Why become a member? ×

what have i bought?, possible japcrap pbass content!.

gafbass02

I just picked this up from ebay I was expecting it to be something like an encore etc, but its clearly older. Its very worn and the neck is massive it came in a nice old hard case too, and despite the massive hum i get in my house it sounds fine. I cant get the action super, super low as i like, but certainly low enough! if i go too low it makes the very top of the neck choke out.

Anyone got any ideas what it is?, its very aged although i have cleaned it up rather. I cant seem to shield it as well i can my jazzes, ive covered the cavities in self adhesive shielding stuff from basspartsresource as i do on my jazzes but it still picks up all the dimmer switch noise in my house (goes away to some extent when i touch the strings) Should i get one one of those 'eliminator plates' for P bass they have on basspartsresource? Anyone tried one?, do they go under the pickguard?

I want to fit an anodised gold pickguard but I cant seem to find one, anyone either got one going or know where i can get one at a decent price?

The previous owner has stripped the headstock and i cant make out what it said before, the pics are off my phone so not great, my first thought was sumbro but im no expert!
It seems very solid and well built the neck pocket has a B in it, and the pups say S and N on the bottom.

Any ideas?, there is also a truss rod access cutaway.
im very pleased with it but would like to make it better and find out more if i can.

photobucket is just crashing my browser so im gonna have to do the pics like this for now:

see flickr album below (my first linky thing hooray me!!)

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/34605698@N04/"]flickr album[/url]

Edited by gafbass02

No idea what that is but it looks pretty decent from the pics.

It's probably not a Sumbro. Sumbro was Summerfield Brothers budget brand, which pre-dated the better quality CSLs that came from the same factory as Ibanez & MIJ Fenders. I'd expect to see early Jap traits & cheap ply construction on a Sumbro - but this looks both accurate & quality from the pics.

Tbh I couldn't even say if this was JapCrap or not - maybe the letters & numbers will ring a bell for somebody.

Jon.

the gold annodized plate made by fender for the 57ri is quite expensive over here. I got mine in us shipped to a freinds house in texas and his folks shipped it over came to about £15 not including postage. i was quoted £60-80 by shops in UK.

I just sold the P bass in my photo and I know the guy i sold it too was wanting to put the white guard back on so he may have a spare gold one for sale. PM if you are interested and ill put you in touch.

nice looking bass too

cheers dude id love that!
Where is bassassin?, its not normally this long a japcrap thread stays this quiet!
It def seems to be of a much higher quality than most. the brass plate under the pickups is very nicely wired up and the finish is much thinner than the modern thick ones.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='412450' date='Feb 17 2009, 09:20 PM']cheers dude id love that!
Where is bassassin?, its not normally this long a japcrap thread stays this quiet!
It def seems to be of a much higher quality than most. the brass plate under the pickups is very nicely wired up and the finish is much thinner than the modern thick ones.[/quote]
he was the first replier ;)

[quote name='Kev' post='412484' date='Feb 17 2009, 09:43 PM']he was the first replier ;)[/quote]
Thanks for that Kev - I had a worrying existential moment there when I questioned my own existence.

Fortunately I'm OK now, normality has been restored & I appreciate that I'm real, and you lot are merely the ravings of my own diseased imagination. :P

J.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='412520' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:15 PM']Incidentally I need a couple of the scews that go in the back of the machine heads, the big ones that hold them together, or failing that a couple of large based elepant ears, anyone got any I just sold all my flippin spares ..d'oh![/quote]

I have some that may fit PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='412500' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:04 PM']Thanks for that Kev - I had a worrying existential moment there when I questioned my own existence.

Fortunately I'm OK now, normality has been restored & I appreciate that I'm real, and you lot are merely the ravings of my own diseased imagination. ;)

J.[/quote]

out of interest what is the pic in your aviatar?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='412594' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:40 PM']out of interest what is the pic in your aviatar?[/quote]
That's some fairly obscure/weird JapCrap - a Kawai Sleekline (or X-II in Japan) from around 1980:

It originally had a huge & inappropriate scratchplate which did nothing for its already eccentric looks, so I replaced that with the control plate it has now, & added the perspex thumbrest/ramp because I didn't get on using the angled pup end.

I do like obscure vintage JapCrap - anyone know where I can get a Guyatone EB-9?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Gafbass!

Jon.

any pics of it with the big scratchplate bassassin? i like basses with big scratchplates.

oh, and sorry for re-hijacking your thread gafbass02, it was lukeFRC's fault for bringing it up in the first place, blame him.

EDIT: wait, i think i can see where the original pickguard would have gone

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='413385' date='Feb 18 2009, 05:22 PM']any pics of it with the big scratchplate bassassin? i like basses with big scratchplates.

oh, and sorry for re-hijacking your thread gafbass02, it was lukeFRC's fault for bringing it up in the first place, blame him.

EDIT: wait, i think i can see where the original pickguard would have gone[/quote]

'Ere we go:

I don't mind a full-size scratchplate - I just thought that was unsympathetic to the body styling, particularly the top half.

J.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='412181' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:43 PM']I want to fit an anodised gold pickguard but I cant seem to find one, anyone either got one going or know where i can get one at a decent price?[/quote]

[url="http://shop.ebay.com/items/__gold-anodized-pickguard_W0QQ_nkwZgoldQ20anodizedQ20pickguardQ20QQ_cqrZtrueQQ_nkwuscZgoldQQ_nkwuscZanodisedQQ_nkwuscZpickguard"]http://shop.ebay.com/items/__gold-anodized...kwuscZpickguard[/url]

[quote name='gafbass02' post='414579' date='Feb 19 2009, 06:31 PM']Ah ha, I was spelling it wrong! No wonder I never found any cheers dude.[/quote]
No - the Septics are spelling it wrong, as usual! ;)

$19 from Singapore? I know which one I'd go for...

J.