on sunday.
What exam board are you doing? Im doing rock school, but to be honest, i find it alot easier than I found my associated board grade 8 pieces for trombone!
The theory side of things, and the scales and aural tests are barley covered in rockschool, compared with my experiences on the trombone at least!

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='415210' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:49 PM']I've been playing bass about four and a bit years now and for most of that time I have said 'you don't need to be able to read music to be a good musician', which I still kinda stick by. But alas with the possibility of going for a career in music; grades, sight reading and theory are seeming a better idea.

;)

(I realise quite a few people on here will disagree with the formal approach to music but I still only play because I love doing it and I started off completely self taught)[/quote]

Congrats on getting your grades.

Did up to grade 5 guitar and started 6 but didn't finish it. Overall made a huge difference to my knowledge because I started exploring a lot of the theory behind it. I suppose it is not for everyone but it worked for me.

Edited by High score