Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang and Squire Bronco

Daveox

I currently own a modified bronco, is that the same size neck and body as a mustang?

when I play the bronco I get some fret buzz, even though the guitar is set up, but when I play other short scale or full scale I don’t. When I compare the  heads all heads seem more ankled back so strings are more stretched over the nut compared to the bronco whose head is straighter.

i was thinking of buying a mustang but don’t want the same fuzz problems, any other good short scale options?

I don't want to seem contrary but if the Bronco were properly set up - neck relief, saddle height, neck angle are set properly and the frets levelled - you wouldn't get fret buzz.  Nowt to do with body shape and/or neck dimensions.

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to adjust the truss rod. Bronco neck's are brilliant. Did you change strings recently? Different strings have different tensions, as such if the new strings have less tension than the previous there will be fret buzz, the solution is to either raise the height of the bridge saddles or adjust the truss rod. 

I just bought one of the Classic Vibe Squier Mustangs and it really nice apart from the tuners which are made from play doh if I`m not mistaken.

I looked at buying a Bronco for half the price but I would have spent a good few bob getting it to what I would want it to be so got the Mustang.

16 hours ago, Daveox said:

I currently own a modified bronco, is that the same size neck and body as a mustang?

Pretty much, yes.

when I play the bronco I get some fret buzz, even though the guitar is set up, but when I play other short scale or full scale I don’t.

If you've got fret-buzz it's 99.999% a set-up issue

When I compare the  heads all heads seem more ankled back so strings are more stretched over the nut compared to the bronco whose head is straighter.

You're right that strings need to break over the nut at an angle. But the Fender approach (headstock parallel to fretboard) resolves this by setting the headstock behind the line of the fretboard. If you re-string in a way that the string exits the tuner from it's lowest point the break angle will suffice.

i was thinking of buying a mustang but don’t want the same fuzz problems, any other good short scale options?

If the Mustang is set up correctly you won't get intrusive fret buzz, so you won't need to look at other options. Buy one and enjoy it.

But if you really want to explore the market then the little Ibanez Talmans and the short-scale Gretschs get some love round here :)

• Like 1